Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 17-03-2016, 04:29   #481

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Bestevaer 49ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
In my opinion it would be silly to have a washing machine without a dryer -- the dryer is the more useful of the two functions. It's not that hard to wash clothes without a machine, but just try drying them in wet weather or underway etc.
The message has sunk in . You have had extensive experience in cold, damp climates, so I have been exploring the options.

I am not keen on a combo unit, even if one could be found in a small size. I think the best solution if we start cruising in an area that a dryer is vital, will be to install an independent unit in the under cockpit area. This will be quite simple to do and venting is not an issue then. I am really not keen having all that moist air being dumped in a small area in a short time.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 05:05   #482

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Considering the issue of drying, not just laundry but weather gear">foul weather gear too, I have a compartment beside the companion way tripling as a shower, a sauna and a wetlocker. To dry gear out an airdryer will be installed. That'll turn it into a big condensing dryer room.

BR Teddy
Wet locker is very important. Mine is next to the companionway, has a drain, and is heated. A marvelous luxury in wet weather.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 05:11   #483

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
The message has sunk in . You have had extensive experience in cold, damp climates, so I have been exploring the options.

I am not keen on a combo unit, even if one could be found in a small size. I think the best solution if we start cruising in an area that a dryer is vital, will be to install an independent unit in the under cockpit area. This will be quite simple to do and venting is not an issue then. I am really not keen having all that moist air being dumped in a small area in a short time.

SWL
If you can find space for a separate dryer, that also doubles your laundry throughput as you can wash and dry at the same time.

You could vent the dryer (or combo unit) through a mushroom vent through the deck. On a metal boat that would not be hard to install. Or duct through the transom together with your galley extract vent (you did specify one of those didn't you?).

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 17-03-2016, 05:49   #484
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
In my opinion it would be silly to have a washing machine without a dryer -- the dryer is the more useful of the two functions. It's not that hard to wash clothes without a machine, but just try drying them in wet weather or underway etc.

You can't use any of these machines while underway so imo it is silly to buy a machine for underway use when that is impossible

For wet weather: sure. Like I wrote before, we just wait for good weather, or we hang it to dry under an awning or in the 2nd head / wet locker etc. Sometimes less machines is better. Now, if I would be sailing in Holland or England where it rains all the time... then I would move to the tropics instead of buying machines to make life possible up there wait, that's what we did already

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 06:13   #485

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
...Or duct through the transom together with your galley extract vent (you did specify one of those didn't you?).

I know, I know, you are a huge fan of galley extraction systems, but this is something I definitely do not need. I am a keen cook and although I find an extraction fan vital at home, I extensively utilise simple cooking techniques on board that result in next to no steam. The advantage of these techniques is that little gas is also consumed, a huge benefit given gas is a pain to source and lug on and off the boat via dinghy.

SWL

Old 17-03-2016, 09:29   #486

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Gas??? GAS???? :-) it's the stuff I get after too many beers. Think very hard about Induction cook top.

Keep a gas oven for when the "leccy" is iffy.

We have an Induction and at the prices these days, you should consider it seriously. We power ours through our 2.5KW Inverter.

GL
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 01:28   #487

Cruisers Forum Supporter

With all this talk of power hungry appliances and being seduced by thoughts of dryers and induction cooking, it is a good thing our first purchase has arrived at KM. Solar panels .

My husband initially had a figure of 1000 watts on his "wish list" and Dykstra Architects have successfully managed to accommodate this.

We have just purchased three high efficiency X21-335 Sunpower black panels.
The size of each is 1046 mm x 1559 mm.

X22s will be available shortly, but we couldn't wait. High efficiency Sunpower panels can be difficult to source (understatement!). The aluminium supporting frame for these was ideally designed for a specific panel size to optimise the number of watts that could be installed, so we were keen to try and source these particular panels at an early stage.

I have a query someone may be able to help with. How much room needs to be left between the panels? Cooling is not an issue as there are holes cut in the frame beneath them with free air circulation. Is expansion with heating a concern? The aluminium frame may possibly expand and contract at a similar rate, so can the solar panels just be butted up together?

SWL

Old 18-03-2016, 02:07   #488

My experience with my solar panel array is they don't need much at all just a few millimetres between panels between mine I have 5mm (millimetres) which is more then enough in the middle of an Aussie summer in the blaring heat all day. Cooling doesn't matter for me because it all slides up the back anyway because of they sit at a good gradient. Would be similar on a boat really and probably better cooled too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DreamerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 02:27   #489

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Gas??? GAS???? :-) it's the stuff I get after too many beers. Think very hard about Induction cook top.

Keep a gas oven for when the "leccy" is iffy.

We have an Induction and at the prices these days, you should consider it seriously. We power ours through our 2.5KW Inverter.

GL
Indeed. Far better farts on board than a fuel-air bomb (I think it's called a thermobaric weapon?), which is propane, which has something like twice the explosive power of TNT per unit of weight. Methane is lighter than air IIRC. Our descendants will look back on our age and shake their heads that anyone could keep heavier than air, explosive gasses on board boats -- it will seem insane to them.

No propane on my next boat. Induction is the thing. You don't actually really need that much power for it either. And doesn't heat up the cabin or inject combustion products into the air, like LPG does.

Walt Whitman
Old 18-03-2016, 02:45   #490
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Catalina 28

A beauty of a boat. Tough too. I'm on their web site often. This boat can fulfill dreams!

Jeff at Safe Sailing Supplies
Jeff.Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 02:47   #491

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You can't use any of these machines while underway so imo it is silly to buy a machine for underway use when that is impossible

For wet weather: sure. Like I wrote before, we just wait for good weather, or we hang it to dry under an awning or in the 2nd head / wet locker etc. Sometimes less machines is better. Now, if I would be sailing in Holland or England where it rains all the time... then I would move to the tropics instead of buying machines to make life possible up there wait, that's what we did already
I use mine underway all the time. Why do you think you can't?

Should be reasonably calm weather and no heel. But motoring in a calm is a perfect time to do laundry -- power it all from the alternator.
Walt Whitman
Old 18-03-2016, 03:01   #492

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
No propane on my next boat. Induction is the thing.
Very sensible for boats designed with a generator based power supply .
A microwave with convection oven would complement this well.

SWL

Old 18-03-2016, 03:47   #493

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Quote:
Washing machine: Candy Aqua 1000 (3.5kg)
Energy consumption:
0.79 kwh per cycle with full load 60° C according to the manufacturer (equivalent to around 66 AHrs @ 12V, or 33 AHrs @ 24V).
Coincidence, I just bought Candy Aqua 1040 for my boat, 4 kg load Looks like very good machine, AND very compact one, will fit nicely under chart table. Lookd like I made a right choice
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 04:12   #494

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Frog View Post
Coincidence, I just bought Candy Aqua 1040 for my boat, 4 kg load Looks like very good machine, AND very compact one, will fit nicely under chart table. Lookd like I made a right choice
I did a huge amount of research before picking the Candy Aqua 1000 about a year ago .

The dimensions of your model are near identical to the 1000 and the 14% increase in capacity is appealing. I have just looked up the Candy website in the UK and the 1040 is not listed. All specs for it are in Russian. Where are you purchasing it from?

SWL

Old 18-03-2016, 04:33   #495

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
I did a huge amount of research before picking the Candy Aqua 1000 about a year ago .

The dimensions of your model are near identical to the 1000 and the 14% increase in capacity is appealing. I have just looked up the Candy website in the UK and the 1040 is not listed. All specs for it are in Russian. Where are you purchasing it from?

SWL
Amazon.uk has three different models of CandyAqua thou not 1040. Amazon.de has five models including 1041..

BR Teddy

ps. Looking to buy one too..
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote