Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 13-03-2016, 15:04   #451

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Bestevaer 49ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Washing machine and no Gen??

Enlighten me dear Lady!
Dear Sir

Let me give it a shot .

Solar panels: 1000 watts
Battery bank: 600 Ah @ 24 V (= 1200 Ah @ 12 V)
Inverter: Pure sine mass 24/ 2500

Washing machine: Candy Aqua 1000 (3.5kg)
Energy consumption:
0.79 kwh per cycle with full load 60° C according to the manufacturer (equivalent to around 66 AHrs @ 12V, or 33 AHrs @ 24V).
This sounds a bit low to me, but I will be using only cold cycles, which will consumes roughly half of the above (I will add a kettle of hot water if needed).

Dryer: Sunshine and wind (these are amazingly effective ). I haven't had an electric dryer for the last 8 years cruising essentially full time and although it would be "nice", as are lots of gadgets, I don't consider it a necessity.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 17:04   #452

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
. . .
Dryer: Sunshine and wind (these are amazingly effective ). I haven't had an electric dryer for the last 8 years cruising essentially full time and although it would be "nice", as are lots of gadgets, I don't consider it a necessity.

SWL

Ha, ha, ha, ha. From those of us at 50N and such latitudes

Seriously, you might want to consider a combined unit, if you ever think about leaving the dry, sunny Med.

Up here, the dryer is actually more important than the washer.

Not exactly a substitute for a dryer, but I am going to add a large radiator in my heads, using main engine coolant. The reason for that is the imperative necessity of drying that space out periodically. One could string up clothes lines in there, I guess.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 19:05   #453

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Ha, ha, ha, ha. From those of us at 50N and such latitudes

Seriously, you might want to consider a combined unit, if you ever think about leaving the dry, sunny Med.

Up here, the dryer is actually more important than the washer.

Not exactly a substitute for a dryer, but I am going to add a large radiator in my heads, using main engine coolant. The reason for that is the imperative necessity of drying that space out periodically. One could string up clothes lines in there, I guess.
Unfortunately, I can't see a dryer working on an essentially solar powered boat without long engine run times. That doesn't appeal at all (on our current boat we have averaged around 80 hours a year since replacing the engine).

I cope now in winter. Not that it can be compared to a northern winter, but warm and sunny it isn't. Drying is then wind assisted. I think crew number makes a big difference. Washing and drying items just for two is relatively easy. Start bumping those numbers up and the boat starts to resemble a Chinese laundry. A dryer then becomes a huge advantage.

SWL

Old 14-03-2016, 03:28   #454

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Unfortunately, I can't see a dryer working on an essentially solar powered boat without long engine run times. That doesn't appeal at all (on our current boat we have averaged around 80 hours a year since replacing the engine).

I cope now in winter. Not that it can be compared to a northern winter, but warm and sunny it isn't. Drying is then wind assisted. I think crew number makes a big difference. Washing and drying items just for two is relatively easy. Start bumping those numbers up and the boat starts to resemble a Chinese laundry. A dryer then becomes a huge advantage.

SWL
Well, if you're designing a boat for the rest of your life, I wouldn't assume you will always be in the same place cruising in just the same way forever. You don't cover a lot of miles and therefore don't motor much, and you're never in ports, but that could be radically different if you set out for other horizons.

Cruising around Florida, my Dad and I would only go into port to get water and would stay out on the hook for weeks at a time. Laundry was washed in the handy wash tub built into the shower (this is a great thing by the way -- put the laundry plus water and soap in there, go sailing, and when you arrive, just rinse -- zero power consumption) and was dried on the lifelines -- no problem in that climate and with just two people.

In the Baltic, the ports are marvelous and I spend as many nights in them as I do on the hook.

If you set out to cover a lot of miles, you will inevitably have a fair bit of motoring.

The number of people on board, it is true, has a great effect on the need for this, but in cold wet weather a dryer can be the only way to get towels dry, for example, not to mention if two people, for example, get soaked in the rain, or something like that.

So you might think about having it, even if there is no present need for it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 14-03-2016, 03:46   #455

I don't think there has been a page of this thread where people haven't given their recommendation to get a generator and have been very kindly rebuffed. I think it's great that you know what you need and what you want and I am excited by every post and update about the boat.

Oh and have you thought about a generator? Dead useful those things!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DreamerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 04:50   #456

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerB View Post
I don't think there has been a page of this thread where people haven't given their recommendation to get a generator and have been very kindly rebuffed. I think it's great that you know what you need and what you want and I am excited by every post and update about the boat.

Oh and have you thought about a generator? Dead useful those things!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This was discussed at great length. The OP has thought it through thoroughly already and doesn't need one. With the right alternators, you can produce several kilowatts with your main engine, so many people, probably, could live without generators if they design the whole system to work without one.

All that being said, I do love my heavy duty, low speed genset.
Walt Whitman
Old 14-03-2016, 10:25   #457

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

What's the interior design going to be? Classic Bestevaer with grooved white panels or something different?

Matt
Old 14-03-2016, 15:03   #458

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I don't think there has been a page of this thread where people haven't given their recommendation to get a generator and have been very kindly rebuffed.
Different strokes for different folks .
We currently have an excellent generator in the form of a small diesel engine with large alternator. Since we installed a solar panel array about 7 years ago, the generator has been run only to keep it serviced. Solar meets our simple needs beautifully: it is reliable, quiet, free of running costs and maintenance. And then there is the pleasure of watching the power going in. Priceless .

Quote:
I think it's great that you know what you need and what you want and I am excited by every post and update about the boat.
Glad you are enjoying following our progress .

SWL

Old 14-03-2016, 15:55   #459

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well, if you're designing a boat for the rest of your life, I wouldn't assume you will always be in the same place cruising in just the same way forever. You don't cover a lot of miles and therefore don't motor much, and you're never in ports, but that could be radically different if you set out for other horizons.

Cruising around Florida, my Dad and I would only go into port to get water and would stay out on the hook for weeks at a time. Laundry was washed in the handy wash tub built into the shower (this is a great thing by the way -- put the laundry plus water and soap in there, go sailing, and when you arrive, just rinse -- zero power consumption) and was dried on the lifelines -- no problem in that climate and with just two people.

In the Baltic, the ports are marvelous and I spend as many nights in them as I do on the hook.

If you set out to cover a lot of miles, you will inevitably have a fair bit of motoring.

The number of people on board, it is true, has a great effect on the need for this, but in cold wet weather a dryer can be the only way to get towels dry, for example, not to mention if two people, for example, get soaked in the rain, or something like that.

So you might think about having it, even if there is no present need for it.
LOL, we are not expecting to stay in the Med.

I haven't experienced that the conveniences of shore life need to be reproduced on board for happiness. Just the opposite. If you do without for a short time, it is sheer joy when this is reversed . I have a theory we need contrast in our lives to keep us truly appreciative and aware. Our neurons often only fire in response to change. Try inputting a constant signal and we frequently become quickly oblivious of it. Deadened in fact. An occasional damp towel won't do me any harm and will make me aware and appreciative of the next dry one.

Let's agree to disagree about the necessity of a generator and dryer .

Now regarding the laundry tub idea, it seems I have a lot in common with your dad apart from the style of martinis we prefer . A tub in a waterproof area is extremely useful for a multitude of things. We have designed two low large tubs in the shower area. They will have a lid and therefore double up as a large seat when showering. Above will be a removable hanging rail strong enough to wring clothes if necessary. An adjacent handhold will double as a towel rail.

SWL

Old 14-03-2016, 16:40   #460

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
. . . An occasional damp towel won't do me any harm and will make me aware and appreciative of the next dry one.
Damp towels are not so bad. Wait til you try to dry yourself off with a mildewy one! :ick:

Quote:
Let's agree to disagree about the necessity of a generator and dryer .
But of course Suum cuique

Quote:
Now regarding the laundry tub idea, it seems I have a lot in common with your dad apart from the style of martinis we prefer . A tub in a waterproof area is extremely useful for a multitude of things. We have designed two low large tubs in the shower area. They will have a lid and therefore double up as a large seat when showering. Above will be a removable hanging rail strong enough to wring clothes if necessary. An adjacent handhold will double as a towel rail.

SWL
That was not my idea, but Bill Shaw's. It's basically the shower seat many yachts have, but the seat is hinged with a tub built in below. It's a magical, power-free, washing machine. My boat has a void in the same space -- I am periodically tempted to cut a hole into it and construct something similar.

Here's an idea for you -- put the towel rail over a radiator.

Not waiting for the new boat, I'm going to put a large radiator in my after heads, heated with main engine coolant. Just to dry it out.
Walt Whitman
Old 14-03-2016, 17:15   #461

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Damp towels are not so bad. Wait til you try to dry yourself off with a mildewy one! :ick:
Oh, I agree, ick. I have a mould phobia LOL. I think those towels will just be thrown and I will find other forms of deprivation .

Quote:
Here's an idea for you -- put the towel rail over a radiator.

Not waiting for the new boat, I'm going to put a large radiator in my after heads, heated with main engine coolant. Just to dry it out.
We really tossed up about putting a radiator in the head fed by the Reflex heater to serve as a drying room in winter (this area contains the washing machine). In the end decided against, but it was touch and go. The Reflex heater will have a floor to ceiling set of SS rails on one side. Towels hung next to it prior to a shower will warm up beautifully and it will serve as a "dryer" in winter.

An example of the rail. Our Reflex will be a different model (SS, as on Katharos, another Bestevaer 49):

Old 14-03-2016, 18:39   #462

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
What's the interior design going to be? Classic Bestevaer with grooved white panels or something different?

Matt
Classic Bestevaer with grooved white painted walls.

Unlike other boats, we will have absolutely no cabinets anywhere above bench level. These narrow an already narrow space considerably (and if they are anything other than white, they visually close it in even further). So white walls will feature.

Otherwise: solid timber cabinets and dining table (Bubinga, a beautifully grained reddish brown hardwood), navy leather settees and stainless steel bench tops in the galley with a timber portion at one end to break up what would be a large expanse. Paintings, pillows and throw rugs will soften the appearance. I like no clutter .

SWL

If anyone is unaware what finish Matt is referring to, this is a smaller Bestevaer showing the wall and ceiling appearance:

Old 15-03-2016, 01:10   #463

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Dear Sir

Let me give it a shot .

Solar panels: 1000 watts
Battery bank: 600 Ah @ 24 V (= 1200 Ah @ 12 V)
Inverter: Pure sine mass 24/ 2500

Washing machine: Candy Aqua 1000 (3.5kg)
Energy consumption:
0.79 kwh per cycle with full load 60° C according to the manufacturer (equivalent to around 66 AHrs @ 12V, or 33 AHrs @ 24V).
This sounds a bit low to me, but I will be using only cold cycles, which will consumes roughly half of the above (I will add a kettle of hot water if needed).

SWL
Good plan! Matches our setup closely. But with your boat, you'll likely travel to southern South America and freeze your back side off. Putting on your wind dried frozen nighty will be a thrill you will like to forget. Don't ask how I know...

We have a full size washer/dryer and run the genset when we want to run it. My GF would not be without it. You will love your KM built yacht. Attention to details will impress.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 01:22   #464

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Putting on your wind dried frozen nighty will be a thrill you will like to forget. Don't ask how I know...
What nighty?

Old 15-03-2016, 05:03   #465

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
What nighty?
An appealing image, but you wouldn't be asking that question from Patagonia Or Norway

Without central heating, you will be wanting a fur nighty . . . .
Walt Whitman