Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2012, 04:44   #1

Best Way To Go: Rebuild or Ready to Go

In the current market, is it still a good thing to buy a project boat and redo it to your needs and wants or take the compromise route and buy an existing boat reday to go?

I've spent two years seriously considering getting out there and have been looking at boat listings...a few tripped my trigger but were too far away for it to be realistic for me under my circumstances.

Great thread about is the market really this bad....problem is, I'm in southwest Missouri, not exactly a salty area! Bass boats rule here.

I'll get to it, found a project boat, a 30' Luger Voyager, asking price a whopping $2,900 and less will take it! I would say the finish work lacked craftsmanship. Note the passageway forward, the arched door radius is different on one side than the other....I'd take that to the ceiling, forget the arch and put in a straight header.

STUPID COMPUTER, HIT RETURN AND IT POSTED! SORRY

I can do the interior and get done in about 3 months. I have a very good finish carpenter that could knock out details in a day I'm sure (router edges, fit moldings, two cabinets) maybe a day and a half applying veneer.

Any boat in my budget will need some cleaning up and polish, some tweeking, and will probably have a surprise. I'm told the sails are good, rigging is there and other parts.

The down side I believe will be money, it will cost more to refurbish a boat than just buy one ready to go, I assume.
On the ready to go boat I won't know how the plumbing connections will holdup, won't know if the tanks are good underneath that would be out of sight or how electrical runs or where.

I do see a big plus for building the interior, I'll know the condition and location of everything and the quality of items there.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/cgi-...&ID=27361&mh=1

Question is, is it worth it? My intended use will be the Great Loop, the 3' draft is a big plus as well as it being trailerable, although there is no trailer. I'm guessing two peoplehave lived on smaller boats. (No motorcycle, LOL, maybe one old dog).

Or, should I keep looking? Really need help from those who have been there and done that....Thanks
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 04:51   #2

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Re: Best Way To Go: Rebuild or Ready to Go

Every boat has issues, even the brand new ones. But the first question is... ready to go where?
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 04:56   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
I'll get to it, found a project boat, a 30' Luger Voyager, asking price a whopping $2,900 and less will take it! I would say the finish work lacked craftsmanship. Note the passageway forward, the arched door radius is different on one side than the other....I'd take that to the ceiling, forget the arch and put in a straight header.
I feel there are so many 30' boats out there that the pricing is pretty good and that you are better to get a boat in good condition that go the refit route.

But this is based on that you want to sail, verse have a project to work on.
Old 13-12-2012, 04:57   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
forget the arch and put in a straight header.
I'd suggest you just buy a boat ready to go!
Old 13-12-2012, 05:02   #5

Do you want to go boating, or do you want to work on a project? That's the real question.

A lot of people really LIKE working on projects. They also enjoy boating. For them a project boat is a nice thing.

If you are only considering a project boat because you think it will be a good, cheap way to get into boating--and the boating, not the project, is your first love--then you should search around the forum for some of the threads along the lines of "I Wish I Had Never Bought This Boat" and "I Am Walking Away From My Boat."

A "project boat" is a PROJECT, first and foremost. If you want a boat, buy a boat. If you want a project, buy a project.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 05:09   #6

I love projects! That said I think you should keep looking. Judging only from the pictures in the listing I can see how you'd be best to start from a bare hull to do it right. Of course, what is right is subjective to personal opinion. Always keep resale value in mind.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 05:26   #7

Thanks guys and good points. This posted by mistake so I added more details above.

A project, I hate projects! I do projects. I flipped a few houses in my time.

It's December, I'm not going anywhere until the end of the summer at the earliest, so there is time. This could end up in my backyard.

I would travel to Texas or Flordia if I located a better deal, but probably will need to sell some stuff so it would likely be late spring or early summer to go look, that puts me in the peak selling season. I might find something in St Louis or Kansas City, maybe Lake of the Ozarks, but here in the midwest we don't have the deals that you salty types get as the market is limited, if you want a 30+ sailboat there are few games in town so to speak.

Another question, I know someone here had a Luger, there is an old thread with a comment, but after checking the deck/hull attachments and how well it was done, is this a Looper boat? ICW, gulf, I'm not so concerned about the rivers I know rivers.

I admit, I'm leaning this way of the Luger, but if it's not a solid boat and capable I don't want it. I know it depends on who put it together as it was a kit boat.

In reasearching it, I cam across an article comparing it to the top ten cruisers 30 foot and under and it it faired well with the ratios, righting, balast and sail, etc. But that was one article by a guy who had one! I also read some fluff there.
Old 13-12-2012, 05:42   #8
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Look at it another way:

A project boat (if completed) ends up with exactly the type of finish (and integrity) that you are willing to accept as be "suitable for your needs".

A ready to go boat has a standard of finish and (perhaps) integrity that you are willing to accept as 'suitable for your needs".

The ready to go boat will cost more upfront but be available right now.
The project will be cheaper up front but may well cost more in the long run (and will normally be a better boat - if finished) and won't be ready until you finish it.

Personally I prefer project, mainly for the reason that I know the quality of the job (or lack of ) and I know how everything is put together and how to maintain same.

YMMV

Your call!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 08:28   #9

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

FWIW, here's one on Craigslist in Tampa area:

Luger Voyager 30 Sailboat, great liveaboard with steel triple axle trl
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 08:30   #10

Boat: Seafarer 38
Buy it ready to go. It's cheaper in the long run and a lot less work. We did it the other way. I think a lot of folks do... once.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 08:36   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

If you're intent on a project boat, select a boat worth the effort.

The Lugar Voyager 30 was originally sold as a kit boat. This is why the finish work "lacks craftsmanship" as you say, because it was done by an amateur trying to save money.

With few exceptions, centerboard boats don't tend to sail well. They are basically trailer boats, and generally not suitable for offshore work.

I don't think you'd be getting a good deal on this boat for the price advertised.
Old 13-12-2012, 08:40   #12

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
I love projects! That said I think you should keep looking. Judging only from the pictures in the listing I can see how you'd be best to start from a bare hull to do it right. Of course, what is right is subjective to personal opinion. Always keep resale value in mind.

What he said. If you want a project, get one. If you want to go sailing buy a boat ready to go.
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 09:18   #13

Wotname, since I know very little about sailboats, I know my aft from the bow, I really agree that knowing what's in there matters.

It probably sounds as if I have made up my mind, but I have not really. I do see the Voyager as a boat I could live with. Things would be much different if I were not landlocked so much. I bet if I got it and finished it off, I'd get to the gulf and see a dozen boats I'd rather have purchased, that's the way it usually works.

I can already see that 4 more feet would be much better. I'm also seeing that at 34' the draft is usually 5 to 6 feet, most with full keels which is great off shore, not so good for my first expedition of the loop. It's highly recomended that the draft be less than 5', 3 or 4 is even better.

Also, being a lake/river type, we run boats on shore or very close, getting off without getting wet or very wet. I have always used keel savers, those super hard rubber strips, that after being put on would have to be ground off practically to remove, to protect the bow and keel. They work well but not sure if sailboats use them except maybe for small beachable boats. At 30' I can see this going on some of the shores I know without a problem. I'll still need a dingy.

One big advantage of getting one fitted out is the money, while I don't know if everything worked on boats listed, some had radar, chart plotters, radios, full galley with fridge and other stuff (usually at 32-40 feet). This luger will have nothing!

I probably don't need radar, but a good radar reflector to be seen. My time out after sunset would be limited, rare but I'm sure the need will arise. While I understand radar (from aviation as a radar controller) I have no idea how to use a chart plotter! I doubt I'd get lost on the loop, as options are limited on which way to go.....LOL.

But it's the stuff to buy; gen set, batteries, inverter, braker/switch panel, tanks, a good head, stove and fridge and most likely a new motor. $$,$$$! Probably soon will be sails and rigging, but that's with any boat.

Here's where most of you are in luck, I could spend $700 to a grand easily driving down to the gulf, looking for a boat and strike out, getting nothing. I have bought cars and motorcycles off ebay sight unseen, but a boat is another strory, I'm not that trusting with brokerages (like car dealers) nor would I put alot of stock in a survey, not knowing the surveyor. A survey guarantees nothing.

What I'd like to hear is the opinions of the luger, how you guys think it would perform. Funny thing is, I'd be lost in comparison to other boats since I haven't sailed other boats lately.

You could tell a kid in a third world country that the Yugo was a great car, he'd drive it for his first car and think he actually had a great car. So long as I don't find out differently, I guess any boat would be great so long as it didn't eat my money, moved along and it was liveable or campable.

You guys are the experts, so what do you suggest?
Old 13-12-2012, 09:29   #14

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

I doubt you could anything near your total investment to restore that Lugar when the time came to sell. Just out of curiosity, what kind of engine does the one you are considering have?
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 09:55   #15

I dont know that the draft is as important for your stated trip. In fact having little draft willb e an asset. You will be motoring alot though, and an inboard engine will make life alot easier. The Luger is not a boat you want to put much money into as it may be hard to get it out.
No boat ever seems to be turnkey, but you might as well spend $10000 and get a boat that is basically sound and avoid all the pitfalls of a major project boat. Trust me, some of the things you think might take a day and a half will end up taking a week and also end up discovering another thing to do ... and that will take a week.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebuild