Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2014, 15:21   #136

Re: Best Size Sailboat For Singlehander

When I had my 27 footer, I would single hand all the time in any condition. When I switched to my 34 footer, I for sure was less eager to leave the dock. I started trying to find crew before leaving the dock. I would still single hand, but for sure it happened less and I never seemed to do it >20 knots.

In the 27 footer, I often preferred to single hand, and would sometime try to avoid crew. In the 34 footer, I always prefer crew and single hand as a last resort.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 15:23   #137
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Actually it does matter what size you singlehand. It's so obvious I'm surprised you'd say that.

Would it be easier to sail a Sunfish in to the marina singlehanded or a 45' boat?

Think about it.
That comparison does not really shed any light on anything although it's pretty funny. The truth is the only definitive answer to this question is it depends on the comfort level and skills of the person running the vessel, how it is rigged, and where you're planning to sail it.

A better way to start drilling down to a good discussion is if for example a person asked.

"I've been single handing a J105 for 10 years doing some near coastal work, I have x amount of experience additionally crewing offshore...... I'd like to jump up to a boat 40 - 46ft and do offshore work safely. What kind of boats and rigging configurations should I consider if I'd like to still be able to single hand the vessel in heavy conditions and dock without assistance.? My Budget is 50 - 100k"

Or some variation of the above question.

Otherwise I'm just going to start recommending a self tacking Wally 105 with an electronic auto reefing and furling system. I'm also pretty sure one person could single hand the Maltese Falcon across the Atlantic with the right training, As for the budget for upkeep that's another story.
satdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 15:29   #138

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
t--That boat could be easily single-handed by a reasonably fit person, as long as you set it up properly.
Okay, that's good to know.

My experience is with beach catamarans which I raced. My last was a NACRA F-17 one Rev level before this one, but I did have all the sails and sometimes used all three on distance races IF I thought the wind would stay below maybe 14 knots:

we raced them singlehanded back in the early to mid 2000's with just main and spinnaker:

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 15:33   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdiver View Post
That comparison does not really shed any light on anything although it's pretty funny. The truth is the only definitive answer to this question is it depends on the comfort level and skills of the person running the vessel, how it is rigged, and where you're planning to sail it.
I disagree. That would be true if the question was "can I safely singlehand a __ boat." However the question is what is the best size boat to singlehand. You answer seems to be "the biggest you can afford", I think the answer is "the smallest you can live with" is always the best boat for a single hander who is using it for daysailing.
Old 09-04-2014, 15:43   #140
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I disagree. That would be true if the question was "can I safely singlehand a __ boat." However the question is what is the best size boat to singlehand. You answer seems to be "the biggest you can afford", I think the answer is "the smallest you can live with" is always the best boat for a single hander who is using it for daysailing.
Raindog I never said you should get the biggest you can afford. I offhandedly said I'm just going to start recommending wild choices when a poster does not give more definitive details to what their experience is and goals are. How am I supposed to know the poster is not a Saudi sheik that took up team racing on Maxi's in Dubai 6 years ago. I'm pretty sure his 25 brothers and sisters would not be happy if he showed up to the dock in a Dana 24 ready to show off his single handing skills to their penthouse in Monaco.
Old 09-04-2014, 15:59   #141

Quote:
Raindog I never said you should get the biggest you can afford. I offhandedly said I'm just going to start recommending wild choices when a poster does not give more definitive details to what their experience is and goals are. How am I supposed to know the poster is not a Saudi sheik that took up team racing on Maxi's in Dubai 6 years ago. I'm pretty sure his 25 brothers and sisters would not be happy if he showed up to the dock in a Dana 24 ready to show off his single handing skills to their penthouse in Monaco.
This is my experience:

but we single handed them back in the day. I'm thinking I can still convert to cruiser dude but I think I have learned from my Bristol that I would like a bit more speed and performance.

But my first cruise may still be on my big bad Bristol 27.

My experience is minimal on monohulls especially big strong ones with massive sail area. As a matter of fact my Bristol 27 at 6600lbs has about the same sail area as my NACRA F-17 (300lbs) did with all three sails up.
Old 09-04-2014, 16:01   #142
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Best Size Sailboat For Single hander

WTF are you talking about... Single handers and Spinnakers...
Are you totally nutz or on Ecstacy...???
We do Drifters on single line furlers.... Jeez.. talk about Hyper...
Slow down.. Get a Life...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 16:15   #143

Re: Best Size Sailboat For Single hander

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
WTF are you talking about... Single handers and Spinnakers...
Are you totally nutz or on Ecstacy...???
We do Drifters on single line furlers.... Jeez.. talk about Hyper...
Slow down.. Get a Life...
Ah................that's just how I do it. Sorry but that's just the way it is and some folks do not like it.

I plan on running the SW wind all the way up 60-70 miles of the Chesapeake Bay on that Ericson 35 if my plans work. And I will run that spinnaker. The normal prevailing summer wind here is like 10-15.

I'm from here and have been on this bay since I was 16.

Maybe I confused you thinking I'd cruise like that in unknown waters.
Old 09-04-2014, 16:33   #144

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I don't understand why you say that the best sailboat for singlehader is the smallest you can live with if it used as a daysailor. A daysailor by definition does not live or cruise in a boat so the boat can be almost a dinghy. If someone does daysailing instead of cruising it is basically for the pleasure of sailing and that, money apart, can have a lot to do with the size of the boat since size is related with speed and comfort in sea motion.

If money would not be an option and If daysailing was my thing I would chose something like this (60ft):

With the boat weighting only 9T and with the rigging laid for solo sailing with electric and hydraulic helps it would be easier to sail than my 41ft (that is easy to solo sail)

If I still had a lot of money, but not enough for that beauty I would choose something like this, a 40ft, 4T sailboat with a swing keel and a very low draft:

A boat that I am sure it will give tons of pleasure while sailing, a beautiful and stylish one, would be what I would look for on a daysailer...and given no money limitations, surely I would not be choosing a dinghy or a small sailboat for sailing.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 16:37   #145
cruiser

Quote:

But my first cruise may still be on my big bad Bristol 27.

My experience is minimal on monohulls especially big strong ones with massive sail area. As a matter of fact my Bristol 27 at 6600lbs has about the same sail area as my NACRA F-17 (300lbs) did with all three sails up.
IMHO If you're going to change boats I would stay with the Bristol make at least. I think Ted Hood and Dieter Empacher did a pretty decent job from a performance standpoint on the 32's and 35.5 or If your budget allows stepping up to a Little Harbor 38. or the J boat line although not very accommodating. Not sure what type of budget or particular boat you're looking at and price point she is at to make any sorta reasonable alternative list for you to consider.

If you have no offshore aspirations and don't do much of your own work I could come up with some other suggestions.

Or Polux made a decent daysailer recommendation
Old 09-04-2014, 16:40   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I don't understand why you say that the best sailboat for singlehader is the smallest you can live with if it used as a daysailor. A daysailor by definition does not live or cruise in a boat so the boat can be almost a dinghy.
I did say the smallest YOU can live with. As for you selection, a 4T boat is a pretty small boat and quite reasonable for a single hander. Of course docking such a light boat solo might be a major PITA.

I say the smallest you can live with because I am convinced based on spending so much time in marinas that for 90% of sailors the smaller the boat, the more they will use it. If you are trying to decide if you should get the 30' boat or the 40' boat, I say the 30' boat is always the right choice if you are just daysailing it.

I say daysailing because if you are racing, there might be other considerations based on how you are racing. E.g., if there is a large fleet of Catalina 40 one-design racing in your area, that might argue for the 40 footer. However if you are just bumming around, the smaller boat will be much better for the single-hander.
Old 09-04-2014, 16:46   #147

Quote:
IMHO If you're going to change boats I would stay with the Bristol make at least. I think Ted Hood and Dieter Empacher did a pretty decent job from a performance standpoint on the 32's and 35.5 or If your budget allows stepping up to a Little Harbor 38. or the J boat line although not very accommodating. Not sure what type of budget or particular boat and price point she is at to make any sorta reasonable list for you to consider.

If you have no offshore aspirations and don't do much of your own work I could come up with some other suggestions.
What is it you don't like about the Ericson 35-3? I know the Bristol 35.5 has a PHRF of around 150 as compared to the slightly faster Ericson at 123.

I may end up cruising offshore also after I get bored during retirement so I want a do anything boat. I was also looking at a Wauquiez Gladiator 33 but thought the Ericson would be better if I had to live on it for months at a time. Btw, it does weigh 13,000 lbs.

ERICSON 35-3 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Old 09-04-2014, 16:48   #148
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Best Size Sailboat For Single hander

Quote:
Ah................that's just how I do it. Sorry but that's just the way it is and some folks do not like it.

I plan on running the SW wind all the way up 60-70 miles of the Chesapeake Bay on that Ericson 35 if my plans work. And I will run that spinnaker. The normal prevailing summer wind here is like 10-15.

I'm from here and have been on this bay since I was 16.

Maybe I confused you thinking I'd cruise like that in unknown waters.
Ahhhhh... harbour hopping and a hot shower at the end of the day... that's a whole different ball game... thought you were talking about sailing...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 16:54   #149

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Haven't reviewed this thread in awhile and maybe others have already addressed this but for me how the boat is rigged would have a lot to do with the answer:

Furling vs. Non-furling Jib and Main
Manual vs. Electric Winches
Auto Pilot vs. Manual Helm
Self-tacking Jib
Tiller vs. Wheel

Everything on a larger boat is heavier and harder to manipulate without assistance (electronic, mechanical, or crew). I don't have the strength or stamina I used to.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 16:55   #150

My post make me think about one-design racing. I think there is a reason almost all one design boats are under 30'. If you are sailing for the fun of it, there is really no reason to ever go over 30'. Cost if of course a primary driver of one-design popularity, but I think how much fun boats are to sail is too. Larger boats are just less fun.

If course if you will be crossing oceans or living on them, then you need to consider comfort as well as sailing fun.

http://racing.ussailing.org/Assets/R...ey+Results.pdf

Tags
sail, sailboat, single, size