Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2014, 07:42   #91

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Re: Best Size Sailboat For Singlehander

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdiver View Post
You have a poorly rigged boat. The last person I delt with worrying about flaking his sails correctly put a gash in my stern at anchor in Cartagena. Worry about learning how to do a proper anchor spread. Flacking sails is for boy scouts and summer camp.

So when you drop the sail you just leave it lying the way it dropped, covering most of the cabin top, flapping in the wind?
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 07:57   #92

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Also check the Waukuiez Pretorian 35.
Yep the Pretorian 35 is an awesome boat and about double the price of the Gladiateur. So if I bought one, I'd probably have to live on it, and I'm not quite ready for that yet.

But there is one near where the Gladiateur is in Maryland.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 20:14   #93
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
So when you drop the sail you just leave it lying the way it dropped, covering most of the cabin top, flapping in the wind?
If my boat is at anchor and you're crusing in tending your sails away from the wheel yes you leave it on the cabin top or blowing off the boat for that matter. The guy that gashed my stern was flacking his sails under power while I stood on the deck yelling at him to position. He was running back and forth playing with his throttle and flacking blowing canvas. After he gave me the finger I just sat down. 5 or 10 minutes later well ...
satdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 20:21   #94
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Best size; most fun:

Sailboat Sun Fast 3600 - Jeanneau Yard

Chase down rats in Cartagena!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 00:15   #95

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdiver View Post
If my boat is at anchor and you're crusing in tending your sails away from the wheel yes you leave it on the cabin top or blowing off the boat for that matter. The guy that gashed my stern was flacking his sails under power while I stood on the deck yelling at him to position. He was running back and forth playing with his throttle and flacking blowing canvas. After he gave me the finger I just sat down. 5 or 10 minutes later well ...

In this case the problem is not the location of the sail controls. It's the jerk operating them...

I've been looking at a few boats recently. One thing I noticed is that I have recently seen a few boats with halyards at the mast, that have been designed by and for single-handers. Personally I prefer to be at the Nast as well when taking down a sail, so I can understand why some sailors choose this. Which is why, in my opinion, leading everything aft is not essential.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 00:20   #96

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Geez Louise, that's not the only option.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised a guy can sail all the way to Cartagena, and still demonstrate such poor seamanship in such a common situation. I'm willing to bet ... oh ... 5 quintillion dollars that that "sailor" didn't start out in small boats, or even bothered crewing with someone who knew what they were doing. Ever.

Regarding the OP's question, there's little doubt that modern systems, most particularly reliable engines, have allowed singlehanders to operate ever-larger boats fairly safely when all goes well. When it doesn't, not so much. That's when you need the skills you have hopefully developed. Without the skills, the constant anxiety and "what ifs" spoil the fun. That's why all those big beautiful boats don't leave their slips.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:39   #97

Boat: B24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
there's little doubt that modern systems, most particularly reliable engines, have allowed singlehanders to operate ever-larger boats fairly safely when all goes well. When it doesn't, not so much...
So true -- Lotta wisdom right there...
Old 04-04-2014, 04:29   #98
CLOD

Boat: none

For the most part I don't see what boat size has to do with single handling a boat!!!!!!!!!

Get the size of boat that works you overall, then just learn to sail it! Why does it have to be so hard all the time?
Old 04-04-2014, 04:39   #99

[QUOTE=sailorboy1;1509105]For the most part I don't see what boat size has to do with single handling a boat!!!!!!!!!
QUOTE]

Size matters!

On a small boat, you don't have to use the winches most of the time. You can raise and lower sails by hand. You can also sheet the sails in and out by hand unless the wind is up quite a bit.

You can manhandle a small boat. You can push it around with your manly man muscles; not so on a big boat. Even if you run aground in nice weather you can jump overboard and push it off if it doesn't draw too much. That is if you don't mind getting you sailor suite wet.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:24   #100
CLOD

[QUOTE=thomm225;1509113]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
For the most part I don't see what boat size has to do with single handling a boat!!!!!!!!!
QUOTE]

Size matters!

On a small boat, you don't have to use the winches most of the time. You can raise and lower sails by hand. You can also sheet the sails in and out by hand unless the wind is up quite a bit.

You can manhandle a small boat. You can push it around with your manly man muscles; not so on a big boat. Even if you run aground in nice weather you can jump overboard and push it off if it doesn't draw too much. That is if you don't mind getting you sailor suite wet.
So you are saying the best size boat for single handling is based on being able to manhandle it?

I don't manhandle my boat, that is how one gets hurt!
Old 04-04-2014, 05:37   #101

pirate Re: Best Size Sailboat For Singlehander

Quote:
For the most part I don't see what boat size has to do with single handling a boat!!!!!!!!! ...
Heh. I think the comment speaks for itself. Good luck with that.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:08   #102

Quote:

So you are saying the best size boat for single handling is based on being able to manhandle it?

I don't manhandle my boat, that is how one gets hurt!
Nope!

That's only what you understood me to say. (or what you took from what I said)

I was just pointing out the advantages of a smaller boat. I'm still thinking a boat from 27' to 36' or so would be a good size although dealing with the spinnaker on this Ericson 35 (which is one of the boats I'm looking at) could get interesting as a singlehander.

1984 Ericson Mk III Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 04-04-2014, 06:45   #103
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Heh. I think the comment speaks for itself. Good luck with that.

Yes it does. I single hand my 43' boat without issue and people here have posted they do the same on their 50'+ boat. Yet "small" boat people always seem to believe it isn't possible.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:52   #104

Quote:
Yes it does. I single hand my 43' boat without issue and people here have posted they do the same on their 50'+ boat. Yet "small" boat people always seem to believe it isn't possible.
Nobody is saying it isn't possible. It's that they consider it not the best size for singlehanding.

I actually don't see a problem with singlehanding a boat 40+ but you will not be able to handle it as well as you could a smaller boat.

You already have said that you could get hurt manhandling your boat. Not so with a Catalina 22 I'd bet.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:16   #105

pirate Re: Best Size Sailboat For Singlehander

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
... I was just pointing out the advantages of a smaller boat. I'm still thinking a boat from 27' to 36' or so would be a good size although dealing with the spinnaker ... could get interesting as a singlehander.
Oooooooooh, you're talking about sailing the boat in a seamanlike manner, not flaking yer sails while motoring in an anchorage, or leaving yer fenders overboard all the time cuz it gets dicey positioning them while approaching a dock (when and if you dare approach the dock) and all the other silly little things like breaking a forestay underway and not losing the rig ... that kind o thing. I think that's different than driving the boat alone on a nice day with BoatUS on speed dial and a fat wallet.

Even geriatric old farts can singlehand large boats; hell, teenybopper girls can do it but they are real sailors, few and far between.

Tags
sail, sailboat, single, size