Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2016, 04:45   #1

Boat: Oyster 55
Best sat phone plan?

I bought an Iridium sat phone but haven't activated it yet. What is the best sat phone plan for a one month usage? What is the best plan for annual usage?
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 10:59   #2

Boat: Lagoon 450
Re: Best sat phone plan?

We now have a plan via Atlantic Radio Telephone and have had no issues (both Iridium pre-paid and GO) over the last year. We previously had a annual plan with OCENS (with Optimiser) but had very difficult connections, troublesome sorting thru their menus and getting what we wanted. In the end it was a lot of wasted minutes and getting very very little. Frustration for the most part. And when I decided to terminate, they would not return the $500 I had remaining in the account. They're scratched off my list. At this time we were cruising the Indian Ocean (2014-15).
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 13:08   #3

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58
Re: Best sat phone plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
We now have a plan via Atlantic Radio Telephone and have had no issues (both Iridium pre-paid and GO) over the last year. We previously had a annual plan with OCENS (with Optimiser) but had very difficult connections, troublesome sorting thru their menus and getting what we wanted. In the end it was a lot of wasted minutes and getting very very little. Frustration for the most part. And when I decided to terminate, they would not return the $500 I had remaining in the account. They're scratched off my list. At this time we were cruising the Indian Ocean (2014-15).
I could write a multi page essay about the nightmare I had on the last boat I worked on trying to get an iridium GO with OCENS service plan functioning properly. hours on the phone, endless e-mails owner constantly pissed off and at the end of the day it still only kind of worked.
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phone