Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2015, 08:01   #301

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Best Pilothouse Sailboat?

From the Regina I like particularly the 35 that looks to me a lot better designed then the new 45:

http://reginayachts.se/yachts-2/regi...ina-35-images/

But they are incredibly expensive boats. One of the best quality interiors I have ever saw on a yacht. Here a nice movie with a boat test on the 40:

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 20:09   #302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
I followed the link to see that boat. Nice handsome boat from the side, but unfortunately there are only about three photos of the outside of the boat, none of the inside. I would prefer that a boat design shop (the link goes to a naval architect firm's site) would have more photos of the finished vessels. I was disappointed to not see the interior.

I like the exterior look of that one, and notice that the pilot house is carried well on that length of boat (64'). It "fits" to my eye's view. It appears to have an outside steering station (helm) behind the pilothouse.

I also notice that the boat has sliding doors on the SIDE of the pilothouse, a feature also seen on some of the Nauticat "Traditional Motorsailor" models, as well as other boats that have a traditional "motor sailor" styling. That sliding door feature does not bother me, but is one reason those particular Nauticat models were not qualified as "A" rating in Europe, if that matters to anyone looking for an offshore cruiser.

That said, sliding doors are commonly used on commercial vessels and fishing boats and would not bother me if I owned that boat or similar.
The owner of this boat finished the interior himself, I believe it was around 1980 and built in the PNW. There was indeed a steering station behind the pilothouse. Very roomy design for 65'. Here's a note from the current owner.

http://simpsonmarinedesign.com/marin...nerVupdate.pdf
daysgoneby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:03   #303

Boat: Pearson Countess 44

I've owned two boats with deck houses one that qualifies as a "true" pilothouse, a 1929 60' G.L. Watson Ketch that had a wheel, nav station, engine controls and gauges in a small pilot house, and my new boat a 1966 Pearson Countess 44 Ketch which has a pilot house and a hard dodger but can only steer below via the autopilot.
I loved my old boat but I found we would never use the wheel in the pilothouse and always steered using the auto pilot and eventually removed the wheel. We rarely stood watch in the cockpit but would wander the deck with the remote. At night or in inclement weather the watch was always spent in the pilot house.
As I've aged I'm very grateful for the protection of both the dodger and the pilot house and the admiral loves being on deck in the galley though the old boat had a better seagoing galley.
I don't think I need a wheel or engine controls below because my experience says modern auto pilots are very reliable, I find it far more convenient to steer that way. I do like having the radar and GPS visible from below or above and I agree with some of the prior comments about the difficulty of seeing over the bow.
My two cents.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3682452_3_20110802072250_3_0.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	103395  
sailor1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 16:51   #304

Boat: Roberts Mauritius 43'

Hi, we have a "Roberts" Mauritius 43. Full pilot house with aft steering station. It's excellent.
bretto55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 11:50   #305

Degero Yacths from Finland was not yet mentioned, since 1990 has build pilot house sailing boats.

Home | Degerö Boat Oy
Daiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 14:32   #306

My Brewer 12.8center cockpit aft cabin makes a great pilothouse sailboat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1521.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	409.1 KB
ID:	104402  
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 14:34   #307

.......the whole boaty.........
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3306.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	104403  
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 04:02   #308

Hi, I don't know too much about yachts or sailing but I just LOVE our MAURITIUS 43 Pilot house
Old 30-06-2015, 07:31   #309

Shannon C52

http://www.shannonyachts.com/Shannon_c46_c52.pdf
daysgoneby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:37   #310

Boat: Orca 38

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1435739784.427608.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	104477
I believe that I own the best pilot housed Ingrid in the world. Bar none!
Old 01-07-2015, 01:45   #311

I don't know how to upload a pic of our Mauritius. It makes those other pilothouse yachts look like a garden shed tacked on a hull.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:52   #312

Hi, how can I post pics? Of my Roberts Mauritius? It's all just too hard for me.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:25   #313

Well Mr. "garden shed tacked on a hull", I guess we'll never get a chance to see your boat, now will we? I guess we'll have to take your word for it, won't we?

NOT

Without pictures, I guess it really just didn't happen, now did it?

Come on, figure it out, I wanna see a NON garden shed variety pilot house boat.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:33   #314

Newbie with questions, if I may?

Wife wants to travel, so do I, and we're both fed up with the rat-race (and the crime here in South Africa).

I've been looking at boats to live on and cruise in on Yachtworld (mainly) for a number of months, and somehow got stuck between boats like the Amel Mango and Maramu and some PH boats, with a preference to the latter.

Like many, I find that a lot of them look like a nice boat with a shed stuck on top, but some others struck a chord. Examples are a Pouvreau aluminium ketch from 1974, but it requires a lot of work, the other is a Jeanneau 1300 Espace, which looks like a really comfortable live-aboard, but it has not been kitted out for self-sufficient blue-water cruising. It's a superb boat to look at though, with in- and outside steering stations, a good galley and saloon and plenty space to kit her out the way it needs to be.
The Jeanneau is a little light though compared to other boats of the same size (45') and I wonder how it would stand up to long-term blue-water use?

The plan would be to cruise around the Mediterranean for a season to get to grips with the boat and see what it needs in terms of kitting out, do that over the winter and after that see where the winds will take us.

Best,

Jack.
Jack Verschuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:45   #315

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretto55 View Post
Hi, how can I post pics? Of my Roberts Mauritius? It's all just too hard for me.

O.K., kidding aside, when you hit the reply button and it brings up the dialogue box, look at the bottom of the dialogue box and you'll see an icon of what's suppose to be a small picture. If you click on that, it will allow you to insert a picture.

Tags
paracelle, Pilothouse comparison, sailboat