Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 12:10   #31

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Best Pilothouse Sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyh View Post
The Force 50 would be my choice for a pilot house. The lines on that boat are salty and the inside has a great lay out. The ones iv seen sailing on the SF bay look to be decient sailors.
You're kidding right?...You almost have to start the engine to tack the beast.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 13:46   #32
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

I like Fischer

but perhaps we can just throw away the mast and get a free engine room to boot:

Welcome to Nordhavn.com - Power Thats Oceans Apart
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 18:42   #33
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailr69 View Post
I guess that you may never have seen a Corbin 39, most people would never have guess it is a pilothouse boat. I do not consider myself an expert on yacht design but I am an expert in automobile design. asthetics applies to most products.
I have owned my Corbin for 19 years and still have a hard time considering when to sell her. she is fast, roomy, and pleasing to look at. not to mention a great live aboard boat.
I stand corrected… 39ft Corbin is now the exception to my personal observations

Very nice design and I had never seen one before.
Do you have inside steering?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 18:44   #34

Boat: Looking...

Salty - What about the free fuel we get from the wind a blowing in our sails?

westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 18:46   #35

Boat: Looking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I stand corrected… 39ft Corbin is now the exception to my personal observations

Very nice design and I had never seen one before.
Do you have inside steering?
The Corbin 39s seem to vary greatly in finish - many owner completed boats?
westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 18:52   #36
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I always liked the Islander Freeport 36 Pilot. My friends had a Panasiatic 46 pilothouse. PAN OCEANIC 46 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

It was the most comfortable I've seen. Inside the pilot was a big sea berth to starboard (extends under the side deck)and steering and a chart table to port. The engine room hatch was on the floor, creating a huge engine room you could go into and sit. I really liked that design. The off -watch could sleep right there next to the on-watch for safety etc. Frankly, I think I would have slept up there all the time!
I think one of the key things for a pilothouse is that it have a raised floor in the pilot.... there are some out there that have the cabin top, but essentially you are down real low. (Gulf?)

Both great picks for pilothouse boats, I looked at both when shopping. I really like a pilothouse flush deck cutter like the Panasiatic.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 20:05   #37

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Boatman I have to agree although at this point mine is 32 ft with only one stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
That's a Fisher. Nice boats, well made, but not the best sailors. Some of the Nauticat designs (like mine) are Sparkman and Stephens designs that are great sailors. Very well built, and they produced a ton of them, which means you can often find a good deal on one.
Minaret, my old girl has surprised a couple of similiarly minded sailers, with comments like "this THING sails better than I thought it would". The fully battened main on a boom furler probably helps a bit. Most have a mast furler with no battens.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 20:54   #38
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Boatman I have to agree although at this point mine is 32 ft with only one stick.

Minaret, my old girl has surprised a couple of similiarly minded sailers, with comments like "this THING sails better than I thought it would". The fully battened main on a boom furler probably helps a bit. Most have a mast furler with no battens.

Sure, don't mean to imply they are awful sailors or anything. But Fishers are heavily built with a full keel. The S&S Nauticats have modified fin keels with skeg hung rudders, obviously they will be the faster boat all else being equal.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 21:08   #39

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Sure, don't mean to imply they are awful sailors or anything. But Fishers are heavily built with a full keel. The S&S Nauticats have modified fin keels with skeg hung rudders, obviously they will be the faster boat all else being equal.
Cant help but agree with you, fishers are not the fastest out there but they sure can be comfortable and dry.Some are rigged better than others so they make better use of the wind and some are primarily motor driven.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:47   #40

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
The N44=not so great performance. The N43 is an S&S design and a great sailor. It can be confusing. Been aboard the newer "sunken pilothouse" designs, and I certainly wouldn't trade my boat for one. Much less visibility from the house, no raised quarterdeck aft, resulting in no massive aft cabin with transom windows. All for a little bit less windage on a big heavy boat. Much easier to maintain due to much less teak though.
Yeah, looking at the pictures I recognize the N-44 as what my wife had. It was a bit of a dog to windward, but ideal for our purposes at the time. We would get up early, motor out to the Channel Islands before the wind came up, then when it was time to go home, put up the sails and have a nice downwind run back to Ventura. Really more of a motorsailor with it's Lehman 120, but nothing wrong with that. I remember fondly sitting at anchor in the winter with the Webasto cranking, watching the world go by through the big windows of the pilothouse.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:54   #41
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Best Pilothouse Sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Boatman, that's a sweet ride. What is it?

Thats a Fisher 37.... nice boats..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:34   #42

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

A few more:

Allures
Amazon 44
Garcia 43 (and more French boats in this style, which is maybe called a deck saloon rather than a pilothouse).

We ultimately chose our boat (a custom) for a lot of small reasons that add up very close to our current idea of perfect, the pilothouse being the main thing that pushed the design towards many of the small details we like.

Of the pilothouses we've seen, we like:

- Low enough that you can see over it while standing at the helm. Small enough that it doesn't dominate the look of the boat.
- A low aft cockpit with short companionway stairs (ie: not like the Amazon's or some Van De Stadts, where the cockpit is higher and yields a companionway that more like the tall ladder you see in a center cockpit boat)
- A settee inside that's high enough to see through the windows while sitting down. I don't like the deck saloon style as much when you have to stand to see out of the windows.
- Somewhat narrow, for wide side decks past it.
- The sides and roof to pull back into the cockpit a little, to make a natural dodger behind it (in the 'Besteva' style).

What we don't have, but would like, is the way the forward windows in some Van De Stadt's and Amazon's slope over the galley or salon table on the lower level -- to add light and free up the air down below.

I think the Allures folks have the coolest idea for adding a pilothouse to a normal sized boat. When we were looking at building a Van De Stadt, I was trying to work turning the hard dodger into that style of mini pilothouse.
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:51   #43

[QUOTE=msponer;1120125]A few more:

Allures
Amazon 44
Garcia 43 (and more French boats in this style, which is maybe called a deck saloon rather than a pilothouse).

We ultimately chose our boat (a custom) for a lot of small reasons that add up very close to our current idea of perfect, the pilothouse being the main thing that pushed the design towards many of the small details we like.

Of the pilothouses we've seen, we like:

- Low enough that you can see over it while standing at the helm. Small enough that it doesn't dominate the look of the boat.
- A low aft cockpit with short companionway stairs (ie: not like the Amazon's or some Van De Stadts, where the cockpit is higher and yields a companionway that more like the tall ladder you see in a center cockpit boat)
- A settee inside that's high enough to see through the windows while sitting down. I don't like the deck saloon style as much when you have to stand to see out of the windows.
- Somewhat narrow, for wide side decks past it.
- The sides and roof to pull back into the cockpit a little, to make a natural dodger behind it (in the 'Besteva' style).
....."
Yes, to me a pilot house should have a helm with good visibility, seat and nav space to qualify. Just big windows doesnt make it!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:59   #44
CLOD

Boat: none

Tayana has nice 48' PH verison
Old 03-01-2013, 12:17   #45

Boat: Comet 41s

There are some confusion in what is a Pilot house and a Deck saloon boat but assuming that what matters are boats that can be steered from the inside, with autopilot or joystick, I like these, even if they are very different and point to different type of sailors:

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Pilothouse comparison, sailboat