Hallberg Rassy 6 22.22%
Hylas 4 14.81%
Island Packet 3 11.11%
Passport, Sabre 1 3.70%
Mason, Cheoy Lee 3 11.11%
Other 10 37.04%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2008, 05:40   #16
cruiser

Boat: Bermuda 40
Hinckley

How about a classic Hinckley Bermuda 40 ?

From Practical Sailor re the Hinckley Bermuda 40 :
"Critics are quick to complain that other builders produce boats that are just as good for less money.More often than not,these sentiments are just sour grapes from people who can't afford a Hinckley or even a different brand of comparable quality.While we acknowledge that there are a few builders around the world which build boats to the same exacting level,Hinckley is nonetheless unique in North American boatbuilding."
Practical Sailor concluded:
"Obviously,Hinckleys aren't for everyone.They are expensive and only you can decide whether the many little quality details are worth the cost. As one owner said,"The B40 is to be bought on the day that the full significance of 'you only have one life to live' becomes clear."

Jack Horner wrote in his boat review:
"The Bermuda 40 is a quintessential example of Tripp's art and masterful eye for near-perfect balance.I think it can be said safely that this boat has stood the test of time,and,although the design is now 40 years old,many people,myself among them,still consider the Bermuda 40 one of the most beautiful yachts afloat."
In conclusion Hornor writes:
"The bottom line is these are very expensive boats,but they do retain their value exceptionally well and under some market conditions may even appreciate in value.They're out of my range of affordability but I can still dream of someday being able to own one or,better yet,design a boat of such lasting beauty."

Ferenc Mate' wrote of the B40 :
"without question the greatest fiberglass boat of all time"

John Kretschmer wrote in his Used Boat Notebook:
If you have $150,000 to spend,would you rather have a beautifully reconditioned 1975 B40 or a new 32 foot ABC production boat ? Which boat will be worth more in five years ? Which boat would you rather sail ?
He also writes "From the recessed,frameless portlights to the custom-made stainless steel deck fittings,to the lovely toerail,the boat drips with quality."

They are great cruising boats especially for a couple. I have to admit that I am a bit biased.
camtep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 01:35   #17
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Cheechako,

Could you explain the reasons you do not like Cheoy Lee designs? Maybe list models you particularly don't like and why. What about models in the 30' range?

Thanks

-Joe
Casco Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 10:36   #18

Actually I like some of the designs, and they are pretty boats. I almost bought a little 28 footer years ago, forget the model. The older ones certainly have plentiful plywood rot cabin/deck issues and were built with a lot of chopper gun use. re: The "newer" 38 footer (was it a Huntingford design?) I inspected one thouroughly for purchase and found it to be lightly put together , thin hulled and extensive chopper gun built. I looked in every nook and cranny in that boat because I really wanted to buy it, but even in the water when you pound inside the hull the whole area shakes. There is an infamous tale about a CL sailing down the West Coast over here years ago and the deck separated from the hull.... probably due to extensive chopper gun layup as opposed to fglass cloth. I'm certainly no expert though, just passing along my take on it.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 23:32   #19
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Cheechako:

Thanks for the info! Interesting stuff.
Casco Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 05:46   #20

Boat: Beneteau First 26
Petmac - THANK YOU! Hinckleys are beautiful! You are obviously doing some homework yourself! I do love this website as there are so many knowledgeable folks and so willing to share information!

Cheechako and Casco Bay - Again, THANK YOU! I was suprised at the response initially as well as Casco Bay seemed to be! Thank you for sharing your information! I have learned more about construction because of your dialogue!
SailingShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 08:49   #21

My favorite best bluewater/ liveaboard Cheoy Lee -Alden "OFFSHORE 50" Ketch. Great sailing and amazing interior open and bright with tons of storage. Also very pet friendly compaionway, only 3 steps for the doggie.
Check out Cheoy Lee boats on their Cheoy Lee Association website.
svpenrhyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 11:38   #22

Re: Best Liveaboard, CC, 39-42', Blue water, Coastal Boat

Of the forums available, this one seemed a good choice for our question;
it is a matter of two boats representing what appear to us as two different
spheres of possibilities. On the one hand, there is a Sabre Mk II 34. It is in exquisite shape with many perks ( electric fresh water head, extra winches, gps, radar, etc. etc.). Though 34 is a bit small for this forum, only my wife and I will be aboard and the aft quarter berth is adequate for guests that may visit ( e.g. our adult children). We know this boat well and Sabre does rate well in the poll presented with this forum.

On the other hand, there is a 7 year old Hylas 46. Those who know these two boats
recognize the comparison is somewhat imbalanced. The Hylas has everything. The Sabre - though splendid for coastal cruising- may find the blue water a bit far from her intended home? Though the Hylas is a 7' draft version ( the Sabre draws 6 )- the extra foot doesn't worry us. The tankage discrepancies we believe we can deal with.

One thing that does worry us, on the other hand, is the difference in maintenance costs and the possibility/probability the Hylas will go places a Sabre of this size might find difficult but, we would anticipate berthing
and anchoring will be a bit easier ( and less expensive) with the Sabre.

Any thoughts, observations, experience with similar issues are appreciated.
Do these two boats necessarily need to represent two very different ranges of possibilities?
HV
Habana Vieja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 11:45   #23
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

taiwanese built boats have a bad rap as folks do not know how to care for em. have you considered hardin, ct, formosa and hans christian and other heavy boats-- they make great living boats and cruise well. cheoy lee also has some great lookers and sweet sailors. look outside the popularity contest... you may be happily surprised.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 11:51   #24

We considered the Hardin, CT, and HC. The Hylas and the Sabre - at least for
us - stay ahead.
Thank You,
HV
Habana Vieja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 12:11   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Best Liveaboard, CC, 39-42', Blue Water, Coastal Boat

Westsail 42. Definitely Bluewater boats and there seem to be some good deals out there.
http://www.westsail.com/Westfs.htm
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard