Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-11-2013, 14:14   #46

Boat: 1979 Gulfstar 50 Ketch
Re: Best high end used sailboat makes up to 60'

Is your budget for financing or buying out right? If the funds are there I would rather buy an older boat that has had a refit in recent years. You will get more bang for your buck that way. There are many older builders out there with great reputations such as pearson, and even gulfstar ( I know I'll get some discussion on that ) if you look at the right models. I am a little biased though with a Gulfstar 50, but is an elusive model that is better built than the norm of the brand. I would do everything I could to learn about various builders but not settle on any one brand if going used. Find local boats for sale and check them out. You may find a swan that has been trashed that compared to an pearson in excellent condition will even cost more and be problematic. Look at boats individually, not just as a brand. Plans to sail across an ocean will take practice and years (at least for me) to work up to. I would be hesitant to spend 4-500k on a boat without first getting some sea miles on a classic ~100kish cruiser to learn what you really want in a boat. sloop, ketch, pilothouse, beamy or fast, displacement ratio, how well the boat points ? There are all things I had to learn what is most comfortable for me through experience, and most boats are a trade off.

Agree with what others have stated, Benne's Jeannaus, Hunters, catalina's are all good coastal cruisers but not of the build quality you are describing.

sunblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 15:47   #47

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Oh Under 500K, I thought you said "High End"
You might score an Amel for that, and a friend of mine has his Halberg Rassy 53' for sale, but he might keep it as he sails that in the Med in summer and his Catana 521 in the Carib in winter. However, An Amel might squeeze in under 500k and is good value, and low running costs.
|Good luck!

Tight sheets to ya.
sy_gilana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 17:42   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

1988 Deerfoot 61 Sail Boat For Sale -

Under 500k, recently updated, and a based ensign that's one of the best. I kinda wish I could head off in the near future.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 17:47   #49

Boat: Tayana 37
If you're going to be doing a lot of singlehanding or short handed sailing, I'd strongly recommend a Shannon. Perhaps either the 41 or 43. They're designed to be easy to handle short staffed abd are proven, reliable, beautiful blue water boats.
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 09:28   #50

I own a Tartan 4100 here in SF Bay and must say that I think it's a great boat. I consider it in a different class than the Beneteau/Hunter/Jeanneau/Catalinas in terms of build and workmanship and liken it to something like a Sabre. We do plan to cruise down the CA Coast, perhaps Mexico at some point, but mostly use it for Bay Sailing, weekending, Drakes Bay, HMB, etc. That said, while I'd feel comfy in it during a long passage, it wouldn't be my first choice for a true blue water boat. Has moderate tankage and I think it's sweet spot is more coastal cruising, though some have circumnavigated.

Every boat I'd consider for long passages in your general price range has been mentioned here already - Pacific Seacraft, Cabo Rico, Gozzard, Oyster, Morris, Little Harbor - would top my list. But as others have mentioned, best to get on some boats and figure out what you like.

We sail the bay a lot, you are more than welcome to join us to check out the Tartan as a data point in your search. Just PM me.

Neal D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:00   #51

Little Harbor!
rschattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 20:14   #52

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 41

Originally Posted by cruisernewbie View Post
I want something with the best balance for coastal cruising and blue water ocean sailing from California to South America and Europe in the long run. Able to sleep me and couple in comfort and style, easy to sail singlehand and stable. I still need to learn about the different rudder types, etc.
I joined here as I was reading this and wanted to comment. In your first post you mentioned wanting to sail the Caribbean. We've seen lots of couples cruising the Caribbean with CE B class 30-35' boats with no problems and having the time of their lives. You do not need a "high end" yacht for Caribbean island hopping.

But when you mention sailing to Europe you are in a different category.

What you choose is going to depend a lot on your crew. Are you a sailing couple? Are you two sailing couples? How much experience do you have? The bigger the boat, the harder it is to handle, and the quicker you will get into trouble when you run into weather. My wife and I have sailed our HR41 from the North Atlantic to the Southern Ocean - BUT there was several times when one of us was incapacitated due to being sick and I'll tell you right now that a 41' ketch is handful to single hand when your first mate is laid up.

In the Caribbean where you can hop from one island to the next in a day it's no big deal. But 9 days out to sea on the Atlantic is another matter.

Personally, I would not spend the extra cash on a high-end yacht just for Caribbean cruising, unless you have money you just want to get rid of. The bigger and more "high end" the boat, the more of a mechanic you have to be to keep her sailing. Also remember to budget for your living expenses when buying your "high end" yacht. Prices may go up or down in a few years, but we have gotten by on about $1,800/month living expenses, so remember to budget that too.

If this is a "dream" you have (and we met plenty of people in our travels that are fulfilling the same "dream" with less than a "high end" yacht) I would suggest maybe chartering a few different boats and trying it out.

Sjora is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: