Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2013, 14:15   #31

Re: Best high end used sailboat makes up to 60'

I think for build quality you have three considerations:

1) Hull
2) Interior
3) Fittings

For each there are cheap ways to do it and a range of more expensive ways. Others know far more than me, but here are my thoughts:

1) Hull and rudder - assuming we are confining ourselves to GRP, there are two (?) considerations: material and process. A high end process will give you a small amount of resin with no voids. I "discount" process will give you more resin and/or voids. It would be interesting to hear form people in the industry who makes boats with little resin and few voids.

2) Interior - High end boats will have semi-custom or custom interiors build by hand by high end craftsman with excellent joinery.

3) Fittings - High end boats will use high end, properly sized, fittings (rig, winches, fixtures, sails, etc) instead of saving money by skimping on quality or size.

I would be interested in what boats meet all of these criteria and also are built for cruising. I suspect very few. I would think there are a few boats that excel in all these areas. I would think they all would be custom or semi-custom.

I think there are more boats that are above average in all three of these categories, including high-end production and most semi-custom boats. Then there are lots of boats whose marketing tries to convince us they fit into this second category, when really they do not.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 14:51   #32

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Take a look at a larger Bristol say 43.3 45.5 and the 51 . Amazing, and stick built .

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 14:51   #33

Oyster
Skinnylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 14:58   #34

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

It all depends what you want to do with the boat and what your priorities are. If you want long distance short handed low maintenance good quality think Amel. If you need speed think J/44 J/46 J/160 or similar. If you want a full keel high volume boat think Island packet and similar. Then again you might want Dock furniture and that's a different game If you are going south think Cat. So many options and opinions.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 16:09   #35

I'd be happy with a high end used luxury blue water cruiser up to 50' that can be shorthand sailed by me or a couple. I like the Amel, Oyster, Najad

and Hallberg-Rassy yachts. Amazing craftsmanship based on the videos I've watched. Unfortunately, finding one to charter is very difficult. Most places have Benneteaus, Catalina's, etc. I do know that OCSC sailing has a Tartan available to rent. If I won the lottery, I'd get the Antares 44 Catamaran but that's out of my budget
cruisernewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 16:21   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisernewbie View Post
I'd be happy with a high end used luxury blue water cruiser up to 50' that can be shorthand sailed by me or a couple. I like the Amel, Oyster, Najad

and Hallberg-Rassy yachts. Amazing craftsmanship based on the videos I've watched. Unfortunately, finding one to charter is very difficult. Most places have Benneteaus, Catalina's, etc. I do know that OCSC sailing has a Tartan available to rent. If I won the lottery, I'd get the Antares 44 Catamaran but that's out of my budget
Do your research. Do you want a spade rudder ? Double ender ? Full keel ? tiller steering or wheel ? Ketch rig , cutter with bow sprit ? etc narrow it down.. most boats are well built ..no manufacture wants a bad rep ( i would presume . I like Shannons and Cabo Ricos
CaribbeanCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 19:27   #37

Boat: Vancouver 27

I'm kinda a small boat guy, also younger than most here, but I just don't understand the attraction to such a large boat. Maybe it's the right move in your case, but IMHO 50' would be such a nuisance to own and handle, and it's draft at times prohibitive.

I find my purpose-built 27' to be more than comfortable enough for two. And it's still a part time job to own and respect.

Just my 2c
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 09:44   #38

I want something with the best balance for coastal cruising and blue water ocean sailing from California to South America and Europe in the long run. Able to sleep me and couple in comfort and style, easy to sail singlehand and stable. I still need to learn about the different rudder types, etc.
cruisernewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 07:10   #39

Boat: Beneteau and Jeanneau 38-54ft

I would suggest Pacific Seacraft 37, 40 and 44. I've sailed two Trans Atlantics on the Crealock 40, a great coastal and blue water design.
Tony
tonywall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 08:18   #40

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

David Walter Yachts...

I fell in love with a Cambria 46 1990 at 248.000$

There is a shanon 50 for 295.000$ , ketch rigged and ,,, is a hell of boat for that price.

The Alden 43 at 325.000$ is just another fine example....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 08:43   #41
Marine Service Provider

catamaran…
FLLCatsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 08:43   #42

I'd suggest you save some of your money for living expenses. Cruising will be a lot more enjoyable if you're not worried about expensive boat maintenance and how much you can spend in exotic harbors.

Don't get caught up on the name plate on the outside of your future yacht. Think more about what it is that you actually want to do, and get the right tool for that job.

When you have enough sailing experience, you'll KNOW what the right tool is. Far too many people here are trying to get a bullet-proof "bluewater" boat instead of getting out there and learning what they really need.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 08:47   #43
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

how bout the nordhavn 56 motorsailer? 750 gallons of fuel.
Old 19-11-2013, 08:50   #44

I would consider both Shannon's and Gozzard yachts.
Bashleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 06:52   #45

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...

Not many used XC 45's around but very nice;
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote