Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2015, 03:34   #61

Boat: Vindö 45
Re: Best European Cruising Boats $60,000 (€48K) or Less

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndytheSailor View Post
If you shop around a Contessa 32 is considered one of the all time greats. They have done so many circumnavigations and also one of the few yachts to survive the '79 Fastnet.

Is there any way to sail a Contessa 32 before buying?
Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 03:49   #62

When I started looking for a yacht, I was initially looking at 34 foot yachts as it was a size I was familiar with.

What caught my attention at the time was the Comfort 34/Sweden Yachts 34/Sweden Yachts 340

Sweden yachts built the Swedish Americas cup challengers.

I'm not sure the exact history but the Comfort 34/Sweden Yachts 34 was the same yacht, just renamed once Sweden Yachts came into existence. The 340 was an updated 34.

Here are some examples currently for sale

1977 Sweden Yachts Comfort 34 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1983 Sweden Yachts Comfort 34 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

A little over "budget"
1991 Sweden Yachts 340 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

even more over, but has better interior photos
1988 Sweden Yachts 340 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 23-03-2015, 08:32   #63

Try not to bring to different direction of this topic, but I am kind of feeling same way. My ideal boats are located in europe and I am seriously thinking about to purchase at there and import to US. But I do not know how to do it.
I do not know how much cost to deliver to US, including those cost, a boat might be very expensive,,,,
Anybody done before??
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 09:04   #64
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

EDIT: Corrected link
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 09:11   #65
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_757 View Post
Try not to bring to different direction of this topic, but I am kind of feeling same way. My ideal boats are located in europe and I am seriously thinking about to purchase at there and import to US. But I do not know how to do it.
I do not know how much cost to deliver to US, including those cost, a boat might be very expensive,,,,
Anybody done before??
Hi.

That is a good question. I don't want to derail this thread either, but here is some of an answer.

I was curious about the same issues of finding, buying, and then moving a boat that is bought IN Europe, with the goal of using it in American (North or South) waters.

My thinking on this at this point is:

1. The boat purchased in Europe for use in American (North or South) waters should be special in some way. (rare make or very high quality or unique or unavailable in USA). This excludes many popular European brands that are "production boats" of which there are many already in the American waters. And my original post is not about new boats built in Europe and then delivered to American waters, but is about older or used boats (lower price to fit the parameters of the topic).

2. Moving the boat from Europe to the American (North or South) waters has to be considered part of the cost of the boat. This move could be on its own keel (transAtlantic crossing with a delivery skipper and crew) or by shipping the boat on a large commercial ship. Either way will likely add $10,000 - $20,000 or more to the cost, and that is highly variable.

The least expensive way to get it across the Atlantic might be sailing it yourself (with some unpaid crew) across the Atlantic, but there are time requirements (another cost) for that too (about 4 weeks or longer to reach a port in USA).

3. It makes sense to use the boat IN Europe for some time (some cruising) prior to bringing it back to American (North or South) waters. Or purchase it, use it in Europe (or Med) for some length of time (years) and then sell it in Europe.

Here is a link to a quick Google Custom Search of this forum for threads mentioning "Buy a boat in Europe." Many issues are discussed in those threads:

buy a boat in Europe - Google Search
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 12:14   #66

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndytheSailor View Post
If you shop around a Contessa 32 is considered one of the all time greats. They have done so many circumnavigations and also one of the few yachts to survive the '79 Fastnet.
Contessa 32 indeed a fine example. Not only readily available in varied conditions / prices but also new.

A very small cruising boat, by today's standards; still definitely one of best start-up boats for a solo sailor, or for any young romantic intimate couple.

EDIT: I do know of at least one old romantic intimate couple that went for a C32 as their long term cruising home!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 20:09   #67

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 382

Hey guys, are there any thoughts on one of the boat types originally posted - the HR312? I'm wondering if anyone has any direct experience with this specific model, how it handles bluewater conditions. My gut feeling is that size might be an issue. I know Hallberg Rassy's other versions can handle it well- the Rasmus and up. Any opinions or thoughts would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
greybeardloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 03:22   #68

Boat: X-Yachts Xc-50

Hi,

Since a couple of years, I own an Italian made Genesi 43' by Comar Yachts. It is very well built, comfortable enough and sails amazingly in all conditions. I could not be happier with my purchase decision.
I highly recommend it. Boats from the 90s can be purchased for less than $60K. Excellent price/quality ratio in the used boat market.

FIND YOUR BOAT - Media Ship
bikesherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 19:46   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeardloon View Post
Hey guys, are there any thoughts on one of the boat types originally posted - the HR312? I'm wondering if anyone has any direct experience with this specific model, how it handles bluewater conditions. My gut feeling is that size might be an issue. I know Hallberg Rassy's other versions can handle it well- the Rasmus and up. Any opinions or thoughts would be appreciated.

It is not designed for water sailing">blue water sailing. HR designed boats of adequate size for that. It will handle off-shore conditions as dictated by her size.

They are not fast, but then again they were not designed for speed either. I like the windshield and the decent cockpit (the volume of which will become a liability in any serious wx). I think I like the older version better, much as the newer one has better layout and better light inside. I do NOT like the saildrive. I like the tankage and its distribution. I like the new galley better than the old one.

Performance-wise: mind there were different rig sizes thru the run.

If I were to go blue water in a HR312, I would. I think given all pros and cons it is a small but capable (within limits) boat. If she gets overpowered at a point, probably any other boat of her size would. Would all of them make it thru? I doubt it. A HR might.

So to say, if your heart desires one, it will not be the stupidest decision one can make.

Cheers,
b.
Old 25-03-2015, 20:16   #70

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 382

Thanks Barnakiel, I appreciate the time you took to give me feedback.

greybeardloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 08:09   #71

One can sail a Contessa 32, as well as any other boat, when buying.

Normally, there is what you can call a sea-test that will allow you to see what the boat is all about, on the water. Then if you like the boat, you will probably have her hoisted to judge the underwater condition of the hull and appendages.

If you want a longer ride, find an owner of one and ask to join them on a day-sail.

b.

Tags
cruising, Europe, rope