Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2014, 07:25   #31

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Best Cruisers under 35' - new to 2 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesmith View Post
Have you had enough of the Seaward 32 suggestions?

Here's another one. I am biased We won't be in the market to replace our Seaward 25 for 4 or 5 more years, but when we do, it will be with a Seaward 32. No worries on resale. Even though they are a smaller manufacturer, the used ones don't stay on the market long, so long as the owners aren't unrealistic with pricing. Very loyal following.

As far as other production boats go, we liked the looks of the Bavaria line, when we saw them last fall at the Newport show.

Thanks for more view on Seaward. I agree, the 32RK for its purpose is a nice boat. I'm looking for something more purpose built to an elevated level of coastal capacity with creature comfort. I did not know the realistically priced used Seawards were so popular.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 08:14   #32

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Best Cruisers under 35' - new to 2 years old

It's good to hear from a Seaward owner. Living on the west coast of Florida we have been interested in them for a while now. We've seen several out on the water & they look great but haven't talked to an owner. It does appear, from watching them on Yacht World, that they hold their value well.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 11:29   #33

Boat: Catalina 350

Yes, they do hold value well. Our 25 is a wing keel, and isn't a speed demon up wind. It does hold its own though, and always gets us there. You just have to learn how to use the traveler to your advantage and know when to reef. I don't like the trend with many of the newer boats of not having a traveler. I'd miss it.

Any issues we have ever had with the 25's design have been improved on with the RK design in the 26 and 32. Hake makes great use of space on these boats. As far as taking these boats over to the Bahamas, etc, there's an interesting writeup by a 32 owner here on hake's web site:

32RK Completes Passage From Florida to Guatemala | Seaward Yachts

(No, I don't have an interest in their company, just a happy boat owner)
sesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 16:23   #34

Boat: Comet 41s

I have read a boat test with the Jeanneau 349 and the Oceanis 35 (Voile magazine) and I can add some information:

The Oceanis 35 with the shallow draft keel is a very stiff boat that can carry all sail with 18k of wind, sails remarkably well for a centerboarder and has a wheel a bit heavy. For a centerboarder has a good performance upwind and can sail at 50º off the wind and tack in 100º. They say that even if not testing side by side, the Oceanis 35 feels a more powerful boat. That has certainly to do with the much bigger beam and probably that it will make it slightly fast on a beam reach and downwind, as I had said before.

The Jeanneau 349 with the Swing keel, as I had said before, has a sailing performance as good as the one with the deep keel (Marc Lombard, the designer said that probably even a bit better because the CG is just a bit lower) it has a very light and precise steering. The boat has a remarkably performance upwind and can tack in 85º.

They would have preferred the Jeanneau with a backstay (that comes standard without one) but it seems that a textile one can be mounted.

It seems that I had judged correctly the two boats on a previous post. They could not test the performance on light winds but I am pretty sure that on those conditions the Jeanneau will be faster.

Anyway, good news in what regards the Oceanis 35 with a centerboard that for that type of boat sails remarkably well and is very stiff.

I hope it helps.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 09:28   #35

Thanks Paulo. Your update does help. Your views in earlier posts are confirmed with these articles. I also read in one of your threads (on another topic) that you identified a few European sailing journals as offering more detail with fact based testing on boats and gear. I will put Google translate engines to good use as I find these links.
Old 31-12-2014, 11:10   #36

Here you have the test from the Yacht.de, with the version you want (Oceanis 35 and SO 349) Click in Vorschau and you can have a view of the test:

DownloadÂ*|Â*YACHT.DE

DownloadÂ*|Â*YACHT.DE

You have to log in and pay 2 euros for the download on PDF than you have to find someone that speaks German or you can passe it to "word" through a scanner with word recognition and then use a translator. complicated but I have done it successfully regarding boats that I was really interested in. My wife Speaks German but many times the nautical terms are particular ones.

Voile and Voliers has the test of the Oceanis 35 here:
Océanis 35 (Bénéteau / Finot/Conq)
I am not sure if they tested the SO 349. Here are the magazines:
Tous les sommairesVoiles et Voiliers
You have to ask for a magazine to be sent by mail.

Regarding Voile magazine is all much simpler:

On this one the test between the two boats that I had mentioned:
Voile Magazine | Buy Single Issues | Revistas e livros digitais do Zinio

On this one the Dufour 349

and on this one a test with the Oceanis 35 (100Nm)

And on this one were the two boats were competing for the Voile magazine boat of the year (among) others. The Jeanneau was overall 2th on the competition (test sails by the readers of the magazine and professionals), the Oceanis 35 did not make to the podium. On the 35 again, all found that the steering was not very agreeable and a bit stiff even if all found that the boat had also the qualities that I described before. On the Jeanneau almost everybody found qualities.

I think they are two good sailboats. It is up to you to decide the qualities you like more.
Old 31-12-2014, 20:21   #37

Many thanks Paulo for the documentation sources. I will make good use of them.

Another boat has caught my eye, the Tartan 3400. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1420085970.052254.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	94642
http://sailingmagazine.net/article-507-tartan-3400.html
Video http://youtu.be/UyBaQTmWad0

A traditional design but one that appears to pass the important test of time. This brand and particular model also hits a main criteria of ease of resale when I need to move into something new.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:52   #38

2015/16 EC currency fluctuation may provide advantage to buying a Solana or Varianta.
From another thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/....php?p=1713665
Old 03-01-2015, 08:13   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
2015/16 EC currency fluctuation may provide advantage to buying a Solana or Varianta.
From another thread: Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Single Post - Tri's or Cat's?
It is Salona. Salona was the name of a Roman city very near the place Salona has the shipyard.

When visiting the Salona 35 you will not see anything of special. You need to sail one. Regarding building notice the two waterproof bulkheads, one on the bow, the other separating the rudder from the rest of the boat. Ask them also to explain to you how the keel and shrouds are connected to the boat (by a stainless still big structure that distributes efforts by the hull) I saw that at the factory and was impressed). That is not by accident that the oldest and best sailing school uses a fleet of Salonas for the offshore sailing courses.

Stage Glénans - Force Sète à Marseille - Vidéo Dailymotion

Old 03-01-2015, 09:29   #40

Boat: CS 27

What would be the cause of the stiff steering? Odd that the 38 doesn't have the same problem given the similarity in design. Unless related to a major component, I would think Beneteau could address the issue in future builds.
Chrisgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:51   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisgo View Post
What would be the cause of the stiff steering? Odd that the 38 doesn't have the same problem given the similarity in design. Unless related to a major component, I would think Beneteau could address the issue in future builds.
Probably, but that was something that all testers in different sail magazines reported as well as the pleasure that was steering the Jeanneau 349.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:08   #42

Boat: CS 27

Yes, that's true. Perhaps they all tested the same boat, having been passed around Europe for the purposes of reviews, although that seems like a long shot. In any event the problem may not have come to light soon enough for it to be resolved in the production of the early boats.

It's such and odd, (to me) issue. I've never heard of being so glaring that one reviewer thought the wheel lock was on. That is quite severe. It would have been beneficial for perhaps one tester to have a look at the linkages and perhaps offer up an opinion - but a tall request for sure - they may not be easily visible.

I'm going to ask the dealers at my local boat show this week what they think.
Chrisgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:12   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisgo View Post
Yes, that's true. Perhaps they all tested the same boat, having been passed around Europe for the purposes of reviews, although that seems like a long shot. ...
No, I think you are right, the boat was probably the same and always the one with swallow keel with a centerboard.

Tags
cruise, cruiser