Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 15:48   #1

Boat: Grew up sailing Blue Jays then Lightnings, Ensign 22, Hunter 33 sailed the PNW and loved it!
Best Choice for Interior Wood?

Hello to all,

Interested in buying a new PSC Dana. New builder will provide alternative woods. The curent one they have for sale is not teak rather it is cherry!

What I would like to know is what wood is best suited for interior? Advantages and disadvantages.

My understanding is cherry is harder and also less expensive. I would like to hear oppinions on other woods.

I want solid woods and am not talking about "vaneers" or imitation!

Thank You!

Mike
topfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 16:08   #2

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
If weight isn't a problem then take your pick. Not familiar with the boat and it's construction but choosing for color and effect, amount of light in the cabin etc should be considered. Also trim can be of a harder wood and can accent things as well as protect corners. If everything is dark cherry and there is nothing painted or light in color (like the cieling for instance) things can get kind of gloomy. But cherry adds a nice' warmth' to things also "The best" depends on your taste and needs. Weight might be one to think about if you are speaking of walls, cieling and all joinery. It can add up.
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 16:25   #3

Boat: Grew up sailing Blue Jays then Lightnings, Ensign 22, Hunter 33 sailed the PNW and loved it!
Ty Conrad

Thanks Conrad,

My understanding is that cherry is lighter then teak. The boat built by seacraft in WA state used cherry wood for its first hull since purchasing mold from PSC. It can be seen on lattitudes and Attitudes boat review.

I have observed that several boat builders are using cherry wood instead of teak- one that comes to mind is Tartan.. I am wondering about other woods as well.. Please keep in mind I am talking about a 24 foot sailboat. The entire interior is not wood and has a white contrast!

Thanks
Mike
Old 09-02-2010, 16:45   #4

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Ive used cherry for interiors in the past and its a good choice but still kinda dark,i tend not to like dark interiors especially in boats like the Dana that only have little ports. Ash has been used on a few production boats such as the J30 and Express 37 and to me they are way more attractive than the typical teak cave,dont get me wrong,i love working with teak but to me its better suited to boats that have more window to let in light. Birch may be good too,it is identical to cherry in grain but lighter in color.Make sure you get a hefty discount though if teak is the standard,there is a huge cost difference in the lumber.
Steve
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 16:50   #5

Cherry will darken with age. Well oiled teak is dark but look at all the sunbleached decks. Both relatively soft. Teak open grained, cherry rather tight. Others? Damn! There are hundreds of woods! Dark, dark: ebony, walnut, rosewood, mahogany. Light, light:white oak, maple, ash. Those are all hardwoods and therefore heavier. Alot can be done with softwoods also. Good old doug fir, white pine, spruce, cedar. And then stains, oils, hand rubbed paint. Check out your local building supply kitchen section and browse the catalogues, boat and home. It isn't as though you need to worry about rot inside! Hopefully...
Old 09-02-2010, 17:03   #6

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Right on about cherry getting darker with age Conrad.Those kind of boats typically overdo the woodwork but may be nice with the Herreschoff style interior with lots of white paint set off with a dark hardwood trim,always looks classy to me and nice and bright.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 17:13   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Mahogany makes a pretty good rot resistant and relatively inexpensive wood...compared to teak. It also looks pretty traditional. Honduran mahogany is better and more expensive but Philippine will work although it is not a true mahogany.

I agree with clockwork in that you don't need to turn it in to an all wood man-cave for it to look nice.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 17:31   #8

Thanks for the quick response

Here is the link to seacraft and the new changes with the Dana 24.

Seacraft Yacht Sales - Dana 24 Changes

Cherry and teak are standard. I do not see a price difference (there may be). My understanding is that teak costs 4 times that of cherry! No other woods are actually listed as options and I think its about potential owner preference and budget.

I appreciate an oiled rubbed finish over a varnished finish. I also am thinking of mixing some woods. I like a light interior and thing dark trim may add some class. Keep in mind it is offset with a white background.

I am a little cynical regarding soft woods do to rot and dings..

I have not recieved a price break down regarding wood preference (still waiting). I am spectulating since both cherry and teak are standard that both are included in base price. That assumption may be incorrect!

I have looked at high end boats (sweeden, sabre, halberg rassy, tarten) and noticed that there seems to be a trend getting awy from rub oil teak. I may be mistaken.

I realize that teak is still the choice for exterior do to its weathering properties. I still think weathering should be considered reagarding the interior.

Its very exciting for me to actually have some say in the wood. I have never actually had this input in the past. This is also a new company with only ONE actual hull produced since taking ownership of the DANA mold. Cherry was the builders choice.

The posts mentioning cedar and woods alike would probably be to soft. I am curious about Ash and mahagony. I have found the staff to be very helpful and want to make my own decision and not find myself steered in a builders preference.

Thanks to ALL....
Old 09-02-2010, 17:43   #9

The brand new cherry in the photos will darken way down. Consider contrasting trim- fiddles, corners, even rails vs pannels on the doors. Could be subtle or bold depending on the woods you choose.
Old 09-02-2010, 17:54   #10

Actual boat with Cherry interior

Thanks guys,

This is a link from Lats & Atts and show cases the new Dana 24 built in WA state. First hull using cherry wood...

Watch and give my your opinions..

Thanks Steve and Dave,

Mike
Old 10-02-2010, 09:15   #11

Nice looking little boat!
Take your pick. I don't think even the darker woods will darken it too much in there. There seems to be plenty of light and also light surfaces.
Stay with teak on the sole. Dripping and wet feet and all.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:11   #12

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Sapele is good too. More durable than mahogany.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 16:34   #13

Thumbs up Thanks Everyone

Thanks Conrad, It is a really nice boat and built right up by me. The one pictured above is Cherry woood and I do not think its to dark and looks very nice. I also do not think that Teak on that boat looks to dark as well- especially with the white contrast.

I do not believe PSC built Dana's with wood other then Teak and mostly Oil rub finished. I am unable to tell if this Cherry is varnished or oil rubbed. I prefer oil rub. I also have never owned a boat with Cherry wood and was wondering how well it holds up compared to Teak. I realize that its interior wood work but still its on a boat. All I was told by the builder was that Cherry wood was Harder then Teak and also harder for the wood workers.

I asked Lats and Atts who also did the review posted above. One person up here in WA told me he belived that Teak cost FOUR times that of Cherry. I have no confirmation as to that fact or opinion.

I am still waiting for the builder to provide me a Detailed list for base boat and a price list for Dana options.. Similar to how PSC out of CA did it prior to selling thier mold. The curent builder gives the buyer the option of either Cherry or Teak as STANDARD. The other woods are options.

Thanks
Mike
Old 10-02-2010, 16:55   #14

Dang Topfish! You HAD to put this 'choice' into my radar vision.....my bank account is SOO Screwed!! I'm going to check the going rate for a healthy kidney LOL! Seems to be a quality built boat, and it appears there were 2 on the dock in the video.
CastOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 17:05   #15

If they decide to sell base boats without finished interiors; I think they might garner a waiting list in this economy. Many folks have their own ideas as to how they'd like the interior laid out from past boat ownership. If the Dana 24 becomes available at a 'Base Boat price' (meaning hull and deck completely finished, and outboard option vs diesel inboard) it should take off very well. Not that the finished boats won't, but $90K in this economy is'nt 'disposable income' to many families. This medium/heavy displacement shoal draft cruiser is along my lines of interest right now. Thanks again for bringing it to the attention of the forum!
CastOff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior