Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-09-2015, 09:52   #16

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Best charter company in bvi

TMM has always been good to us. The boats are not new but are well maintained.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Giving money and power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
Alaska JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 11:17   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
Originally Posted by rancher44 View Post

The moorings offer classes by a sailing school and at the completion
They offer a charter captains licence [for charter only]

There may be some confusion here between two different things at the BVI Moorings base. After you have chartered with Moorings they will issue you a "Captain's License" which is good for a discount on future charters with them. It is strictly an in-house Moorings feature.

Also, Steve and Doris Colgate's Offshore Sailing School has a base at the Moorings marina in BVI. They offer courses such as Basic Keelboat, Basic Cruising, and Bareboat Cruising which are certified by US Sailing. These certificates are recognized everywhere, including by the charter companies in Europe which all require certification.

Im aware of both, it was a rhetorical question, as neither is a true "licence". One is essentially a customer loyality program and the other training certification.

I make the point because many, like the OP, are often confused about the difference between certification and licensing.

belizesailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 11:51   #18

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

The BVI is so safe that most companies will charter to almost anyone. Hard to get in trouble there.
magellanyachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 19:44   #19

Boat: Alden Malabar Sr 33

I've bare boated in the BVI over twenty times over the past 27 years. I've used Moorings, Sunsail, Conch, BVI Bareboats and BVI Yacht Charters. Essentially you have three tiers. Newest boats, nicer locker rooms, nicer clubhouse cost you more at Moorings, Sunsail. A little older boats with less elaborate facilities gets you a better price. Then you get to tier three (Conch) older yet boats, slower service, less well maintained boats. My choice for 12-15 trips has been BVI Yacht Charters, where I'll be chartering again come mid January. Nice selection of boats, about half base owned/half base managed. Decent facilities & location, great service and reliability with prices substantially lower than Moorings or Sunsail. If price is no object I'd go with Moorings. To me, the cost benefit metrics make the most sense at BVIYC. Most of their business is repeat. Cheers!~
sloopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 19:49   #20

Thanx everyone for your comments and info!! My plan is to get some experience locally thru superior charter in and around the apostle islands then charter down there hopefully later this winter or spring. My main goal was to get a list of charter co. In the bvi. That I could research...thnx to your comments I'm well on my way! What I didn't know was there is no license needed except in europe. Found that interesting!!

Thnx again everyone
Kjandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 22:11   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Another vote for bvi yacht charters

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Bill Streep
San Antonio/Port Aransas, TX
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 16:24   #22

Try Swain Sailing School at Nanny Cay. You can get lessons and charter as well.
hagerrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:12   #23

Boat: 40' Leopard

Totally correct Dr Sea.

rancher44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: