Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2014, 12:09   #1

Best buy in a solid cruising boat (go anywhere, $30k or less)

Stir a little poop here: what do you think is the best value/undervalued/super capable/semi bulletproof cruising boat for $30k or less?

I'm generally looking for something about 35 feet. I have a Triton which I love but admittedly is a bit cramped for full time living aboard, particularly in the northeast.

Some contenders would be Alberg 35s which would be very cheap, but I'm thinking about getting away from CCA boats with their overhangs and limited space. Tartan 34s look super cheap but I'm not a big fan of centerboards.

Southern Cross's would be perfect for me but I can't imagine having that much money anytime soon.

I could swing $30k without it being a horrible burden.

Looking for something ocean capable, prefer full keels. I don't need a huge boat, the Triton is a bit cramped though.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
sully75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 12:22   #2
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser
Re: Best buy in a solid cruising boat (go anywhere, $30k or less)

Maybe look at a Collin Archer 32
Zai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 12:50   #3

hmmm. looks like none for sale? Similar to a Westsail 32? I kinda reject that on the terms of "wet boat" and "slow" although it's on the possibiltiies list. I might take give preference to the Alberg 35 over the Westsail 32 but I think they both balance out as really, really strong boats with somewhat serious flaws (Westsail = slowish/wet Alberg 35 = small inside and wet).

Both are contenders though.

Old 26-10-2014, 13:13   #4
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser

Here is a link FINN Båt

200 000 kroner is about 30K US
Zai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 18:02   #5

No wood boats for me, thanks.

Old 26-10-2014, 18:18   #6

Westsail 32, Cape Dory 33 etc

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 18:28   #7

Look at Mariners 36 (NH ones not the Taiwan built ones which are a totally diffrent boat by a different company built in the early 70s). Not a full keel but very stable, points and tracks well. Can go on for hours with locked wheel - and you can pretend it's on auto pilot. )) Very sturdy built. About 18,000lbs, 20,000lbs loaded with stuff. Last made in the early 80s, only about 80 were built but now a few are on the market, probably due to their long time owners getting on in years. Very loyal owner following. But most are selling now right around $30K. Of course they' dhave all the expected issues of a 30+ year old boat but most are very resolvable and make sense as the boat's quality overall encourages such investment.

PS Full disclosure - we own one but all of these facts I found out after the purchase as during the pre-purchase survey by a surveyor and 2 very qualified marine pros the boat was happily pronounced a good buy in the range you are looking but I didn't know squat about how good the boat was until I started researcing more about it. I know I went about purchasing this one in *ss-backward way. But I was initially looking to replace a 27footer with a 30footer and this one came up unexpectedly at a price just slightly higher than most 30footers I was looking at. And none of the 3 marine pros had any interest whatsoever in me buying or not buying her which helped to cement my decision.

PPS This model is considered the proverbial "sleeper" as quality wise it's at least at Sabre level (some say better) but because it is not well known outside New England, with only about 80 boats having been made, it is way undervalued.
Island Time O25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 19:32   #8

Everything I've read on the Downeaster 38 or 32 shows it to be strong and affordable. I talked with an ex-owner and he loved his. I'm debating whether to raise my own bar to get more 'finish' in a Corbin or Hans Christian or to get the basic DE unit and save a bundle.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Grumpyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 19:51   #9

Downeaster looks pretty damn good.

I have a really hard time with the looks of those clipper bow decorations but I guess I could love with it.

Anyone have any opinions about the alberg 35? Similar to my triton which I like a lot although lately I'm wondering about getting a boat with a longer waterline length. Overhangs are super pretty but maybe not as functional as I thought they were.

Old 26-10-2014, 19:52   #10

Boat: csy 37

Downeaster 32 here in Daytona Beach sold for $15k a few months ago. Not in bad shape, everything worked, just badly in need of a good cleaning. Much roomier than a Triton or Alberg 35.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 19:55   #11

All this makes me
RealiZe I'm going to have a hard hard time selling this boat

Old 27-10-2014, 06:47   #12

I know this has been done to death, but how does a Westsail 32 do in one specific scenario: close hauled in a nasty chop? That's one where I've been dissapointed with the Triton and also gotten kinda scared. Possibly because I have too much weight in the bow and stern but the stuff that there for the most part is necessary.

Anyway, will the Westsail hobby horse in the waves and get slowed down or barrell through? I'm less concerned about speed but more with consistent progress.

Old 27-10-2014, 08:22   #13

sticking to monos only?
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 08:23   #14

pretty much. at that price point what would you suggest multi wise?

Old 27-10-2014, 08:33   #15

in the thirty range you can get good Iroquois, catalacs, and others. Working on the premise that the hulls are thick with no wood. The boats will be late 70's generally. Shallow draft, faster but a whole different sailing experience. Salon headroom is usually 5 feet or less but the amas are 6'6" typically. A lot more room per foot if you can get past the bridgedeck shuffle. Depends a lot on how you spend your time. I am usually in the cockpit, eating or sleeping. so the amout of time doing the shuffle is minimal. Again, it is what you find comfortable.
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising