Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 12:35   #121

Re: Best buy in a solid cruising boat (go anywhere, $30k or less)

How about a Pearson Vanguard?
32' 6 and full keel.
Little lacking on the beam of only 9.5 but still a great boat at economical price.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
jmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 13:09   #122

Thanks for the thought. For me not enough of a jump in size to be worthwhile.

sully75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 13:55   #123
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

If I were looking for a solid boat in the 30-35 foot range for less than 30k, I would look for a Miura 31 or a Wauquiez Centurion 32. I have seen decent examples for 15k-20k. While they are small compared to a modern 32 footer, they both have more space then a Triton. I sailed on a Miura in 35 knots and she was very well behaved. The Miura I sailed on came to the US via the Cape to Rio race, with a very green crew. Then made it over with no issue.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 14:17   #124

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38

I came here to post the same question with pretty much the same criteria and budget and found your post instead, so thanks! I'm looking to sell my Pearson 26, which I've pushed pretty much to its capabilities between New York and the Bay of Fundy. I'd go boatless to save up for a year or two and buy something that can take me and some friends to Newfoundland, Labrador and maybe eventually much farther.

So far I'm thinking the Westsail 32, the Alberg 35 and the Downeaster 32 look like my best options, but of course I would be flexible if I found a good deal. Like you said, the Southern Cross 31 would be great if a cheap one came around.

Any more thoughts on the Pearson 35? Sounds like cockpit drainage is an issue but upgrading the drains is cheap. They seem to be cheaper and easier to find than its predecessor the Alberg, with a few other advantages as well. Maybe less bulletproof overall? Any other limitations to offshore sailing?

And this is the first I heard anything negative about the Downeaster 32. Can anyone else chime in on their reputation?
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 15:03   #125

This DE 32 looks pretty sweet, for example:

1976 Downeaster Downeaster 32 sailboat for sale in Maine
Old 02-11-2014, 15:20   #126

I've heard the pearson 35 is more a coastal cruiser vs blue water based on its capsize ratio or whatever you call that.

Old 02-11-2014, 15:50   #127

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

The early Downeast 38, with which I am familiar, suffered from the typical early-Taiwan-boat syndrome.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 15:58   #128

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sully,

I haven't posted here in your thread before, because you do not yet have a boat and I'm very persnickety about boat choices, but I wanted to share a thought with you, based on the fact that I've been hanging out on the Rudder Failures thread started by smackdaddy.

There, some people I respect have suggested that, before heading offshore, you drop your rudder during a haulout and do a really thorough inspection. It seems some people overlook this essential part. Anyhow, if you're interested, it's a long thread, with a few derailments, but some very interesting posts.

Ann
Old 02-11-2014, 16:19   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
The early Downeast 38, with which I am familiar, suffered from the typical early-Taiwan-boat syndrome.
I imagine this involves cutting corners in production, etc., but can you perhaps elaborate on what this means?

Bluewaterboats.org (which I've found useful for general comparisons) says that they are made in California with no mention of Taiwan, and no listed known problems which they often have on that site. On the same site one owner posted the following favorable comparison to the Westsail 32, which is also pertinent to Sully's concerns:

"Have owned a West Sail 32 for many years and sailed over 15,000 miles before I acquired a DE 32. Both boats were very well built – sturdy Water boats">blue water boats. The Downeaster 32 has much more head room and general interior space than the Westsail 32. Both have similiar ratios (displacement etc) – the DE 32 does not hobby horse like Westsail 32 did. Also the DE 32 comes to weather much better than the Westsail 32. High bulkwarks are very similiar on both boats and I personally like the DE wine glass stern better than the double end stern on the Westsail – Both are very great off shore boats and in my opinion great blue water boats"
Old 02-11-2014, 16:32   #130

I mentioned the '70's DE 38 which was built in Taiwan, AFAIK. And, no, I can't be specific except to warn others to very thoroughly survey that genre and be prepared for major refitting.
Old 02-11-2014, 16:50   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Sully,

I haven't posted here in your thread before, because you do not yet have a boat and I'm very persnickety about boat choices, but I wanted to share a thought with you, based on the fact that I've been hanging out on the Rudder Failures thread started by smackdaddy.

There, some people I respect have suggested that, before heading offshore, you drop your rudder during a haulout and do a really thorough inspection. It seems some people overlook this essential part. Anyhow, if you're interested, it's a long thread, with a few derailments, but some very interesting posts.

Ann

Thanks Ann. I actually do have a triton right now and it's good but It's a little small for living onboard full time.

I'd love to hear your persnickety opinion.

My rudder was pulled two years ago but not by me. I'd like to pull it again but not sure if it will happen this year.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:14   #132

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa View Post
If I were looking for a solid boat in the 30-35 foot range for less than 30k, I would look for a Miura 31 or a Wauquiez Centurion 32. I have seen decent examples for 15k-20k. While they are small compared to a modern 32 footer, they both have more space then a Triton. I sailed on a Miura in 35 knots and she was very well behaved. The Miura I sailed on came to the US via the Cape to Rio race, with a very green crew. Then made it over with no issue.
There is a Wauquiez Gladiateur 33 up his way for around $29,000. It's fast phrf around 132-138, has a 2006 engine, can point well, and is on the Mahina List of Offshore Boats (as is the Triton and all Bristols from 27'- 45"), and it has a tiller.

Used 1983 Wauquiez Gladiateur 33, Kent Island, Md - 21638 - BoatTrader.com

Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:40   #133
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
There is a Wauquiez Gladiateur 33 up his way for around $29,000. It's fast phrf around 132-138, has a 2006 engine, can point well, and is on the Mahina List of Offshore Boats (as is the Triton and all Bristols from 27'- 45"), and it has a tiller.

Used 1983 Wauquiez Gladiateur 33, Kent Island, Md - 21638 - BoatTrader.com

Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising
That is a sweet boat too.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 14:01   #134

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sully,

I'll take a stab at the early Taiwan boat issues, but may miss some, so I'd appreciate some help from TN on this one.

1) Poor quality control leading to voids in layup, sometimes just lacking glass, but some containing old newspaper.

2) Poor quality of s/s, leading to pitting and weakness.

3) Use of plywood improperly encased in fiberglass, or inadequately sealed when deck hardware was installed. The Rebel Heart, which had to be abandoned this year, was (IMO) likely the victim of this flaw.

4) Black iron tanks that eventually fail, and then you have to destroy largeparts of the boat to gain access, followed by rebuilding.

The timber work often is beautiful, it's simply that you cannot trust them because you can't see the flaws, or you just replace everything, which means your $30k wouldn't go as far as you were hoping.

Go look at boats in your price range, see what makes your heart go pitty-pat, there may be a number of them. Then come back and tell us what you liked and what you question, ask for experienced opinions. In addition, search on the web for owners' forums, you'll see what kinds of problems people are solving relative to the type of boat you're interested in. We'll be able to help better if you do it that way, and at the end of the day, you're the one who'll have to live with your choice, so my opinion as to brand names is strictly irrelevant.

Mainly, have fun with it. It's a learning experience.

Ann
Old 03-11-2014, 14:19   #135

Anne--good post.

The reason I can't/won't be more specific is there isn't room, here, to cover all the problems one might find in this genre. The other is that my Downeast 38 experience occurred nearly 40 years ago. And I don't want to exclude important issues that a dedicated surveyor will likely find.

Even when Taiwan boatyards utilized the services of qualified naval architects, the yards still cheated heavily. To save money, because their resources were insufficient, and because they simply didn't know any better. Remember, many of these boat builders were simple farmers. So their boats, especially the early ones, were just guaranteed to contain numerous problems, some serious.

So do your own due diligence.

Tags
cruising