Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2014, 08:29   #91

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Best buy in a solid cruising boat (go anywhere, $30k or less)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
How do end up owning two of the same boat btw? Sellers regret? Seems like you'd lose a lot of money invested each time you sell?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Just to echo ctl's sentiments. If it fit into my sailing plans, I would seriously consider another 37 Cutter. Especially at the current price point (not even a good down payment on a small cat like my current boat). And I know the negatives of the boat so would already know where to focus my refit dollars.

I also sold for similar reasons. Wife wanted a roomier boat for our next round of cruising so that we could comfortably accomdate guests.

And yes, I did suffer from seller's regret. In fact my wife used to tease me about missing my mistress.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 08:36   #92

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
No pm recieved.
It was a joke.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 09:32   #93

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Quote:
How do end up owning two of the same boat btw? Sellers regret? Seems like you'd lose a lot of money invested each time you sell?

Try to make it short, first set 25 30 37 in my early to mid/late 20's.
Second 30 after wife and kids late 30's. Bought the 30 to see if wife liked "big" boat sailing she already liked sailing on our Lightning. She liked/likes it alot but the 30 is a "light" boat and not much room with infant twins. Baby stuff takes up a ton of room. So I started looking for a 37c.
Yup not the way to make money, lost probably $10000 on this last sale alone.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 09:59   #94

Boat: Bayfield 32

Bayfield 32 is the best suit for you.
Mellieha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 17:25   #95

Boat: Alberg 35

Quote:
hmmm. looks like none for sale? Similar to a Westsail 32? I kinda reject that on the terms of "wet boat" and "slow" although it's on the possibiltiies list. I might take give preference to the Alberg 35 over the Westsail 32 but I think they both balance out as really, really strong boats with somewhat serious flaws (Westsail = slowish/wet Alberg 35 = small inside and wet).

Both are contenders though.

I have an Alberg 35 and I don't think she's particularly wet. She does like to sail upwind on her side a bit. Yes, the cabin is small compared to Catalinas etc. There's just two of us; plenty of room for us.
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 20:42   #96

Boat: Tartan 40

You should look at Luders 33. Very solid sailor and a lot of space inside, for a classic 33 footer. Tons more space than alberg 30 and triton, and built like a tank. But like most similar designs heels easily initially, some roll downwind, and some hobbyhorsing in short chop

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 22:12   #97
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I read your initial post and the previous discussions.

Here is a boat in Florida (south) for $15K that looks clean. Check out the interior photos via link. This would leave you another $15K for upgrades of your choice. As always, Caveat Emptor. (and I have no connection to this boat)

Bowman 36 1977

36' Bowman Sailboat

As always, I have no connection to this boat. I am merely posting the photos and link to a boat I found that may fit the needs of the OP and to further the discussion of the topic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bowman 36 1977 $15K CL Miami.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	90678  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 22:38   #98
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is another boat that has potential for fitting within your budget (Under $30K) and over 30 feet in LOA. Notice this one has an almost new Yanmar engine.

Dufour 34
Blue water sailboat 5.6 draft. 1976 Dufour New yanmar 3ym30 diesel engine in 2012 with 70 hours, fridge, Force 2 burner stove, depth sounder,windlass.3 new batteries(1) engine (2) services 200 amps,sleep 6, battery charger, solar panel 75w, depth sounder. sails in good shape. Needs tlc, for sale 14.900 OBO can offer partial financing .

36' Bowman Sailboat

As always, I have no connection to this boat. I am merely posting the photos and link to a boat I found that may fit the needs of the OP and to further the discussion of the topic. This boat is located in South Florida (Fort Lauderdale).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dufour 34 $14K Miami.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	90679  
Old 31-10-2014, 22:54   #99
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is one more.

Endeavour 37 $19K or Best Offer Located in Ft. Lauderdale Florida
This boat's description says the engine or trans needs to be installed and may need some paint or TLC. But the price is only a fraction of your original budget and they must sell to pay a yard bill and will consider Best Offers. If you got this boat for $16K, that would leave you $14K for refit.

I know this type of boat is roomy (big cockpit) and comfortable as I sailed on a sister boat (same floor plan "A Plan") from Hawaii to San Francisco. It sailed well in rough weather (strong gale) and made it to Hawaii and back. The boats were built with nice teak interiors. You can find the "A Plan" layout on sailboatdata.com or view sisterships on other listing sites.

1981 ENDEAVOUR 37 CUTTER SLOOP A PLAN IN BOAT YARD SINCE 2/14 FOR REFIT.
TRANS REBUILT,GOOD PERKINS 50hp NEEDS INSTALL. PRIMED WITH AWLGRIP PRIMER NEW HOSES. LAST REFIT 2008 INCLUDED NEW STAINLESS BOW SPRIT, LIFE LINES, BIMINI DODGER.FULL BATTEN MAIN W/ MACKPACK.
SCHEAFER 2100 FURLING MAXWELL WINDLASS AND MUCH MORE. MUST SELL TO PAY YARD BILL. $19900. OBO

Sailboat for Sale 37 Endeavour A Plan

As before, I have no connection to this boat or seller. I am simply posting these photos and descriptions to further the discussion of what kinds of boats are available for under $30K and may fit the needs of the OP. Notice the three boats I posted are all located in South Florida near or in Miami.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Endeavour 37 1981 $19K.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	90680  
Old 01-11-2014, 03:07   #100

Thanks for the links.

There's a very nice condition Jason 35 that I know is well found. Would anyone cast aspersions on that? I hear they had some balance issues. Te guy who owns it is pretty persnickety and has used it a lot though, so I'm guessing whatever was the problem is resolved.

sully75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:26   #101

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Downeaster looks pretty damn good.

I have a really hard time with the looks of those clipper bow decorations but I guess I could love with it.

Anyone have any opinions about the alberg 35? Similar to my triton which I like a lot although lately I'm wondering about getting a boat with a longer waterline length. Overhangs are super pretty but maybe not as functional as I thought they were.

Alberg 35 I sailed was terrible directly down wind.

Quote:
I've heard the Mariahs are super slow?

...and you were looking at Westsail 32's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Allied Seabreeze.

I know a few previous owners who have moved up and said when it got really snotty that they wish they were in their Seabreeze.

What kind of budget do you have for upgrades/refitting? I ask because I think you're going to be extremely hard pressed to find a $30k 35' boat that is ocean ready. You're likely going to find tired examples of most of the boats mentioned. That said, people do get lucky, searching long and hard enough, and make an extraordinary find.
Yes...if you don't mind a little elbow grease, it's possible but unlikely a turn key.

Quote:
Not a speed demon. I'd like to be able to nail it to windward consistently in a chop, hopefully without the motor. I'm not sure what boat does that. Trying to do that this year in crappy conditions was really unpleasant and a bit scary. Might be the nature of the beast but that's something I'd like to be able to do better.

The triton is surprisingly fast in everything else. I can maintain 5 knots pretty easily in any kind of breeze as long as the waves aren't too bad. A chop kills though.

Sometimes the engine is nice to use. Most coastal cruisers are embarrassed to say how many hours they use their engine.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:11   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
You should look at Luders 33. Very solid sailor and a lot of space inside, for a classic 33 footer. Tons more space than alberg 30 and triton, and built like a tank. But like most similar designs heels easily initially, some roll downwind, and some hobbyhorsing in short chop

I sailed with friends who had one... very sweet sailing boat. Not many around I think though....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:13   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Here is another boat that has potential for fitting within your budget (Under $30K) and over 30 feet in LOA. Notice this one has an almost new Yanmar engine.

Dufour 34
Blue water sailboat 5.6 draft. 1976 Dufour New yanmar 3ym30 diesel engine in 2012 with 70 hours, fridge, Force 2 burner stove, depth sounder,windlass.3 new batteries(1) engine (2) services 200 amps,sleep 6, battery charger, solar panel 75w, depth sounder. sails in good shape. Needs tlc, for sale 14.900 OBO can offer partial financing .

36' Bowman Sailboat

As always, I have no connection to this boat. I am merely posting the photos and link to a boat I found that may fit the needs of the OP and to further the discussion of the topic. This boat is located in South Florida (Fort Lauderdale).
Also had friends who round the world in their Dufour 34. Great boat... these seem to fly under the radar and are not talked about much... Wow $15k with a new yanmar? Helluva deal....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:32   #104

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Also had friends who round the world in their Dufour 34. Great boat... these seem to fly under the radar and are not talked about much... Wow $15k with a new yanmar? Helluva deal....
Yes, when i bought my last boat (luders 33) in 2008 it had a new Yanmar 3YM30 with 72 hours. The bill for the repower was 10K and I bought the boat for 16. But the rest of boat around the engine needed quite a bit of cosmetic work...

malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:09   #105

Boat: a sailing boat

I am not sure if these were mentioned: Pearson 365 and Tartans 37/37-2. I think Pearson 365 could make a fine liveaboard cruiser while the Tartans could be less spacious but also sail a tad bit better.

I have seen the above at odd prices so I think maybe they can be had at below or close to 30k before mods.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising