Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2010, 11:35   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Best Boat Owner Days

They say a boater owner’s happiest days are when they buy a boat and sell a boat. So this is my second and third happiest days. Have traded-in my Cal-39 (the second happy day) for a new boat (the third happy day).

New boat is bigger of course, which is mainly about living space. In my research and limited boating experience I came to the conclusion that in the long run for cruising that living space and comfort outweigh performance (but I expect the new boat to be a pretty good performer). New boat is 4.5 feet longer overall and 1 foot wider and the extra space inside is just amazing!

Things I like about the new boat:
Topsides – no wood other than some aft rail seat slats and a piece on the hatchway. Wide open decks for going fore/aft. Huge cockpit with a walk though transom (never going to flood this baby). All lines lead aft. Lots of windows and opening ports (like 15). Cockpit is pushed out to the side rails really opening up the “party” area.

Sail plan – full battened full roach main with a fractional rig and 115% genny on roller for ease of handling while having lots of sail area. Asymmetrical spinnaker for the light wind days.

Aft cabin – Queen berth with good storage in lockers and below the berth. Don’t have to crawl into the berth feet or head first, which for an ageing fat man is going to be very well welcomed in the coming years. Good head room above the berth so not jammed in there (we called our aft cabin on the Cal the “Cave”). Entrance to the aft head on one side and entrance to galley on the other and stand-up walk though head room in the forward part of the cabin.

Galley – Separate freezer and refrigerator (has both top and side access). 3 burner stove. Double sinks, good counter space. Cabinets and lockers and a large storage space under the sole.

Engine – 50 HP Yanmar with only 528 hours. Has 350 degree access with out having to crawl down into a hole (wouldn’t have any excuse to not maintain the engine in a nice clean condition now).

Salon – Very open feeling and bright. “C” type seating on stbd with dining table that converts to a large double berth. Good settee on the other side with a flip up table. Does lose some lockers to get the space, but there is so much other storage locations I don’t think we will notice. Settees are going to make good sea berths once lee clothes added.

Forward cabin – Pullman double berth with drawers under. Hanging locker and drawers on the other side. May be too comfortable as I want guests, but don’t want them too long.

Forward head – up where the V-berth normally would be. Probably going to be the favorite place for showers as the aft head separate shower is smaller.

Tankage – 50 gal fuel (would have liked some more), 145 gal water, 45 gal holding (that’s a lot of poo).

Things I don’t like:
While I got a good price on the new and reasonable deal with the trade-in, it’s a lot of money that could have gone into the cruising kitty instead. But then the age of my Cal would probably have cost 1/3 of the extra boat price anyway in the near future.

I think this boat is going to be a comfortable boat to live on, cruise, and fun to sail for a couple not looking to always be sailing on the edge. Was a little concerned about the fairly light displacement for its size, but after reading lots of owner reviews no-one said it wasn’t comfort at sea. Normal “toys” will be/are installed as I’m not looking to be a boat camper. Not the perfect storm boat that gets talked about, but don’t plan to be crossing the big blue in the off season; and even if I get caught in the storm I’m sure the boat is going to hold up better than the crew during it.

And later next season I will post on what I think about the boats performance etc.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2001/Hunter-410-2275619/Newburyport/MA/United-States
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 00:55   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day Don,

Congratulations on your new love. Ann and I wish you joy of her. Fair winds and following seas and calm anchorages at the end of the voyage.

Cheers

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Towlers Bay, NSW, Oz
Old 24-12-2010, 01:03   #3

Don,

How could you be so irresponsible as to purchase a Hunter? It has no back stay, leaks like a sieve and will sink the minute you go more than 300 yards offshore.

You'll be comfortable instead of cramped. How could you sully your blue water, racing credentials by buying such a nice, comfortable, gorgeous boat?

Shame on you Mr Lucas! Shame! .... and I'm jealous as hell because I like Hunters myself.

(Well done - but don't let anyone know I said that.....)
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 01:53   #4

Boat: Building a Seaclipper 24
Congratulations

Hey Don,

Congratulations on the new boat. It looks great! I wish you many happy times on board.
Long days and pleasant nights,
Kevin
IceDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 02:57   #5

Don, seems you like it somewhat and, okay, it's got all the bells and whistles...but I still reckon you'd have been better off with a ferro.

Oops, trust this doesn't ignite another ferro boat brawl
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 05:19   #6
CLOD

"Boat: A steely, ferro, carvel, strip plank & a ply"

I would sure like to see a picture and learn more about this so maybe next time I can make a smarter decision.

and in case of wording issues - this post is just in fun
Old 24-12-2010, 05:47   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Nice looking boat Don... Congratulations... and here's to a Happy New Year on her..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 07:27   #8

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Congrats! May she serve you well!
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 09:00   #9

Boat: Beneteau 393
Whew! I guess all those "Do Hunters Really Suck" and Production/Custom threads actually paid off after all...

Enjoy the new boat- BIG difference from the Cal 39!

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 09:35   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
Whew! I guess all those "Do Hunters Really Suck" and Production/Custom threads actually paid off after all...

Enjoy the new boat- BIG difference from the Cal 39!

Frank
Whaddya mean.... I'm a former Hunter owner... and would again...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 09:39   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Excellent Don. She looks comfortable and beautiful. I'm looking forward to photos from the places she carries you!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 10:01   #12

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Whaddya mean.... I'm a former Hunter owner... and would again...
I meant what I said! All those "Hunter" threads and production vs custom threads Don started actually helped him in the end. Just a few threads that he started:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...eos-50837.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ats-42625.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oat-45329.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ers-42472.html

I never knock anyone's boat regardless of type, number of hulls, masts, hull type or anything else....it's like telling a guy his girlfriend is ugly (maybe worse)!

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 10:20   #13
CLOD

I think there were people thinking I was doing those Hunter threads for sport to cause trouble. When I was doing what they said, collecting info.
Old 24-12-2010, 10:50   #14

Boat: Cal 39, Karma
Congrats Don. Sadly, you are the only other Cal39 owner I knew. See ya out there someday..
jimking100 is offline   Reply With Quote