Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2011, 19:17   #31

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Another boatholic here? Now that there are the two of us ... ;-)))

Valiant, Southern Cross, PS, Vancouver, Pearson, Rival, Laurin, to name a few.

But none of them is above 35' except the Pearson (say the 365).

None of them for charter business.

For charter business Bavaria Holiday.

But not for sailing to Asia.

b.
b

What no Cal's on that list. Cal 28, 29, 34 or 36.

A
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 19:23   #32

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
I just noticed our OP has been back with a single follow-up post or question. One post and that's it. I think I'll stop wasting my time with these guys.
Old 17-02-2011, 19:30   #33

Boat: grampian 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocasdeltoro View Post
Hey everyone, I am new to these forums and need some advice for a future voyage. My dream has always been to sail around the world.I plan on setting sail in the winter of 2012 or early 2013.

I am still young and won't have too much money for my first boat, but I really need something seaworthy. I plan on sailing the caribbean and central and south america for the first year or two. I would really love to eventually cross the panama canal eventually, then sail up to california, make the cross to hawaii and hit up the pacific islands and asia. My Goal is to run a small business taking backpackers from one country to another, so a boat over 35' would be nice- if possible with my budget. Or do some type of surf, fishing, spearfishing cheap charters.

Part of the plan is to stay in south florida or the keys and live on the boat for some odd months, while fixing her up and getting her ready for the escapade.

Currently a budget of 15-25k would be ideal, but i think if it came down to it, then I could come up with 30-35(but only if it didnt need too much work).

I have spent a couple of hours a day for the last 2 years looking at sailboats. Problem is that I have not been on a forum asking questions.

If anyone can give me advice on the type of boat and length I should be looking at then that would be greatly appreciated. Any other comments or advice would also be sweet.

Thanks
What you propose to do is not out of the question. But you won,t be going tomorrow. You have a ways to go to get there but it sounds like you are taking the first step. Patience, perseverance and a willingness to learn will get you there. As for a boat ask around the marinas for boats that owners have sunk money into a partial refit and lost interest or become discouraged.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 20:28   #34

Boat: Beneteau/343
For those of you who have purchased a boat for under $35K in the past 5 years who have done what you consider to be serious bluewater sailing, I have a few questions:

How big is the boat/what kind is it?
How many people do you have on the boat typically while cruising?
How much money did you put into the boat to make it safe enough to cruise?
Conversely, how much time did you put into the boat to make it safe enough to cruise?
What kind of repairs did you have to make to be comfortable cruising?
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 23:14   #35

Boat: 1979 CC Chen Aries-32; Thomas Gilmer Design- Hull #23
Send a message via Skype™ to Ciabi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocasdeltoro View Post
Hey everyone, I am new to these forums and need some advice for a future voyage. My dream has always been to sail around the world.I plan on setting sail in the winter of 2012 or early 2013.

I am still young and won't have too much money for my first boat, but I really need something seaworthy. I plan on sailing the caribbean and central and south america for the first year or two. I would really love to eventually cross the panama canal eventually, then sail up to california, make the cross to hawaii and hit up the pacific islands and asia. My Goal is to run a small business taking backpackers from one country to another, so a boat over 35' would be nice- if possible with my budget. Or do some type of surf, fishing, spearfishing cheap charters.

Part of the plan is to stay in south florida or the keys and live on the boat for some odd months, while fixing her up and getting her ready for the escapade.

Currently a budget of 15-25k would be ideal, but i think if it came down to it, then I could come up with 30-35(but only if it didnt need too much work).

I have spent a couple of hours a day for the last 2 years looking at sailboats. Problem is that I have not been on a forum asking questions.

If anyone can give me advice on the type of boat and length I should be looking at then that would be greatly appreciated. Any other comments or advice would also be sweet.

Thanks
I agree with the comment about a Captain's ticket, but more to the point, my vote for the best all time budget blue-water cruiser is my Aries 32. A tad small for a group of backpackers, but if its just yourself and a friend, it can't be beat!
Ciabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 02:09   #36

Boat: Able 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I just noticed our OP has been back with a single follow-up post or question. One post and that's it. I think I'll stop wasting my time with these guys.
Goshdarnedit !

Has everybody been suckered by a time wasting dreamer AGAIN !

Dang ! ! !
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 09:17   #37

Boat: Aries 32
I'm not quite done and certainly not cruising yet, but here ya go anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromoregon View Post
For those of you who have purchased a boat for under $35K in the past 5 years who have done what you consider to be serious bluewater sailing, I have a few questions:

How big is the boat/what kind is it?

32' double ender, Aries 32.

How many people do you have on the boat typically while cruising?

3 and a dog. The dog is big and one of the people is very small.

How much money did you put into the boat to make it safe enough to cruise?

Safe? Couple thousand, perhaps. One seacock, some minor stuff in the rig, few hoses and clamps, maybe the electric bilge pumps could be attributed to safety. Suitable for cruising? Still spending - maybe $10K so far, but I'm trying very hard not to count.

Conversely, how much time did you put into the boat to make it safe enough to cruise?

I'll let you know when I'm done. 4 months, mostly of weekends, and counting. 87,000,000 hours of reading and asking and scribbling and comparing and hoping. Again, very little of that safety per se, but still things that we consider necessary.

What kind of repairs did you have to make to be comfortable cruising?

Lots. My boat has, as far as I can tell, never been outside the Bay, was minimally equipped (like no range/oven installed minimally), and had been more or less abandoned for 5 years. Everything major that existed worked, but also pretty much everything has some sort of problem that may or may not be fatal to that system.
Dustymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 09:40   #38

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromoregon View Post

under $35K in the past 5 years who have done what you consider to be serious bluewater sailing ...
>> How big is the boat/what kind is it?

26 LOA, 25 LWL, displ. 3k (metric, approx 6.6 imperial), SA 30 sq m (approx 330 sq ft), double-ender but undercut body (more Valiant than Westsail)

>> How many people do you have on the boat typically while cruising?

1 person plus her sea monster

>> How much money did you put into the boat to make it safe enough to cruise?

Nothing. The boat came safe enough to cruise.

>> Conversely, how much time did you put into the boat to make it safe enough to cruise?

About a week, including shopping.

>> What kind of repairs did you have to make to be comfortable cruising?

Added cockpit cushions, added bimini-like tent, added solar panel, added an inflatable.

(Except, twas more than five years ago - 2002/3.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 04:55   #39

Re: Best Bluewater Boat Under $35k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post

Still here and still working on the dream. Have had some personal issues going on, but am here to stay.

I just read throught the posts and appreciate everyones input. The transporting backpacker idea is not something set in stone either.

I am thinking its going to take two more years to set sail. I kind of wanted to go sooner, but I came to terms and realized I want to do this right. at minumum i think iam going to have 30k in the bank, which will be my spending money for food, gas,boat repairs etc....from there i will figure out how im going to make money. hopefully that will last me a good 18-24 months lol.

All in all I did look at all the boats everyone has mentioned and although the trip is far away, i really do appreciate any future advice on what kind of boat to get. i also just love looking at sailboats.So far me and my friend are dead set on doing this. Could possibly have one more best friend come along also...we'll see 2 years from now ha.

Thanks guys!
bocasdeltoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 18:02   #40

Hey if you want to watch something fun and inspiring here is a little documentary made by guy who spent very little and had a lot of fun sailing.

Hold Fast on Vimeo
NitroxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 19:39   #41

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Best hour I have ever spent that was great!
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 19:45   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Best hour I have ever spent that was great!
Its cool isn't it. I was hoping the guy who started the thread would watch it, and get inspired to just go do his project.
NitroxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 03:15   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxGirl View Post
Its cool isn't it. I was hoping the guy who started the thread would watch it, and get inspired to just go do his project.

absolutely loved the video nitrox. watched it again today. very inspiring and courageous. keep em comin!
bocasdeltoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 19:56   #44

The Pestilence and crew were great. I love those 3 sea wenches. Beautiful movie.
beowulfborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 07:20   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Goshdarnedit !

Has everybody been suckered by a time wasting dreamer AGAIN !

Dang ! ! !

I resemble that remark . but I do enjoy reading it all ,maybe someday I will have a blowboat too. been wanting a 35 40 ft. cat but then you have to save 3or 4 times as much.
Knots is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water