Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2011, 14:24   #1

Boat: talk me into it
Best Bareboat Charter in the BVI

Thanks all, I am looking for the best bare boat charter operator in BVI, charter quotes dont seem to vary much for a small boat mostly $2200 to $2500 a week. I am thinking two weeks for starters. I will have friends visiting at times, but will often be singlehanding, do they allow that? I am by no means an experienced sailor, but I think staying in the virgins I should be all right.

Thanks for your time and advice, Bill
Pilotethridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 14:44   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Best bareboat charter in BVI

There is no `best bare boat charter operator`. They all have good and some not so good points. Since this is your first trip you might concentrate on the first tier companies. There is a cruising tax and a tax for using the `free`mooring buoys at snorkel sites and the Baths. This tax is on each person on the boat, payable in advance, so you might run into a problem there with your guests. The charter companies are not used to chartering to singlehanders, don`t know what the policy there is. You might get more info from the companies themselves or from Travel Talk Online. Traveltalkonline: Viewing forum: British Virgin Islands
Old 13-10-2011, 16:57   #3

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Re: Best bareboat charter in BVI

Most companies in the BVI to not allow charters for single-handing. Since you indicate you are not an experienced sailor, you could have difficulties in things like picking up a mooring. This is even more difficult if the Christmas Winds are blowing and they seem to be in the 15+ area for some time already and when they get to 20 and 25.... an inexperienced sailor will be a danger not only to his boat but to everyone in the area. These mooring are generally very close to get more boats in and give no room for error.

I agree their is No Best Company... all depends on what your needs are and what inventory they have and how the boat is maintained and how your able to deal with typical problems found on boats in charter and boats in general.
Old 13-10-2011, 22:49   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: Best Bareboat Charter in the BVI

Like the rest, you need to define, "best". If money is no object, go with The Moorings. If you want a decent boat for a decent price and personal service that goes with a smaller but reputable company, try BVI Yacht Charters (BVI Yacht Charters, Tortola).
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 18:05   #5

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28
Re: Best Bareboat Charter in the BVI

I've chartered over the years with several of the BVI located companies and there is definitely a difference between them. When you charter for a "week" make sure they tell you exactly when you begin and end. You'll soon find that some "weeks" are really only 6 days. If you board in the AM, can you load your stuff (groceries, clothes, etc) aboard the night before? How long will the check out process be? Will you set sail at 10 am, noon or 2 pm? If you arrive the night before your charter begins can you stay nearby so you can board early? Cost? Overall, I found Horizon to be the best charter in the BVI. I recommend that you check them out.
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, charter, bvi, British Virgin Islands