Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2014, 18:42   #16

Boat: Swan 432
Re: Best 55ish Foot Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
The 53 from the 80's was a better boat. Here's a nice looking one with plenty of upgrades, teak in particular. Different price bracket though.

1989 Nautor Swan 53 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Thread over. Get this boat over to Jamestown and have them go over it, tell them you want a new boat. That should leave you with a little bit of $$$ leftover.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 19:00   #17

Boat: Able 50

It does seem to have received plenty of TLC. The deck should be good for another 15 years.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 19:32   #18

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
Thread over. Get this boat over to Jamestown and have them go over it, tell them you want a new boat. That should leave you with a little bit of $$$ leftover.
I don't think the Swan being discussed is even in the ballpark. If you plan to spend $1M on a boat, why buy one that's 25 years old? It's a high quality boat but the design is very dated and it's just sort of old. Plus, if you plan to do any sailing in rainy or cold weather (offshore delivery), not having a dodger makes it into pure misery. A boat like this makes a splash at the regatta but where do you stand watch in bad weather? I did a delivery from Bermuda to Maine on a boat very similar to this just after the Newport/Bermuda race with just a bimini over the aft cockpit and even in pretty nice weather, you just couldn't avoid getting chilled to the bone by the time your nighttime watch was over, never again in a boat without at least a dodger to hide behind. Also, with no direct access from the cockpit to below, you are isolated from each other much more than on most other boats so it's a much bigger production than should be necessary to do something as simple as talking to or passing a sandwich or cup of coffee up to someone in the cockpit. If I had a million dollars to spend on a 55ish' boat, I wouldn't even consider anything more than about 10 years old. An Oyster or a Chuck Paine designed Morris would be at the top of my list.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 21:24   #19

Boat: Hylas 54

We absolutely love our Hylas 54 - 2003. We sail in the Great Lakes with plans for the Carib and maybe further. She's comfortable, very strong and fast.
Old 24-09-2014, 22:45   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesscapade View Post
We absolutely love our Hylas 54 - 2003. We sail in the Great Lakes with plans for the Carib and maybe further. She's comfortable, very strong and fast.
Hylas 54 are amazing
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 23:11   #21

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

I'd also look at boats like the Hinkley 57 centerboard and Little Harbor 58 centerboard. Lots of good choices besides Swan.

Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 02:03   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
I don't think the Swan being discussed is even in the ballpark. If you plan to spend $1M on a boat, why buy one that's 25 years old? It's a high quality boat but the design is very dated and it's just sort of old. Plus, if you plan to do any sailing in rainy or cold weather (offshore delivery), not having a dodger makes it into pure misery. A boat like this makes a splash at the regatta but where do you stand watch in bad weather? I did a delivery from Bermuda to Maine on a boat very similar to this just after the Newport/Bermuda race with just a bimini over the aft cockpit and even in pretty nice weather, you just couldn't avoid getting chilled to the bone by the time your nighttime watch was over, never again in a boat without at least a dodger to hide behind. Also, with no direct access from the cockpit to below, you are isolated from each other much more than on most other boats so it's a much bigger production than should be necessary to do something as simple as talking to or passing a sandwich or cup of coffee up to someone in the cockpit. If I had a million dollars to spend on a 55ish' boat, I wouldn't even consider anything more than about 10 years old. An Oyster or a Chuck Paine designed Morris would be at the top of my list.

No dodger ? Huh ?

There are two dodgers and a bimini.
Old 25-09-2014, 09:45   #23

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
No dodger ? Huh ?

There are two dodgers and a bimini.
Where? In the listing I see a little spray hood over the companionway that they call a dodger in the listing but that's certainly not a comfortable place to stand watch or sit for long periods of time. Though a cockpit dodger is mentioned in the listing details, I see a bimini over the aft cockpit, in one photo it's stowed, around the front part of the cockpit and in another photo its set up, but there's no sign of a real dodger that would protect you from blowing spray and bad weather back there. Maybe it does also have a minimalist dodger in the aft cockpit but I see no sign of it in the listing photo's. Do you? Also, even if there is a dodger back there, it doesn't allow direct access to warmth or food or information from below so you still have to leave the cockpit to get any of those things. I've done overnight offshore deliveries in boats ranging from 35' to (including an Able Apogee 50 like yours) the 70' footer that I helped deliver back from Bermuda that was set up just like this this Swan, and it was the most uncomfortable I've ever been on a delivery. Some people must like this setup but I'd immediately put it back up for sale if you gave it to me! I certainly wouldn't consider paying anything close to a million dollars for it (neither would anyone else) and that's what this thread is about.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 10:52   #24

Quote:
Where? In the listing I see a little spray hood over the companionway that they call a dodger in the listing but that's certainly not a comfortable place to stand watch or sit for long periods of time. Though a cockpit dodger is mentioned in the listing details, I see a bimini over the aft cockpit, in one photo it's stowed, around the front part of the cockpit and in another photo its set up, but there's no sign of a real dodger that would protect you from blowing spray and bad weather back there. Maybe it does also have a minimalist dodger in the aft cockpit but I see no sign of it in the listing photo's. Do you? Also, even if there is a dodger back there, it doesn't allow direct access to warmth or food or information from below so you still have to leave the cockpit to get any of those things. I've done overnight offshore deliveries in boats ranging from 35' to (including an Able Apogee 50 like yours) the 70' footer that I helped deliver back from Bermuda that was set up just like this this Swan, and it was the most uncomfortable I've ever been on a delivery. Some people must like this setup but I'd immediately put it back up for sale if you gave it to me! I certainly wouldn't consider paying anything close to a million dollars for it (neither would anyone else) and that's what this thread is about.

Wow ! You sure have it in for the old Swans.

There is a dodger on the boat and it is in this pic. You are right that there are no images of it in the erected position.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4738671_20140622092356270_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	88775

The dodger is right at the bottom of the photo and the bimini is right at the top. Both are folded. I don't know what the dodger looks like but it fits the same coaming as this one which can fit 4 people underneath.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4767928_20140724101738294_3_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	88776
Old 25-09-2014, 11:03   #25

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Quote:
Wow ! You sure have it in for the old Swans.

There is a dodger on the boat and it is in this pic. You are right that there are no images of it in the erected position.

Attachment 88775

The dodger is right at the bottom of the photo and the bimini is right at the top. Both are folded. I don't know what the dodger looks like but it fits the same coaming as this one which can fit 4 people underneath.

Attachment 88776
Yes, but it strikes me as an odd set-up for watch-keeping. In inclement weather one may wish to alternate between the cabin and the cockpit It appears one cannot do that on this boat without being exposed to the weather.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 11:13   #26
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
If you plan to spend $1M on a boat, why buy one that's 25 years old?
: thumb:
Old 25-09-2014, 11:43   #27
vjm

For that price, I would look into a custom design and build. Most of these boats are created to function much more as long distance cruisers. That isn't what you are looking for, and I think some of the compromises made to hew to that design brief would run counter to your needs and wants.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 11:58   #28

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I will chime in on some multis and some of these used versions are way under $1 mill and with lots more space.
Catana 471, 50, 521, 582
Outremer, 49, 50, 55
Lagoon 440, 450, 470, 50, 55, 57
And much more

All of these boats cross oceans regularly.

Remember that cats have around 30 to 50% more interior space than the same length mono.

For your budget I would consider everything.
Old 25-09-2014, 12:02   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjm View Post
For that price, I would look into a custom design and build. Most of these boats are created to function much more as long distance cruisers. That isn't what you are looking for, and I think some of the compromises made to hew to that design brief would run counter to your needs and wants.
A custom 55 footer ready to sail away would cost in the $2 - 3m bracket.
Old 25-09-2014, 12:05   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

If your not fixed on a monohull, You might want to look at one of these.....
I fell in love with it

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote