Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 08:35   #16

Re: Best 35-40 footer for a couple going anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonG115 View Post
Letsgetsailing3,

I'm asking for opinions sure, but this is nothing like asking what you're favorite color is. I've given financial, size, functional, etc. parameters. Then of course there is the why. I'm seeking the why, not just another list of boats.

Jon
In that case, you'd do better to ask about features, rather than providing a list of name brands.

This is a lot like going to auto forum and asking about: Porsche, Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, etc.

There are tradeoffs with each of these makes, even if you list the specific models. It's a waste of your time. The better way to approach this is to figure out the features that YOU value, rank their relative importance, and look at some boats. It's like picking out a girlfriend.

Here you can get opinions that are partially based on experience, partially based on preference, partially based on random chance. I know it SEEMS like people can steer you in the right direction, but even if you find a boat that matches very specific criteria, you might find a different one that makes your heart skip a beat. There might be something about a specific boat that makes you want that one.

So don't take it the wrong way, but you really are asking the community here about what you prefer. There are lots of preferences displayed in boat searches, and lots of the opinions expressed here are based on hearsay, or on what other people think they want.

Don't take it the wrong way. Give it some thought, and see if it makes sense.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:41   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Neely View Post
Rafiki 37, Slocum 37, Hans christian 33 and 38, Mason 43 to name a few others that are worth a look
My unbiased opinion: Get a Rafiki-37 if you can find one .

To be slightly more serious, of the boats I know something about on your list, I'd say most of them meet your stated criteria. I assume not all are easily available to you, so why not zero in on the few you can get on board yourself. That might help you refine your own list. Once you know more about what you're looking for, you'll then be able to get more useful info from the collective here.

BTW, I'm happy to try and answer any question about the Rafiki-37.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:25   #18

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

I'll ask again, have you been on any one of those boats you listed?
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:13   #19

Since you asked Given your stated criteria, and assuming you are not crusing in areas where draft is an issue, my 2 cents on the boats I am familiar with:

Valiant 40 - ideal for your needs. Texas built boats are really well built but probably out of your price range.

Pacific Seacraft 40 - out of your price range

Island Packet 37 - to ugly

Passport 40 - ideal for your needs. Would be my first choice given your criteria.

Contessa 32 - too small. way too small.

Baba 40 - too much wood. Too much keel.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:23   #20
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

PSC 37?
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:38   #21
Marine Service Provider

I agree with many of the other respondents that your parameters are way too broad and you are likely to get a whole lot of our opinions (including one respondent who curiously said he offered an "unbiased opinion") but you've given a list and probably all those boats will give you what you appear (I stress appear) to desire. But what is important, at least in my highly biased opinion is pretty simple: Which one looks nice and feels nice to sail and simply to be aboard? Probably they all fit that description. So let's create a list of factors or specifics, eg rig? air draft? displacement, water draft (very important!), stability rating (also another factor referred to as comfort rating if I recall correctly), keel and rudder configration--is the prop in an aperture? Is the rudder hung on a skeg or the keel? Is there an anchor locker or simply a hawsepipe forward? Will the boom be in your way in the cockpit or is the boom too high to properly furl the main? Or if you modify the main it may not matter. I suggest you don't get too hung up on the manufacturer--all those boats are nice--some are really nice in fact--and there are many more as well. I've been aboard some of them and just as an example--the Tartan 37 (an S and S design and built over many years) differs a bit from year to year so which model?? And while I like the Tartan 37, I will say that the head is tiny and getting in and out of it is tight! But where will you be sailing? What's important to you? Is a large cockpit roomy enough to sleep in important or are two heads? A quarter berth? Lots of teak and holly or a glass sole? A Yanmar or a Volvo or whatever? Also, as you get into this size and price range as opposed to 30 footers under 50k, you will likely need to travel to see and eventually purchase such a boat, so you may wish to use geography to narrow your choices as it will cost in time and money to get this boat to your desired location...so there are many factors to consider but it comes down to look and feel. You cannot change the keel but with enough money you can modify the rig, sail plan, interior etc--but only with lots of money and or time. So weight, draft, freeboard, mast height etc etc...and cockpit--that's the key...and hopefully most sailing time is spent in the cockpit. If that is not the case, it means you wont be sailing much, so buy a condo or a motor home. So please tell us what's comfortable for you? Perhaps we respondents can be of more help. Thank you.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:43   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
including one respondent who curiously said he offered an "unbiased opinion"
That is what you call Irony. That is what the after he said it was meant to indicate.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 13:10   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Best 35-40 footer for a couple going anywhere.

Some of the boats you have mentioned are way more maintenance than others. Most gorgeous boat I have looked at so far in my search was a 40 Baba which you have listed. I'd love to have that boat, and I could afford to purchase it too, as you coud. But in my opinion maintaining that boats teak alone is about twice the number of man hours I'm ready to put into a boat, stunning boat, just need a full time maintenance person in the crew.
I'm looking at an Island Packet myself, and even it has more wood than I want, but nothing like the Baba

You know they say you'll know when you have found the right boat when you first see her? Well I lust after this one, but just like a beautiful model or something, I know she is way above my pay grade
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1990.../United-States
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 13:12   #24
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

I want as little wood on my next boat as possible. Besides the maintenance, the darkness of it all is too gloomy for me to live in everyday, and difficult to see.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 13:19   #25

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

a64, my thoughts exactly. I looked at that boat as well. Nicest Baba I've ever seen, ever.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 13:20   #26
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

the westsail 43 is a beautiful cruiser (if you can even find one) but it may be too much for a couple.
Old 08-03-2014, 17:54   #27

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonG115 View Post
I want a capable, safe, well built boat under 200k that can be sailed by a couple or in a pinch single handed. I don’t care if it is still in production. I care less about speed or maneuverability and more about safety and stability. Comfort over style. Prefer reliability and low maintenance costs to exclusivity or teak decks. Tough as nails. Proven design. Storage for a few people on a long journey over space for many people on a quick excursion.
I know this is a monohull forum, but all the requirements you list above perfectly fit the Gemini 105mc catamaran.

Correct price range, very stable, very safe, proven design (more have been built than any other catamaran). Something to think about anyway.

They are also narrow enough to fit into a standard monohull sized slip.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 18:18   #28

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

You may have it backwards. First pick your anchor, then your SSB antenna system, then whether you should carry a firearm. When done, chose a boat that can carry all your stuff.

Seriously, the other posters gave you good advice. I would look at a boat under $100k, and put $50-75k into new equipment/solar/sails/rigging/etc.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 20:28   #29
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

I loved my S&S34. She was a great boat went upwind like a beast. Well built and obviously well designed. Quite beautiful as well. Pretty tight down below for more than a few.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 20:44   #30

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
We crossed off Island packets because we did not want the sluggish qualities of the full keel. The high placement of the cement ballast does not instill confidence. If we were choosing a boat just for coastal stuff and/or livea-board then IP would be our 1st choice.

After reading Nigel Calders Cruising Handbook and looking at a 37 and 40, we put PSC 40/44's at the top of our list. Have not sailed one yet but that is the next step. The price for these (40/44) starts at $229K so they are over your budget.
The PHRF info I have indicates that IP380 rated 123 and the PS42 rated 129. Whatever the effects of the full keel were on performance they were vastly outweighed by other factors such as sail area. These were the two models I could find closest to what you and the OP listed.

Safety considerations are a different matter. Where did you learn IP was using concrete for ballast?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote