Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2013, 15:01   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Best 30 -40' daysailer/cruising for singlehanding

I am looking for a boat in this size range that is really easy to sail by myself with other people on board (and of course solo.)

I know that sounds like it doesn't make sense, but my significant other isn't much into sailing, when she is with me, she doesn't do much, and if I have non sailing friends out, they can't do much either. And since I like to sail, I often daysail myself.

I am looking for the best layout that allows me to sail the boat with others who always seem to be exactly where you don't want them when you need to be there;-)

Ideally I can control everything from the helm, steer, main, genoa, and also be able to put boat on auto pilot and move foward.

I have had a beneteau 373, great cabin, terrible sailing. Also, having mainsheet on cabin top makes it hard to get to. I have also had hunter 33, having mainsheet by me and small jib on hunters is better than beneteua, but turns out travaller lines of arch hang down right in the way of the jib winch, engine start control is right where someone always sits etc.

Was thinking about going down to 30' range until someone said go bigger to 40', dual wheels, and bow thruster, etc.

I know there is no perfect boat, but am interested in the collective advice here.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 15:12   #2

Boat: islandpacket
AUTO PILOT!
Old 29-08-2013, 15:56   #3

Boat: Freedom 28 Cat Ketch
Re: Best 30 -40' daysailer/cruising for singlehanding

Pick # 1
Nonsuch 30
Pick # 2
Freedom 36
CrazyRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 16:47   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

You know what you want. Look for a boat that either meets your criteris for ease of handling or can be easily modified to meet your needs. In short, almost any boat will meet your specs. if set up properly.

A self steering vane conected to a tiller makes almost any boat a great single handed vessel.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 17:09   #5

Sounds like you know what your hot buttons are and just need to look at some boats. Get a good autopilot. My wife loved to sail, but most the time, I was singlehanding or she was... just the way it works out alot. I like the Freedom suggestion, but If the Bene wasnt a good enough sailor for you the Freedom likely wont either. Get a flat out racer for the fun of it! Choate, Capri, J boat etc.... A Capri 30 will be passing 40 footers on there on the bay!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 03:02   #6

Boat: Baltic 38DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
A self steering vane conected to a tiller makes almost any boat a great single handed vessel.
For day sails, where you hardly ever do tacks longer than say 10 miles (and mostly much shorter than that), I would suggest that a self steering vane is more of a nuisance than a help. Plus - if you sail with the other half who is not into sailing, the likelihood is that you sail in moderate to light winds, in which the self steering vane is not very effective. An autopilot makes a lot more sense to me.

Onno
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 03:17   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 54DS
Check out the pogo 12.50. I think they are now sold in the US. Pogostructure.com.
Phoenician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 03:33   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Navegante1105

Hi: my experience is with Beneteau Oceanis 393(single wheel) and now, Oceanis 40 deck saloon (dual wheel). Normally, I do single sailing although I sail with my partner, and for Me, theses boats are great. Of course, it is a big advantage to have autopilot, because You can engage the autopilot when You have any problem on the deck and need to go there. For the rest, all maneuvers are redirected to the helm, so it is very easy to ride. These boats are also very well distributed and You have enough space for living if you have children.
Regards, Agustín.
Navegante1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 04:34   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post

For day sails, where you hardly ever do tacks longer than say 10 miles (and mostly much shorter than that), I would suggest that a self steering vane is more of a nuisance than a help. Plus - if you sail with the other half who is not into sailing, the likelihood is that you sail in moderate to light winds, in which the self steering vane is not very effective. An autopilot makes a lot more sense to me.

Onno
Hmmmmm, with a young family, I often find myself single handing my tartan 41. I have autopilot PLUS windvane and find them invaluable. For example, I'll use the windvane with the MOTOR to keep me perfectly in the wind while I raise the mainsail.

There are several ways of combining them to do tasks that would normally take a couple of people.
Old 30-08-2013, 06:04   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

This boat.

Pre-Owned - Morris Yachts
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 07:06   #11

Boat: Hanse 348

AGree on the Morris, but for that price, I can get a regular boat and a captain do everything for a few years.

Windvane is a non starter. I am sailing during daylight, autopilot is fine.

373 was a good boat on paper, horrible to sail. Tremendous weather helm, too much sail area for 15-20kts (great in 6-8, but in those winds i motor), rudder too short. Forums are full of why everyone who had one was dissappointed. 393 much better.

Was thinking more of cockpit layout as well. Hunter was able to double end mainsheet and bring it back to arch. However, a bit difficult to get to genoa winches, when people are there.

Morris, Aeleron are good day sailers, but not so great for wife. Maybe I need to look into a J boat, 30-35'? I notice many have the mainsheet back at the helm. Small jib, so easy to tack.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 07:40   #12

Boat: Baltic 38DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
There are several ways of combining them to do tasks that would normally take a couple of people.
Not sure I follow you here - how many people does it take to steer a boat? And combining a windvane WITH an autopilot makes both of them work against each other. Honestly can't see a logical reason to do that, and the manufacturers of MONITOR windvanes strongly oppose it on their website.

I use the autopilot to keep the boat in the wind, just the press of a button. Works well enough and certainly doesn't warrant the investment of many thousands to get a windvane. I really want a windvane for future long trips, but so far I have had zero use for one as my trips have been short.

To summarise - I don't see a windvane as essential kit for a singlehanded sailor who doesn't make overnight trips.

Onno
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 07:47   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
AGree on the Morris, but for that price, I can get a regular boat and a captain do everything for a few years.
But you didn't ask for the cheapest, you said best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Morris, Aeleron are good day sailers, but not so great for wife. Maybe I need to look into a J boat, 30-35'? I notice many have the mainsheet back at the helm. Small jib, so easy to tack.
On the Morris daysailer version it comes standard with self tacking jib and I believe self tailing winches and I guarantee the life will love the interior, but probably not the price (unless you just won the lottery).
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 07:51   #14

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Best Boats Nominees 2008 | Sail Magazine
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 07:58   #15

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
With kids and guests I'd throw some lifelines on her.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, paracelle, sail, single, singlehanding