Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2010, 12:11   #1

Boat: Custom
Beneteau vs Everything Else

I don't want to start a "production boats can't do it thread"

It seems to me that a lot more Beneteaus are making there way on long cruises than virtually any other mainstream production boat.

Perhaps I am wrong, but why is that when they all appear so similar?

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 12:17   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Beneteau's laughing all the way to the bank. I think their success is due to giving their customers what they want.
Old 26-11-2010, 12:39   #3

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Beneteau has always been on the edge, when something new was designed, they had it on the FIRSTs befor it entered the market. those that built gear knew this and would supply Beneteau with the first-off equeptment.. It was a trial and break it type of idea..
Much like GoodYear providing tires for Nascar..
The new Hull designs of the early 80s with vacume suction on the mold and the web design of the interior sub support gave Beneteau the upper edge in racing..
They had found a way to make a much stronger boat with less material..
and it was proven in the FIRST designs...
It was then easy to move these designs into the other models without redesigning the idea.. The first is not only they're race model, its a testing field for newer designs.. something your average production boat builder like Catalina or Hunter cant provide....
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 12:40   #4

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
My theory is that because they are a blingy production boat with all the bells and whistles their prudent owners take a bit more care and make good use of all those instruments. To date the keels have also had a habit of staying attached to the boat. On the other hand, give them a few years when average folk can buy their run down hulls for next to nothing and do what they want with them, I am sure you will see a lot more sinking? Till this happens and we can get some real crash test dummy feedback we are just going to have to accept that they float, look shiny and keep their current owners happy?
Old 26-11-2010, 12:48   #5
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
How about this>

Nope...uhhuh not for me...when hell freezes over. Will sink in a heartbeat!

Whats that? You want to give me your Bennie boat?

Suuuuuuure I'll take it. I always wanted a Beneteau! They're great boats!!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 12:52   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
On the other hand, give them a few years when average folk can buy their run down hulls for next to nothing and do what they want with them, I am sure you will see a lot more sinking? Till this happens and we can get some real crash test dummy feedback we are just going to have to accept that they float, look shiny and keep their current owners happy?
How many years do you need? Lots of 30 year old Beneteaus floating around.
Old 26-11-2010, 12:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
On the other hand, give them a few years when average folk can buy their run down hulls for next to nothing and do what they want with them, I am sure you will see a lot more sinking? Till this happens and we can get some real crash test dummy feedback we are just going to have to accept that they float, look shiny and keep their current owners happy?
This could be, but if history shows the proff, not sure if the beneteau is the the boat you want to set around waiting for..
Just checked the sales of the Beneteau FIRST 42.. Mine is an 1983 and still sells in the range between 70 and 110 thousand.. not bad for a 28 year old boat.. and keels falling of.. not likely.. Think I counted 16 - 3/4 inch bolts holding that pig-iron on.....
Dont think I'd wait around for 30 years to go cruising just to see if the keel on a 2010 would fall off........
Old 26-11-2010, 12:58   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Hi Shane.... I've had 2 Bendi's... the first was an 87 Oceanis 321 which I bought in 2000 in St Martin from a French guy...
The day of the 'test sail' he came in to pick me up... "hang on a minute" he said... "I had some friends on board at the weekend and she needs a quick clean.."
He then proceeded to run a hose on board... hosed down the decks then went below and hosed that down as well... I was gob smacked....
Anyway.. we had a great day out with Pasta & wine for lunch and I bought her... the price of $25K was just to good to turn down.. and I liked what I saw...
She carried me on my first solo Trans-Atlantic... non stop to the UK...
Not bad for a beat up 13yr old boat...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 13:04   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
How about this>

Nope...uhhuh not for me...when hell freezes over. Will sink in a heartbeat!
Salty,
nobodys trying to change your mind.. and you'd probably be happier with something else anyway.
It takes a different type of person to spend the bucks we do to buy a boat everyone says crap about..
But for those of us that have done so, seem to be happy with the decision.. I spent 100k on mine 7 years ago and another 50 to 75k bringing it into cruising mode... and I'd do it again in a minute..
Not because I have the money but because I love the boat, the way it sails, its speed, agility, ease of handling, and did I say speed.. oh yes, and the speed...
Old 26-11-2010, 13:09   #10
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Wow Randy thats a lot of money for upping! But I guess yours is a big boat and thats over a period of time.

List...
Oceanis 331 - 2001
Oceanis 321 - 87
Beneteau 35 - <=1986

Id also add the 38 and the 40.5. 38 would be nice.

who can pass by a nice nav station?

Yes, OK, I am addicted to speed. Didn't really realize it in myself, till I looked at a lot of my history and the sailing I liked best.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 14:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
How many years do you need? Lots of 30 year old Beneteaus floating around.
What happened to them? All the ones I have seen are fairly late models. Maybe there is no Benateau broker’s in my vicinity or they only started importing them over the last decade? I suppose the opposite side of the coin might be that they sank? Then again, if they were that far ahead of their time some of the boats I have been seeing might be 20 yrs old?
Old 26-11-2010, 15:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
This could be, but if history shows the proff, not sure if the beneteau is the the boat you want to set around waiting for..
Just checked the sales of the Beneteau FIRST 42.. Mine is an 1983 and still sells in the range between 70 and 110 thousand.. not bad for a 28 year old boat.. and keels falling of.. not likely.. Think I counted 16 - 3/4 inch bolts holding that pig-iron on.....
Dont think I'd wait around for 30 years to go cruising just to see if the keel on a 2010 would fall off........
Now that price range supports my argument that they are prudent owners with decent navigational instruments? Wait till they get around the 20 k mark!

As above, I haven’t heard of any of their keels falling off – I am sure that was another similar boat? However I can recall one Benateau owner on another forum whose signature said something about he’s wobbling a bit.
Old 26-11-2010, 15:06   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hi Shane.... I've had 2 Bendi's... the first was an 87 Oceanis 321 which I bought in 2000 in St Martin from a French guy...
The day of the 'test sail' he came in to pick me up... "hang on a minute" he said... "I had some friends on board at the weekend and she needs a quick clean.."
He then proceeded to run a hose on board... hosed down the decks then went below and hosed that down as well... I was gob smacked....
Anyway.. we had a great day out with Pasta & wine for lunch and I bought her... the price of $25K was just to good to turn down.. and I liked what I saw...
She carried me on my first solo Trans-Atlantic... non stop to the UK...
Not bad for a beat up 13yr old boat...
Don’t get me wrong, if someone gave me one to sail around a tropical paradise that had one of those big scoop diving platforms on the back I would gladly accept their kind offer. Like most of these boats owners I would be out polishing the fibreglass and stainless so I could get myself a hot swimsuit model to hang on the stern half naked while I procured a lobster for dinner! Maybe it is about time I spoilt myself?

(Maybe this is where I go looking through my photo albums to see if I have any sly swimwear shots of Jennifer Hawkins back from the Fanny’s nightclub modelling comp days that I could add to the post?)
Old 26-11-2010, 15:10   #14

Well that wasn’t too bad; I was really expecting a lot less objective responses. Underlying my sarcasm there is a serious comment about how well maintained these boats generally are. Obviously their owners have a bit of pride in the boats and are satisfied with their purchase?
Old 26-11-2010, 15:36   #15

Boat: deboated
The Keels falling off usually comes from our Multihull sailers trying to justify the big bucks they just paid to keep there wives happy
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau