Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2015, 05:27   #76

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Beneteau Sense vs a Cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissMocha View Post
It's true, no constant. However, last year when I cruised in Greece, I had two rocky nights in two weeks. Do I remember the quiet nights? No sir

For the roll, I have not so much experience myself. But here is a Youtube link I found on the Website of Bobby Schenk.

But everything is a compromise and the mono people will tell us, that a multihull will slap, which might for some be more annoying than the rolling...

Apart from aesthetics, the choice for me depends very much on the intended use. And this is really the core of the issue. Right now I charter for vacation use and the choice for that is usually monos, because it's much cheaper and it's about sailing.

When I'm done working I plan to buy a boat and go cruising. And when I'm cruising and living aboard it's not so much about sailing and/or how the boat looks, but much more about staying at anchorages or in marinas and how comfortable I am doing so. Okey, it's still about looks and in the end, it's all purely emotional
There is no doubt that downwind in what regards roll a cat rolls less. Modern beamy boats with all beam brought back (like the Sense) do a lot better then the monohulls on that movie even if not as well as a cat. But the movie only shows downwind sailing and upwind is not only a question of the water slapping on the hulls but also having two hulls hitting the same wave at slightly different times.

I agree that is a question of personal taste and therefore this thread has not much sense. Since the OP talks about a comparison value for money stability and comfort he only have to charter for a week or so Beneteau Sense and a cat with about the same price, for instance a Lagoon 39 and a Beneteau Sense 46, that cost about the same and take his own conclusions.

Bobby Schenkn is a good example in what regards preferences and knowledge: He sailed many time a monohull, changed for a multihull, sailed it extensively and changed again his preferences for a monohull. I bet he sees advantages and disadvantages in each design.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 19:20   #77

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Beneteau Sense vs a Cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
...Bobby Schenkn is a good example in what regards preferences and knowledge: He sailed many time a monohull, changed for a multihull, sailed it extensively and changed again his preferences for a monohull. I bet he sees advantages and disadvantages in each design.

Where can we find more about views of Bobby Schenkn in English? Always get many insights from your posts Paulo, thanks.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau