Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 09:11   #136
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2
Re: Beneteau Sense Quality Issues

I've owned both French built and American built Beneteaus and have seen the difference in woodworking; the American boat being inferior. The explanation we got was that the American factory put the wood together from kits the French sent to them and, of course, they sent 'reject' pieces that they wouldn't put in the French boats. Don't know if that's true, but it looked like it could have been. Our dealer made all of the visible problems right by some after the fact woodworking but bad on Beneteau for even allowing a difference.
__________________

__________________
PeglegLeVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:22   #137
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: Beneteau Sense Quality Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wixom View Post
I've owned both French built and American built Beneteaus and have seen the difference in woodworking; the American boat being inferior. The explanation we got was that the American factory put the wood together from kits the French sent to them and, of course, they sent 'reject' pieces that they wouldn't put in the French boats. Don't know if that's true, but it looked like it could have been. Our dealer made all of the visible problems right by some after the fact woodworking but bad on Beneteau for even allowing a difference.

Mate, where you ear such ridiculous thing, french wood kits send it to american builders?? if for something American builders are recognized is for the use of real wood in their constructions , aka Teak in many instances, i dont say Bene dont use teak or other woods, but this days production boats dont got to much real wood in their furnitures, many are considered Ikea interiors, meaning composite laminates in some cases imitating wood, or not wood at all except Ply bulkheads with a thin teak laminate, even cabin soles this days are made it from plastic laminates, maintenace 0...

You cant expect in a Bavaria or Hanse lots of teaks or wood for the simple reason Teak is expensive, and dont make any sense... even some american builders use Laminates or litle teak or other woods in their construction, and even some french builders use lots of teak in their models, take a look at some Jeaneaus, teak decks, teack cockpits ...

And to be honest Americans can got better prices for Teak and other exotic woods, i guess.... and French builders cut their wood paterns to fit in a expecific model, cant imagine a Bene rejected Bulkhead fited in a Hunter Lol... but just saying....
__________________

__________________
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:53   #138
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Port Ludlow Wa
Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Posts: 1,975
Re: Beneteau Sense Quality Issues

Do you think you generate a thread of this magnitude about Hunters? Bennies are more than half the fleet in my marina. There are only a few of us with wood boats. Furthermore the Bennies are all used more often than all of the rest. That says something.

Todd
__________________
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:01   #139
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: Beneteau Sense Quality Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Do you think you generate a thread of this magnitude about Hunters? Bennies are more than half the fleet in my marina. There are only a few of us with wood boats. Furthermore the Bennies are all used more often than all of the rest. That says something.

Todd
Dont know exactly what is your point?? i point a example between a french builder and a american one based in Kevin post, and is about wood in their constrcutions, now pls enlighten us with a solid link about French builders sending rejected or bad wood to American builders...

In your marina, your right, now cut the dock lines and see by yourself other places, Benes used more than the rest of the fleet? you mean charter? yeah i agree....
__________________
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:16   #140
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Halifax
Posts: 435
Re: Beneteau Sense Quality Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Dont know exactly what is your point?? i point a example between a french builder and a american one based in Kevin post, and is about wood in their constrcutions, now pls enlighten us with a solid link about French builders sending rejected or bad wood to American builders...

In your marina, your right, now cut the dock lines and see by yourself other places, Benes used more than the rest of the fleet? you mean charter? yeah i agree....
The Beneteaus made in France will have the same dimensions (hopefully!) as those made in the Carolina's so it could certainly stand to reason that the wood composites with a teak veneer that they use in Bene's would be cut by the high falutin' computerized machine that they are quite proud of in France and then shipped to the US for assembly. I'm not saying they do it, I'm saying it's easily within the realm of possibility. Kind of like the way they built Airbus's.
__________________
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:27   #141
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: Beneteau Sense Quality Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob2 View Post
The Beneteaus made in France will have the same dimensions (hopefully!) as those made in the Carolina's so it could certainly stand to reason that the wood composites with a teak veneer that they use in Bene's would be cut by the high falutin' computerized machine that they are quite proud of in France and then shipped to the US for assembly. I'm not saying they do it, I'm saying it's easily within the realm of possibility. Kind of like the way they built Airbus's.

Haaaaa, could be, between EU bene and Usa bene, yeah i agree , who know? but anyway if a piece of bulkhead or furniture is defective i dont see a reason to send it to Bene usa, there is quality controls in USA bene factory? i guess same as in france.
__________________
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 14:07   #142
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post

Haaaaa, could be, between EU bene and Usa bene, yeah i agree , who know? but anyway if a piece of bulkhead or furniture is defective i dont see a reason to send it to Bene usa, there is quality controls in USA bene factory? i guess same as in france.

Note I didn't say I believed it but Indefinately heard it. Keep in mind that BUSA can't just reject bad parts. BF is the corp owner, not a separate vendor.

We saw silly things like shelves that weren't quite long enough and corners that were offset, etc. of course it could be that the material was good and the assemblybwasn't as good. Who knows but no mattere where your boat comes from, ya gotta check everything.
__________________
PeglegLeVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:07   #143
Registered User
 
stevensuf's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Back in Scotland!
Boat: Gib sea 43
Posts: 840
Images: 10
Re: Beneteau Sense Quality Issues

On the brass sea cock issue , yes i agree, this is wnkrs interfering , just silly, but would you drive to work in a tank just in case of a car crash?
__________________
http://nicnsteve.blogspot.com/

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:14   #144
Registered User
 
stevensuf's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Back in Scotland!
Boat: Gib sea 43
Posts: 840
Images: 10
Re: Beneteau Sense Quality Issues

Regardless of name, the simple facts are, make sure everything that holds the mast up is good, and everything that makes the rudder work is good, oh yes and make sure the keel dont fall off. the engines, well they are all the same. Doing 900 nm with no engine was far easier than doing 300nm with no rudder.
__________________
http://nicnsteve.blogspot.com/

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 14:15   #145
Registered User
 
DDabs's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. George's, Grenada
Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Posts: 1,506
Images: 16
Re: Beneteau Sense Quality Issues

Not sure if this was said or not, but sidenote:

I always thought it was weird that Beneteau put a clear window from the salon to the head...
__________________
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 14:41   #146
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Beneteau Sense Quality Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Not sure if this was said or not, but sidenote:

I always thought it was weird that Beneteau put a clear window from the salon to the head...
Very French

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 16:27   #147
Registered User
 
DDabs's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. George's, Grenada
Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Posts: 1,506
Images: 16
Re: Beneteau Sense Quality Issues

Haha I suppose so!
__________________
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:58   #148
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,960
Re: Beneteau Sense Quality Issues

One of the things that has always been in the back of my mind is this.

If quality is important and the product is "not" built down to a price then why would a builder use brass skin fittings and sea cocks???

My wife and I were home builders for many years and no industry is more monitored by all levels of government than ours however just because something "met the code" didn't mean that it was well built. We had our own standards that meant that for many parts of construction we simply built well beyond code because our experience taught us that there are areas that should not be built cheaply.
Some of the lower cost homes just met the code and they attracted what we referred to as "poundage buyers", Their expectations were much lower and they got what they paid for.

Back to my question: What does it say about a builder when he knows he is putting substandard material into something he is building?

In our industry we have a saying..If this is how you build where I can see it then what do you do where I can't.
__________________
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:29   #149
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Netherlands
Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...
Posts: 174
Re: Beneteau Sense Quality Issues

Hmm brass seacocks,HR uses them too.
Recently I came across this site;
Regina Sailing – Cruising in Safety, Comfort and Style

They use a completly rebuilt HR46,the seacock issue is described in detail here,sroll a bit down;

Regina Laska -

This particilar HR46 was built in 1997...I like that sauna though.


Regards and have a nice weekend!
__________________
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:42   #150
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,960
Re: Beneteau Sense Quality Issues

Yikes, hard to believe because it doesn't make any sense for someone like HR to allow crap into one of their boats.
__________________

__________________
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beneteau

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:47.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.