Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2009, 14:05   #1

Boat: Beneteau 49
beneteau pricing during recession

Hello all - I'm new to the forum and eager to be a participant.

I'm about to buy a new Beneteau 49 and am hoping to find unbiased advice about pricing - especially during this recession; i.e. what is a great price I should shoot for right now? In the cruising world review, the base price is listed as $290,000 but my local dealer has the base at $340k. Obviously inflated - but by how much? I know I should be able to set my price very low during these times.
Since these boats are made in the U.S., the delivery price should be less, etc. I have a spreadsheet of all the options that he sent me as well, but I'm mainly looking for anyone that knows a shrewd base price and/or those who own the boat or gotten great quotes.

Hoping for advice soon, I'm trying to get the boat in the water for summer!
virgovirtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 15:25   #2

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Just had an auction in Australia.

Some boats sold for 50% off.

Got to remember they are a discretionary spend during a recession, and some people have to sell, but no one has to buy.

Dave
Old 30-03-2009, 15:42   #3

Why not find a nice 2 or 3 year old one? You can save lots on a boat that is already aoufitted and has most of the post delivery problems worked out!
I don't know what the base price should be, but just try to do some negotiating, you might be surprised.
My 5 cents,
Brian
amarinesurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 16:16   #4

Boat: 1995 Beneteau Oceanis 281
My advice. Don't be afraid to insult someone when it comes to your money. After all, you can always go up, but it's hard to go down. Offer way less than you even expect to pay. You may miss an opportunity here or there, but you will eventually get the most boat for your money. Unless of coarse you have already fallen in love with the boat in which case you have already made a major mistake. (It is one I think we all make)
Cheers.
Waterborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 17:13   #5

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Timely query - my son just purchased a B49. Listening to his story, it was surprising how disparate the price was depending upon where he looked and when. Approx a year ago, he was quoted a list price from a dealer in Annapolis and an equivalent price from one in the Great Lakes area. Two months ago, two different dealers quoted him far less fully commissioned with full electronics and canvas in the water. By the time the negs were completed, they included a genset and a free slip for the season, provided a written warantee extension for 5 years and probably would have kissed his rear end too if he had asked.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 18:51   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Buying a boat now:

Take the advice we ALL heard in college: "You get slapped a few times, but 1 out of 10 will say yes". Don't be afraid to insult the sellers. There are 9 more behind him.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 10:38   #7

Boat: Beneteau 49
Thanks to all that posted - this is a great resource.
virgovirtus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau