Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2019, 00:32   #46

Boat: Bavaria 35E
Re: Beneteau or Bavaria Old boats

Lot of bashing going on here. I'm perfectly happy with my Bavaria which is a 1999. I have several friends with Beneteau's. We can compare and contrast ad infinitum. The interior joinery on either of these brands drops off somewhere around the mid 2000's. But Bavaria have always been good with the sailing hardware provided. Just look at the difference in size and weight of the cleats to other similar brands. I know for certain that the hulls are built well for a production boat. And as for Cadillacs. Well, I had a couple MB's that nickel and dimed me to death. Bought at Cadillac CTS when they came out. No trouble whatsoever and sold it with 120k miles. On my second Cadillac now (SRX) - very little inexpensive trouble. So take the brand bashing with a grain of salt. Your Mercedes could very well turn out better than mine did. Sometimes a Chevy is just fine.

One word of caution, which you were originally asking about, relates to the rudder posts on some of the Bavaria's. The rudders were supplied by Jaffa (probably the largest in the business). The stainless tubes can have degradation and the bearings need to be inspected. Just be on the look out for that.
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 17:14   #47

I have to agree with there being a lot of Bavaria bashing on here. The first thing I notice was the disinformation being given relating to construction. Do your research and don’t rely only on what you hear here, For instance, the rudder stock on mine is stainless steel. Stick your head in and around the boats you like.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 17:57   #48

Boat: Bavaria Vision 46

I also agree with the bashing theme. Reterec from non owners, that’s all. I wouldn’t bash a boat I didn’t own, but it would be pretty easy.
SofiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:07   #49

I note with interest the comments on the various build qualities. I have a late 80's Beneteau 375. It sails well but does need regular sail trimming to outsail boats a little smaller. The reason for this entry to put would be buyers of this model some plus's and negatives. The interior finish is in teak and my hat off to the fitter(s) who put it together. The 375's were originally fitted with a Volvo diesel. Mine has a Yanmar. The fuel delivery system is on the opposite side. What the makers did not do is the change the engine inspection hatch from port to starboard. A hole was cut ,150 mm, in diameter, well nigh impossible to bleed the fuel filter and use the fuel lift pump. The steering wheel / column is just about usable, better suited for some one of Napoleons size it is so close to the rear locker that I have had to remove the fitted locks to prevent damage to my lower legs.. The bow anchor arrangement is good for the showroom but not for use at sea. There is insufficient drop for the chain when recovering the anchor which has to be hand cleared continuously . The mainsheet traveller is positioned at the forward end of the cockpit. Immediately next to the track are opening lockers. Without fail one of the traveler ropes will fall into the joint between locker and track and will prevent the locker closing after it has been opened. The locker opening if moved aft some 100 mm would have avoided this problem It is a shame that those designing the boats appear to have little or no practical experience. So buyers be aware and take note, my experience in modern times is that any back up assistance from Beneteau is none existence, and that is in France speaking their language.
john007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bavaria, beneteau, boat