Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2016, 07:50   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 651
Re: Beneteau oceanis 55

Have you thought about the Elan 49 impression? Not quite as large but certainly not small, different interior look again, just another option.
In regards to the Hanse i find the build of some models attractive. Galvanised steel frame tieing rigging and keel etc together, properly tabbed in bulkheads and some models are epoxy builds, stronger but lighter.
Im not sure regarding the exposed double rudders of both the beneteau and elan? but acknowledge i know nothing of there design or strength.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 09:48   #17
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in New York
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,269
Images: 25
Re: Beneteau oceanis 55

Re keel depth.
When I was in the Bahamas the super yacht Cakewalk was there. (Now named Aquilla)

How stupid it would be to think you couldn't go where he can go.

Quote:
AQUILA YACHT FOR CHARTER
The 281 ft / 85.6m Custom motor yacht 'Aquila' was built by Derecktor Shipyards and last refitted in 2016. Previously named Cakewalk her luxurious interior was designed by Dalton Designs and her exterior styling is by Tim Heywood Design.

Special Features

Entirely refit in 2016
Ultra-modern interior design
Brand new home cinema
Private sundeck area attached to the master cabin
Superyacht AQUILA is the largest personal yacht built in America in nearly a century.
__________________

__________________
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 09:50   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Netherlands
Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...
Posts: 156
Re: Beneteau oceanis 55

Here is a videochannel of a family in the US who are moving aboard an Oceanis 55 to sail the seven seas.
enjoy!


Good luck with your choice!








https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNY...iRRHo_v5Nmrfow
__________________
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 10:57   #19
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Mediterranean
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 6,086
Re: Beneteau oceanis 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Sisters View Post
Dinghy garage but the same mini stove dimensions that have been around forever. Any larger choices with the cooker beyond the present offerings ?

Especially the oven.
Ditch the gas stove and install an induction cook top. You'll never go back to gas.
__________________
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 12:09   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,175
Re: Beneteau oceanis 55

I'm with Mark on the shoal draft keel. I think 6 to 6.5 draft for a boat that size is just fine. Shoal draft boats give up windward performance and I know because we have one and its one of the better ones out there (Scheel Keel) but I would rather have the deeper one at 6 ft. Yes there are some pluses to shoal draft in certain areas but unless your going to do all your sailing in shoal areas I think a standard depth is a better choice. For a 55 ft. boat a more normal draft would be 7 ft. plus so 6 ft is still shallow for that size of boat. Really large windows are great in moderate climates and help to give the boat a very roomy feeling but if your in the tropics most of the time you'll find most people keep them covered as they contribute lots of unwanted heat below. Our ports are small by comparison yet we still keep them covered as do 95% of the multi hull owners we see. Met a fellow who was cleaning his boat in the marina in the Canaries and while he was waxing the hull windows one of them fell out into his hand, I'm not very keen on them now unless they are really well installed with proper frames, which his wasn't. I'm a devout mono guy but I sailed together with a large group of multihulls this past year and while none were speed boats they sure have the room, I can see why so many people are attracted to them, maybe have another look. We were visiting on L45 and it was bigger than many apartments, what a party boat.
__________________
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 15:42   #21
Registered User
 
AJPT's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Portsmouth, UK
Posts: 27
Re: Beneteau oceanis 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I'm with Mark on the shoal draft keel. I think 6 to 6.5 draft for a boat that size is just fine. Shoal draft boats give up windward performance and I know because we have one and its one of the better ones out there (Scheel Keel) but I would rather have the deeper one at 6 ft. Yes there are some pluses to shoal draft in certain areas but unless your going to do all your sailing in shoal areas I think a standard depth is a better choice. For a 55 ft. boat a more normal draft would be 7 ft. plus so 6 ft is still shallow for that size of boat. Really large windows are great in moderate climates and help to give the boat a very roomy feeling but if your in the tropics most of the time you'll find most people keep them covered as they contribute lots of unwanted heat below. Our ports are small by comparison yet we still keep them covered as do 95% of the multi hull owners we see. Met a fellow who was cleaning his boat in the marina in the Canaries and while he was waxing the hull windows one of them fell out into his hand, I'm not very keen on them now unless they are really well installed with proper frames, which his wasn't. I'm a devout mono guy but I sailed together with a large group of multihulls this past year and while none were speed boats they sure have the room, I can see why so many people are attracted to them, maybe have another look. We were visiting on L45 and it was bigger than many apartments, what a party boat.
Thanks for your advice, I think your right Robert ref the shoal draft, it was a option I was exploring. And as said above there are super yachts cutting about in the Bahamas they fit just fine so us mere mortals on a dinky boat will find somewhere.

I want to like the cats, I was impressed with the lagoon 42 but there just seems something missing, they don't excite me. The new Hanse 588 is some boat I have to say, huge inside and out and beautifully made, my gf was actually jumping about on it with excitement, no other boat made her do that. Atm it's at the top of our list.

As for the elan 49, nice but not my thing, I'm sure it sails pretty good though.

Cheers
__________________
AJPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 18:23   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 651
Re: Beneteau oceanis 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Re keel depth.
When I was in the Bahamas the super yacht Cakewalk was there. (Now named Aquilla)

How stupid it would be to think you couldn't go where he can go.
Hi Mark, keel depth has never been a big issue for me but there are times eg. Today im touching the bottom at a low spring, with more keel i couldnt be here and would have to move to the other main anchorage which with these westerlies is quite unconfortable.
With 1.9m there has only been once i havent been able to go somewhere i wanted to.
In saying this i also wouldnt want less than 1.8m for sailing reasons.
The Hanses ive been looking at are mainly 2.6m, even then it would of been rare 2.6m would have been an issue in the last 7 years, some marinas and haulouts.
I do acknowledge keel depth (as in more) isnt the issue alot make it out to be, but given the option between 2.6m and 2? Id go the former.
Just a personal opinion.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 19:17   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,175
Re: Beneteau oceanis 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPT View Post
Thanks for your advice, I think your right Robert ref the shoal draft, it was a option I was exploring. And as said above there are super yachts cutting about in the Bahamas they fit just fine so us mere mortals on a dinky boat will find somewhere.

I want to like the cats, I was impressed with the lagoon 42 but there just seems something missing, they don't excite me. The new Hanse 588 is some boat I have to say, huge inside and out and beautifully made, my gf was actually jumping about on it with excitement, no other boat made her do that. Atm it's at the top of our list.

As for the elan 49, nice but not my thing, I'm sure it sails pretty good though.

Cheers
I understand the lack of excitement sailing cruising multihulls because, well, they aren't that exciting to sail but they sure are roomy as hell. Good luck on your search, remember sometimes the sizzle is almost as good as the steak, it's a great deal of fun shopping for a new boat. It's great that your GF is having as much fun as you are...gotta love it!
__________________
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 02:23   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 33
Re: Beneteau oceanis 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Hi Mark, keel depth has never been a big issue for me but there are times eg. Today im touching the bottom at a low spring, with more keel i couldnt be here and would have to move to the other main anchorage which with these westerlies is quite unconfortable.
With 1.9m there has only been once i havent been able to go somewhere i wanted to.
In saying this i also wouldnt want less than 1.8m for sailing reasons.
The Hanses ive been looking at are mainly 2.6m, even then it would of been rare 2.6m would have been an issue in the last 7 years, some marinas and haulouts.
I do acknowledge keel depth (as in more) isnt the issue alot make it out to be, but given the option between 2.6m and 2? Id go the former.
Just a personal opinion.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Hi
I have to say I didn't think keel depth was an issue either, while sailing the Mediterranean Sea mostly, or multihulls anywhere else. However, still sometimes we were happy to be able to anchor at a shoal beach.
And last year I went and sailed the BVIs for the first time in an Oceanis 48 (great boat btw) and I was happy to have less than 1,8m of draft in order to access many places like Anegada, without having to wait for the right tide at 3am.
Just a personal opinion again
__________________
CbroTheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 05:52   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Penobscot Bay, Maine
Boat: Tayana 47
Posts: 790
Re: Beneteau oceanis 55

Unless you are planning to do almost all of your sailing in the Bahamas and Florida Keys, I would opt for the deeper keeled boat because everywhere else you'll be happier with the deeper keel. Sitting at the dock they all look pretty much the same, but offshore or even sailing locally when you get passed by a deeper draft boat, you'll wish you had a little more down there. If the sailing you plan to do makes shallow draft a high priority, get the cat. You're only fooling yourself if you think anything is for free when it comes to sailboat design. For me at least, the cost of shallow draft is too high.
__________________
jtsailjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 07:15   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 33
Re: Beneteau oceanis 55

Just to know, as I would like soon to look for a boat to buy too:
Has anything in particular pushed you away from the Jeanneau Yacht range? Or even the sense? (As you seem to enjoy big spacious boats)
__________________
CbroTheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 08:00   #27
Registered User

Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 232
Re: Beneteau oceanis 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPT View Post
The 588 is the replacement for the 575, same hull upgraded systems and fittings.

Ref the dinghy garage, I'm not sure how big a dinghy it can take but as stated a great addition to have.

Both the 588 and the 575 are still listed at Hanse's site. If they are really replacing the 575, that is a shame. That navstation/office alone makes me jealous of that boat. Unfortunately, European boats are slowly getting rid of the internal nav desks and replacing them with half-assed versions that double as folding seats.
__________________
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 08:23   #28
Registered User
 
AJPT's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Portsmouth, UK
Posts: 27
Re: Beneteau oceanis 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CbroTheDude View Post
Just to know, as I would like soon to look for a boat to buy too:
Has anything in particular pushed you away from the Jeanneau Yacht range? Or even the sense? (As you seem to enjoy big spacious boats)
I've heard some horror story's about jeanneau, basically once you hand over your money then your own your own.
Their yachts have never appealed to me, I've looked at them but i can't get excited. Maybe quite a sweeping statement but why buy something you don't like.

The sense range Ive tried to like but again I can't. We went on the brand new sense 57 the other day and I wasn't overly impressed tbh. Poor wood workmanship, the deck plates were creaking really bad and I also thought there seemed to be a lot of wasted space back aft. I understand they tired to move all the machinery away from the cabins but it just seemed like it didn't work. My own personal take on it. Ohh and it was nearly 600000 pounds, yikes. A mono trying to be a cat!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
Both the 588 and the 575 are still listed at Hanse's site. If they are really replacing the 575, that is a shame. That navstation/office alone makes me jealous of that boat. Unfortunately, European boats are slowly getting rid of the internal nav desks and replacing them with half-assed versions that double as folding seats.
I think builders are going down the more light, open plan look, like a stylish modern penthouse flat. Minimalist.
The 588 will replace the 575 so I've been told, interestingly it's the same hull as the moody 54ds.

There is also a new Hanse out soon, 538 with a dinghy garage apparently!
__________________
AJPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 08:43   #29
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cruising through S. Pacific
Boat: Lagoon 450
Posts: 204
Re: Beneteau oceanis 55

Before you write off catamarans, remember that, if you cruise, you spend most of your time on anchor... Also, catamarans do not have keel depth problem. You can even beach them to clean the bottom.

I've cruised on a Beneteau 49 and a Lagoon 450 (currently) and the L450 is way more fun.

Good luck on your quest. The right boat will "talk" to you... You'll know when you see her.

Blog: Et Voila Adventures
__________________
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 10:33   #30
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in New York
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,269
Images: 25
Re: Beneteau oceanis 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Hi Mark, keel depth has never been a big issue for me but there are times eg. Today im touching the bottom at a low spring, with more keel i couldnt be here and would have to move to the other main anchorage which with these westerlies is quite unconfortable.
p
Yes, I agree that there will always be some place that any keel is going to be a problem.
But its so few and far that it becomes negligible.
In the Bahamas doing the island hopping stuff I would track the AIS tracks of the inter-island barges as they drew 2m.
Yes, there are lots of anchorages in the Bahamas where one needs to have their eyes open, some you can't get in close, or as you say, can't fit in at all.

However, that's not the Rest Of The World. The Med is deep to too bloody deep, as is the Pacific, as is the Caribbean. The UK is the other way but you need 2 keels as it dries out.

So it does depend in where people are going. If they ate only ever doing ICW, Florida, Bahamas then go for the chopped off. But if people are going through that area once to cruise for years in the Caribbean etc then I would prefer the deeper
__________________

__________________
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beneteau, oceanis

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beneteau 473 vis Beneteau Oceanis 473 what is difference? Freshman Monohull Sailboats 32 01-12-2015 18:09
Beneteau Oceanis 461 martin Our Community 10 28-07-2015 04:53
Beneteau Oceanis 461 mythryal Monohull Sailboats 37 12-09-2009 21:04
For Sale: Beneteau Oceanis 461 haluk Classifieds Archive 0 21-11-2007 02:31
Genoa size Beneteau Oceanis 393 chriskef Monohull Sailboats 2 26-05-2007 14:11


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:09.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.