Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2017, 14:24   #181

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Beneteau oceanis 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
... I said it made a great liveaboard for them but it's not a boat I would have chosen as a cruiser. It is really compromised on fuel as well as a lousy dodger/bimini and limited storage but they love it and that's all that counts..... Nothing wrong with the 47, it's a sailors boat but full of compromises for serious cruisers.
So, I guess your friends that have the Grand Soleil performance cruiser are live aboards but not serious cruisers????

You really have a big difficulty in separating what you like regarding a cruising boat to what others like as a cruising boat to the point to say that the ones that don't like the type of boat you see perfect for you to cruise are not serious cruisers LOL

Wake up!!!! I know a couple that lived on the boat and that circumnavigated and cruised around the world on a racing Open 40 slightly modified. They would not have a slower boat that they find very boring to sail. I don't have any wish to circumnavigate but even for coastal cruising I find their ideal cruising boat too radical in what regards comfort. That means that they are not serious cruisers? LOL
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 14:37   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
So, I guess your friends that have the Grand Soleil performance cruiser are live aboards but not serious cruisers????

You really have a big difficulty in separating what you like regarding a cruising boat to what others like as a cruising boat to the point to say that the ones that don't like the type of boat you see perfect for you to cruise are not serious cruisers LOL

Wake up!!!! I know a couple that lived on the boat and that circumnavigated and cruised around the world on a racing Open 40 slightly modified. They would not have a slower boat that they find very boring to sail. I don't have any wish to circumnavigate but even for coastal cruising I find their ideal cruising boat too radical in what regards comfort. That means that they are not serious cruisers? LOL
I pulled your leg with my last sentence
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 16:36   #183

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPT View Post
So..... 18 pages on of arguing and belittling one another I'm still non the wiser if anyone has sailed a 55 or similar sized vessel with a 6ft keel. Any takers? Or shall we just continue the rampage of slating everything that isn't a Amel or blue water with 100 hand holds.
Not sure if this helps you or not as its a little smaller and not of the new modern hull forms, but my boat is a 1993 Beneteau Oceanis 510... 50' with a hair under a 6ft keel. It's probably a whole different animal than what your trying to compare to, and I don't have the cruising pedigree of the others here, but if you think i can answer anything, let me know. Just trying to help get your thread back on track.

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=6144

Sent from my SM-N920V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1484008184565.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	139290  
CaptNemoO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 17:46   #184

Boat: Nauticat 52
Beneteau oceanis 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNemoO2 View Post
Not sure if this helps you or not as its a little smaller and not of the new modern hull forms, but my boat is a 1993 Beneteau Oceanis 510... 50' with a hair under a 6ft keel. It's probably a whole different animal than what your trying to compare to, and I don't have the cruising pedigree of the others here, but if you think i can answer anything, let me know. Just trying to help get your thread back on track.

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=6144

Sent from my SM-N920V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Those are pretty nice boats. I like the Beneteaus from that era. They still looked like boats.

Check this one out, not a new Beneteau, but it's state-of-the-art and highly efficient.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0078.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	139293
Raven Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 18:00   #185

Boat: Liberty 458

Marketing driven design is what gives us much of the current yacht designs. It is how volume builders in all sectors sell product.

Back in the early naughties when I was working on US truck dvelopment we found some interesting buying triggers.

While specific functionality was regional, even down to county by county preferences the final buying decision of the highly optioned builds was made by the wife.

Suspect women play a key role in current yacht buying decisions.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 18:09   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
Marketing driven design is what gives us much of the current yacht designs. It is how volume builders in all sectors sell product.

Back in the early naughties when I was working on US truck dvelopment we found some interesting buying triggers.

While specific functionality was regional, even down to county by county preferences the final buying decision of the highly optioned builds was made by the wife.

Of course they do, especially between monos and cats. After that it's heads and galleys but then why not, if it was all left to men it might not be that great.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 20:15   #187

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

Quote:

Yes, my wife is playing a key role in our next yacht purchase. After all what good is a boat if the wife is not happy? especially if she is going to live in it!
I have shown her lots of boats. She doesn't like the cats because of the looks, so I have to go with a roomy mono, with a large galley and master stateroom. She needs her own space on the boat, thus the master with some room to hang out, makeup station, good size hanging locker and storage is a must.
The problem with the older more classic style boats is they just do not have this kind of space in the length we are looking at.
SO regardless of how great they sail, when it comes to liveaboards that are blue also water sailors, there has to be some compromises and trade-offs.
Old 09-01-2017, 20:19   #188

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Odyssey View Post
Those are pretty nice boats. I like the Beneteaus from that era. They still looked like boats.

Check this one out, not a new Beneteau, but it's state-of-the-art and highly efficient.

Attachment 139293

Ok, that was actually funny. Well played
Old 10-01-2017, 00:11   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Windrush II View Post
Yes, my wife is playing a key role in our next yacht purchase. After all what good is a boat if the wife is not happy? especially if she is going to live in it!
I have shown her lots of boats. She doesn't like the cats because of the looks, so I have to go with a roomy mono, with a large galley and master stateroom. She needs her own space on the boat, thus the master with some room to hang out, makeup station, good size hanging locker and storage is a must.
The problem with the older more classic style boats is they just do not have this kind of space in the length we are looking at.
SO regardless of how great they sail, when it comes to liveaboards that are blue also water sailors, there has to be some compromises and trade-offs.
This is exactly where we are at atm. My partner loves the hanse 588 because of the kitchen and utility room plus general space inside.
AJPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:11   #190

Boat: Amel 54

Quote:
While specific functionality was regional, even down to county by county preferences the final buying decision of the highly optioned builds was made by the wife. Suspect women play a key role in current yacht buying decisions.
Women like to nest they are homemakers so all that stuff is important to them, same thing when you look at a house. It has to feel right and the energy of the house has to be right. I would never belittle it but at the same time I have no problem taking the discussion with my better half on a logical and rational level should she go overboard with her wants for design and spacious interior.

Example.
She wanted an elongated galley because she likes to cook and find it practical with counter space, well those are not terrible safe or practical in a seaway compared to a u-shaped snug galley, well the galley in the Super Maramu sort of hit both marks, U-shaped but large enough to be "elongated" with plenty of counter space. I'm happy she's happy it's a win win.
Van Der Beek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:34   #191

Boat: Pogo 10,50

Bordeaux 60 used the same kind of galley, followed by Dufour exclusive 56 and now Bavaria c57 "copying"
CbroTheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:21   #192

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

My wife and I are seriously considering the Ocean Yachts Star 56.1

The 3 stateroom model has the large forward master cabin, lots of counter space in the galley and the boat is built stronger than most production yachts out of Europe.

Ocean Yachts UK, Ocean Sailing Yacht, Cruising Ocean Yachts, Sailing Yachts UK

Old 10-01-2017, 06:31   #193

Boat: Nauticat 52

Quote:

The 3 stateroom model has the large forward master cabin, lots of counter space in the galley and the boat is built stronger than most production yachts out of Europe.

Nice!
Raven Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:36   #194

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:

Regarding design is very similar to the Beneteau Cyclades 50, but with a better built. The design is typical from the beginning of the century.

The Ocean Yacht was a boat built in Greek by Greeks and I believe the brand does not exist anymore. The built was not bad but inferior of what you can find for instance on a Grand Soleil, a Wauquiez, a Dehler, a Arcona (or many other European brands) from the same era but I believe the used price would be far superior.

The finish quality was superior but I have doubts if in what regards the rest the boat was superior to the other good mass production boats of that era.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:22   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
You could have said that it was that what you wanted to know

No need to sail the boat to tell you about that: The stability will be about the same since they normally increase the weight of the ballast to compensate the lesser draft. The boat will be heavier and it will sail not as well upwind, that for about 5º to 10º or so, depending on the boat.

Many just prefere to motor upwind anyway. You will have a boat slightly less performant and unless you like to sail fast or like, or need particularly to sail upwind it will not make a big difference. You can be sure that the boat will sail well otherwise they would not offer that option, even if that draft is about the limit in what regards what is offered in 55ft sailboats.

The boat
Thanks, great description and that makes perfect sense. I've been following zatara on utube and they have done a fair bit of motoring to wind, I guess having a 5.5ft keel isn't going to help them.

I must say tge grand soleil 46 is a beautiful boat, did some more research on it last night. Amazing that it's 46 ft, looks a lot bigger.

Think I might need to go to dusseldorf boat show and view it.
AJPT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, oceanis