Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2015, 00:01   #1

Beneteau Oceanis 500

The wife and I are looking at an 89 Beneteau Oceanis 500. I am wondering what everyone on here can tell me about it, the good and bad. Are there certain things I should pay close attention to when looking at it? Thanks for yalls help.

TJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Capt_Teedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 00:33   #2

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
Re: Beneteau Oceanis 500

what would you like to know may i ask how much it is for sale and what version is it ie cabins
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:38   #3

It is the 4 cabin set up. They are asking 70k. Just wondering what people think about them. Good and bad. Parts that are starting to fail so I can know what to look for.

Old 04-09-2015, 20:34   #4

Not knowing the overall condition of the boat that might be a very good price or it might be very bad. The consensus here I think is that the boat and brand is well suited for gunk holing and general sailing. I don't think the boat is designed for world cruising and that is fine for most. Dependent upon the rig and the accessories it could be easy to handle for two. ..or maybe not. Some people call them bleach bottles, some not. I think the design suits the function at an affordable price point. ..in most cases you get what you pay for with these boats. Be prepared to update all the systems of they are still original equipment.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 21:50   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

For any boat of this age, there are vast differences between boats that have been well kept and those that have been neglected. The most critical differences are areas where water intrudes from below or above. If those have been well kept, everything else is relatively easily repaired.

Have the boat dived with a video camera and ask the diver to get close-up video of all thru-hulls and the leading edges of the keel and rudder. Also get video of the condition of the zincs and prop. Bottom cleaning divers are known to every marina office, so just ask them for a recommendation.

Inspect the keel bolts and the fiberglass around the keel, and the leading edge and bottom of the keel itself for signs of hard groundings. Groundings can cause invisible damage to the bottom of the hull that can make a bolted keel unsafe. If there is signs of grounding on the keel, you'll want to have the boat hauled and closely inspected.

Check the shaft seal and be sure it's not leaking. Listen for a running bilge pump while you're inspecting the boat. Look for a wet bilge, inspect the thru-hull fittings for corrosion. Inspect the rudder post and fittings. Thru-hulls are often hard to find inside a boat, so use the diver's video as a guide to where they ought to be.

Inspect the chainplates looking for signs of water intrusion below or around them. Also inspect the mast step at the top of the compression post for signs of water intrusion.

Look for white corrosion on the mast fittings, especially the gooseneck attachment for the boom.

Test the standing rigging for proper tension (it should stand up stiffly to your weight pulling on it on both sides), and inspect the swages at the chainplates. If they look good, with only minor surface corrosion and no fraying, they're likely fine. Otherwise you should budget to replace the standing rigging. If the standing rigging seems lose, the boat may have undergone shock-loading which would require additional inspection of the mast foot and the chainplates.

Expect to replace the batteries, and test all the electrical panel switches.

I would not expect significant problems from the Perkins diesel or the clutch. If it runs easily at test and doesn't smoke too badly, it likely needs nothing more than routine service.

I would personally budget about $15,000 to replace sails, standing and running rigging, and electrics/electronics, pocketing the savings for whatever is good enough to keep.
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:23   #6

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

I have looked at this one online as well.....one thing that stuck out seriously in my mind was the nearly 8200 hours on the engine....something to seriously consider, might be time for a complete overhaul...
Old 05-09-2015, 11:03   #7

Yea I was looking at that as well land cruiser. Other than that seems good.
Thanks for the responses, but I'm looking for more specifics on this type of sailboat, not things to look at and test on all sailboats and floating objects. Looking for issues that tend to pop up on the older Oceanis 500s. Thanks for you help.

Tags
beneteau, oceanis