Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2012, 13:55   #1

Beneteau, Jeanneau, Gib'sea?

Looking to buy a boat soon and would like to sell it in Australia in about 14 months. Just don't want to buy anything that would be hard for me to sell.

I rank the boats from least expensive to more expensive.

Gib'sea 43 (2002)
Oceanis 440 (1995)
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 43 (2000)

If just going by name, is it harder to sell a Gib'sea (Dufour) than the other two?
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 14:39   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: Beneteau, Jeanneau, Gib'sea?

Yes, I think of the Gib'sea as a very low quality Dufour, probably lower than the Beneteau. The Jenneau is slightly better built than the Beneteau. At least many years ago they had a kevlar layer in the laminate and their floors were made classically of transverse floor members and stringers as opposed to a glassed in floor pan.

So you have the order correct in your listing.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 15:41   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Yes, I think of the Gib'sea as a very low quality Dufour, probably lower than the Beneteau. The Jenneau is slightly better built than the Beneteau. At least many years ago they had a kevlar layer in the laminate and their floors were made classically of transverse floor members and stringers as opposed to a glassed in floor pan.

So you have the order correct in your listing.

David
David--

With all due respect, your comment reveals a lack of understanding of the function of the hull liners installed in Beneteau and Jeaneau yachts--a practice that goes back to the late 70's/early 80's depending upon which manufacturer you select. The liners, which extend approximately 2'-6" above the yachts' bilges, are structural elements that are designed to increase overall hull stiffness and are installed and bonded to the exterior hull skins while they are still in their molds and "green" so that the bonds between liners and hulls are chemical as well as adheasive. This manufacturing technique is used in automobiles, aviation et al. To argue that a bolted and screwed floors/ceiling assembly is superior is simply erronious as it would be to argue that bolted and screwed structural auto frames of the 40's/50's are/were superior to current auto manufacturing methods. T'aint so.

Beyond the foregoing, the Gib'sea is a nicely built yacht and I believe the original question was aimed at marketability. Marketability is, in part, determined by the preferances, predispositions of the participants in the particular market in question and it may be that traditional construction/build methods are preferred by the segment of the market that exists in Oz.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 04:56   #4

Boat: '02 Jeanneau Sun Odyssy 43DS

I was just thinking about the same, which of the 3 would be a better boat for bluewater circumnavigation.

Looking at the Oceanis 473 2006, Sun Odyssey 43 2005 or Gib'Sea 43 2001?

I am considering buying a boat from the SunSail website and these 3 models are quite reasonably priced

Any experieces??
andreshs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 12:11   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 45DS

Have sailed 473. Found it to be a very good yacht. Fast, spacious ( plenty of room for 4 for extended cruising ) and far more comfortable in a sea than many here would like to tell you. I found the interior to be a little on the dark side but thats a completely subjective view.. I sailed a 3 cab version but the 2 cab owners version looks a superb cruiser! SHame there are so few in Europe! They were mainly sold in the U.S.
Thames 4 Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 13:38   #6

Boat: Beneteau 423

If it is in your budget, you should include a Beneteau 423 on your list if it would be big enough. (Disclaimer: I own a 423) There are many to choose from in a couple of different configurations. When it comes time to sell, it is anybody's guess as to the market at that point. Beneteau is certainly recognized and I think is generally considered a quality production boat.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 17:49   #7

Thanks guys

I have never seen the 2 cabin 473, but l'll need a 3 cabin to put the kids.

I'd also consider the 423, but I have not seen as many on offer though ( bear in mind I am looking to buy ex-charter) I've seen that the 473 seems bo be fairly priced at around 140K and I am saving 25K for upgrades over the next few years.

I am currently sailing a 28" so will take me a few years to fully get ready for the trip.

One of my main concerns with a smaller boat is storage. For spare sails for example, is there a sail locker?

Thanks
Andres
Old 19-11-2012, 18:40   #8

Boat: Beneteau 423

Unfortunately, the 3rd cabin takes up the place of a nice big cockpit locker on the 423. There are two decently sized lazerettes on the 423. Likely they are more substantial on the 473.

If you would consider a Moorings boat, look at Moorings 473s. They are Beneteaus with customizations for Moorings. For example, the three cabin versions have three heads, probably two more than a family needs. You might be able to use one or two of those for storage with some creative placement of temporary shelving.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 23:14   #9

Another good boat in the same ilk is the Jeanneau 45.2
This had a 3 cab option but also a sail locker. Not many 45s seem to come with this these days as they squeeze the forecabin forward to add a foot or so to the salon.
The extra width in the fore cabin makes it extremely comfortable!
The 45.2 interior seems a little brighter than the 473.
Old 19-11-2012, 23:39   #10

Boat: Gib sea 43

I own a gibsea 43 and its probably the best built and toughest of the 3 by far... but For resale in oz i would buy jenny or bendy as they are better known and easier to sell on.

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 10:45   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I used to have a Jeanneau 43 (2002) and was very happy with it. While they have a certain "blocky" look they are solid and have a good resale value.
Old 20-11-2012, 12:01   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

If I were you I would get to know a broker in teh area where you will be trying to sell the boat and ask him. We (collectively) know little about the market in any specific area, but someone who earns his living doing that should have a good idea.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 20-11-2012, 16:51   #13

Hi, thanks

Yes, the distribution of the 45.2 seems nicer, I would for sure get rid of one of the toilets anyway, but having the extra sail locker at the front makes a difference.
But this model comes with the main furler on the mast, is that a good or bad thing?

Steven

What about storage space?

Resale value is not an issue here (Hong Kong), the main problem is the lack of moorings what allows owners to overprice their boats. I am planing on getting the boat from thailand were the market is cheaper. In HK for the price of a Sun Odyssey 45.2 you can get a catalina 35 from 98

Regards
Old 20-11-2012, 22:43   #14

The in mast furling Q will result in 10 pages of debate and there will be no conclusion. Some love it, others think its awful. Personally I like it. Do a search on the subject and read till your bored.
Storage on the 45.2 is fairly good overall with the huge added benefit of a large forward sail lazarette. This is big enough to need a ladder fitted to climb in and out of.
The 45.2 is generally considered to be a very well built boat. The woodwork is of far better quality than the current production boats ( and to put this view into context, I am a big fan of modern proddy boats )...

Because its a Jeanneau I would suggest that it would have strong resale value anywhere.
Old 21-11-2012, 00:08   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
Looking to buy a boat soon and would like to sell it in Australia in about 14 months. Just don't want to buy anything that would be hard for me to sell.

I rank the boats from least expensive to more expensive.

Gib'sea 43 (2002)
Oceanis 440 (1995)
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 43 (2000)

If just going by name, is it harder to sell a Gib'sea (Dufour) than the other two?
I have sailed all three. Resale should be straight forward as long as they are in good condition and competitively priced.

If it were me I would base my decision more on the layout, general condition, history and inventory. They are after all quite similar yachts...

Pete
PeteTheDeliverySkipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, jeanneau