Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-12-2011, 07:48   #16

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Beneteau First

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Little-Devil View Post
Can you tell me more details about the teak? If the teak is rotten and deck seems spongy, the whole deck needs to be replaced, and that's a MASSIVE job, no?
In your earlier post you indicated:

Quote:
There's a 45 in Cape Coral that I was pointed to but I just found out the entire deck is rotten. You walk on it and risk falling through. Lol. Wow. Good luck selling that at any price.
I am assuming you are referring to the exterior decking while Randy was referring to the sole or the interior decking that spans to floors, which are actually the ribs made up by the integral hull liner.

As for the "entire deck" being rotten, the decking is made up of resin impregnated balsa coring with multiple layers of glass top and bottom. Where there are penetrations--for winch-base fasteners, vents, chain-plates, track-bolts and the like--the decking is solid glass well oven an inch thick. It is possible that an unknowing owner may have added something and penetrated a cored area of the deck and allowed water to penetrate around the fasteners, causing localized deterioration, but it's pretty unlikely that the "entire deck" would be involved unless it had been decked with teak with screw fasteners that had leaked. By its nature, the deck could be fairly easily repaired in any areas that are effected although removing and then restoring the headliner would really be a chore.

As for the interior decking, or sole, as Randy describes, the decking is made up of 18mm plywood with reasonably thick teak and holly veneers on the visable surfaces. I had some difficulty with one area of the sole due to water penetration caused by a poorly drained A/C pan and had to have some replacement decking made up which involved using a 1/2" A/C exterior grade ply as a base and laminating roughly 1/4" thick strips of teak and holly milled to match the original veneer widths to the surface. It wasn't difficult, just a pain in the neck, but it worked out well as one cannot tell the new sole decking from the original.

Unfortunately, if either of the foregoing situations afflict the Cape Coral boat, I wouldn't bother with it unless you got a really terrific price.

The 456 (or "45") is a really nice boat although I like the galley and some aspects of the 42 better and it is certainly large enough for us.

As for sailing, the 42 is easy to sail save for dead down wind as Randy described but as that attitude is deadfully slow compared with heading off by 15 or so, we vary rarely ever bother with it. If so, however, such as the narrow entry channel to our River, we typically hard-sheet the main amidships for stability and let the genoa or assym "pull" us along, which is reasonably easy. As for steering otherwise, my (much) better half stands 4'-11" and weighs in at 102# and she has no difficulty "driving", including standing night watches alone in brisk conditions. On a recent trip to the Keys, she stood night watches alone in 25 to 30 knts apparent with a double reefed main and partially furled jib and had no difficulty.

FWIW...

"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 09:52   #17

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
Can you tell me more details about the teak? If the teak is rotten and deck seems spongy, the whole deck needs to be replaced, and that's a MASSIVE job, no?
If the teak deck is bad, it's also common for people to just remove it and have a fiberglass deck.

Old 16-12-2011, 14:42   #18
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by msponer View Post
If the teak deck is bad, it's also common for people to just remove it and have a fiberglass deck.
I was reading about that. Sounds like it's almost better without it.

Personally, I don't like the look of the teak decks when they are grey. I prefer the bright white, clean look of sailboats without the teak. If the wood is bright and the whole boat is wood, then that's different. But I don't think white and brown, or white and grey for that matter, look that great as a color combo.

The firsts all have some teak decking, so hence my concern. That would be the one thing I actually DON'T like about them. Especially if it's just a source of future problems, if not an existing problem on a mid 80's boat.

I wouldn't buy the one in Cape Coral because I don't have enough time or inclination to do that much work at any cost, but it's did get me thinking about teak on any boats I shop for (above deck teak). But out of curiosity, if water has penetrated and soaked the core from neglect, then would you not need to do more than just pull off the teak and glass over it? Wouldn't you need to get inside and dry it out?

The owner told me that her house was built in the 60's and has to be torn down, because it was old. I was like, "WHAT?" She explained her husband never fixed one thing since the house was built and let everything go. Pretty much same since buying the boat. I haven't even seen pictures yet, but it was a bit of a shocker and I can just imagine how bad that boat is. They're asking $35k for a 1985 45' First.
Old 16-12-2011, 15:29   #19
Marine Service Provider

The older First series are great boats. A friend of ours has a 38 and he's probably put over 35,000 miles on it and is crossing the Atlantic at the moment. I love how the boat sails however as someone mentioned, draft can be an issue.
Old 17-12-2011, 13:12   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:

The firsts all have some teak decking, so hence my concern. That would be the one thing I actually DON'T like about them. Especially if it's just a source of future problems, if not an existing problem on a mid 80's boat.
Not all the First had teak decking.. only a limmited few... and of all the 38s, 42s, and 456s that I have seen, only a couple were teak and I've never seen one first hand with deck problems............
Old 17-12-2011, 15:45   #21
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Not all the First had teak decking.. only a limmited few... and of all the 38s, 42s, and 456s that I have seen, only a couple were teak and I've never seen one first hand with deck problems............
Good to hear! Well when I get to LA in a couple of weeks, I'll certainly find out. The excitement is building exponentially every day!
Old 17-12-2011, 17:37   #22

Boat: Beneteau 41S5

I'm very pleased with my First 41S5 but it's now for sale and already in the Caribbean - St Maarten. Very fast with just main and genoa and easy to sail with no topside teak other than the cockpit seats and the swim platform.
Old 29-09-2012, 19:47   #23

Boat: Swan 432

What about the check-stays? We are looking for a cruiser and there is a First 42 for sale at our dealer. We are trying to keep things simple and cannot get a clear picture of what purpose the check-stays serve and whether or not we could reconfigure the rig to get rid of them.
Old 29-09-2012, 20:02   #24

Boat: Hylas 44
check stays are used to support the windward side of the mast and can be moved when headed downwind so the sail and boom can be let out. I doubt you can get rid of them but they probably not necessary in light air.
Old 30-09-2012, 15:11   #25

Boat: Beneteau First 42

There are no"check stays" on a First 42. The yacht has a triple spreader rig with in-line shrouds. No fore or aft lowers to stabilize the mid-section of the mast. Instead there is, forward, a baby-stay, and, when necessary, aft, running back stays. The back-stays were originally wire rope with a 4-part block and tackle system. As a practical matter, the runners are only needed in hard going fairly far off the wind or in big seas. Otherwise the main stabilizes the mast aft of the spreaders. In our case we have replaced the original runners with 1/4" Spectra with covers on the last 15-20 feet or so and dispensed with the block and tackle. We generally tie these off just aft of the shrouds unless in snotty going. Then, they are led aft, through the spinnaker turning blocks and to the secondary winches and cinched down. Even cranked down pretty hard they never see more than about 2000#, if that. When one gybes the boat, or tacks as the case may be, one just casts off the windward runner and takes up on the leeward (about to become to become windward). The boom shoves the old runner out of the way but without damage to sail or boom that might be caused by wire.

One can tell when one needs a runner as the mast will "pump" or flex somewhat which one can feel if not quite see. Note, however, that except in very rough seas and/or hard going, one rarely needs the runners. We haven't used them more than a half dozen times in the last 10 years and only in very snotty weather.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 14:47   #26

Boat: Hunter 460 44'3"

I am purchasing a 1982 First 42. I believe the boat was kept in the St Pete, FL for several years and I am looking for anyone who may know anything about the boat. I purchased it on eBay through a estate sale. Boat in in Cape Charles, LA area, a one owner boat and her name is Elusive Dream. Much like a mail order bride, I have yet to meet the girl but we should meet in the next couple of weeks. If you know anything about her, I would love to hear from you. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:43   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldout2sailing View Post
I am purchasing a 1982 First 42. I believe the boat was kept in the St Pete, FL for several years and I am looking for anyone who may know anything about the boat. I purchased it on eBay through a estate sale. Boat in in Cape Charles, LA area, a one owner boat and her name is Elusive Dream. Much like a mail order bride, I have yet to meet the girl but we should meet in the next couple of weeks. If you know anything about her, I would love to hear from you. Thanks.
I saw that boat and the price they were asking.. you got a great deal..
a FIRST 42 in good condition will fech a price up in the 100k area.. and saw one recently that went for 124.. If I can be of any assistance, just shout.......
we've had ours for 10 years now..
Old 07-11-2012, 20:36   #28

Boat: Hunter 460 44'3"

Randy, Thanks for the offer. I will be heading down to the boat the week after Thanksgiving, 11/27. Once I inspect the vessel it will be a great help to discuss the situation and get recommendations. Do you live aboard or do any extended cruising. My goal is to make sure she is seaworthy and outfitted properly then spend a few months each year cruisng, primarily in the Caribbean.
Old 05-11-2013, 13:08   #29

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

In case anyone still following this thread is interested, our First 375 is for sale:

Beatifully maintained 1986 Beneteau First 375 *

VAT Tax paid in Spain

LOA: 11.82m **LWL: 10.16m **BEAM: 3.76m **DRAFT: 1.95m * DISPLACEMENT: *7,900kg

Canadian Flag. *All GRP with teak cockpit. *Pedestal steering, leather covered wheel.
Anti/fouled 2013, Boat spends 5 months per year in the water and 7 months per year on the hard.

Yanmar 27hp diesel engine. *New Exturn 230 bow thruster installed in June 2013. *New Raymarine P70 autopilot installed in June 2013.

95 liters fuel capacity. *420 liters water (2 tanks) *12/220 volt, *3 batteries, battery charger, shore power cable. *Hot and cold pressurized water system with with shower in cockpit. *

Sloop rig with lazy jacks and Harken bat car handling system. *Newer full batten main *45.97 Sq m Genoa, 39.3 Sq m Working jib. *Anderson ST 46 winches for Genoa. *2 Lewmar 30 halyard winches. *Lewmar 16 on mast.

All new Raymarine instruments and plotter/multifunction display installed in June 2013.
Includes P70 Pilot controller, i70 instrument display, ST60 wind, a65 chart plotter and ST60 Tridata at chart table. *

Owners version with two cabins. *Many interior upgrades including new counter tops, headliners replaced, double SS sink, LED lighting. *Upholstery redone in 2012 in tan alcantera. *Teak and holly wood joinery, dual burner cooker, one head, good storage both in and out. *Teak folding cockpit table. *Stereo radio/CD player. *VHF radio. *New cockpit cushions in 2012. *Full sun awning. *1,000w electric windless with 40m chain and CQR anchor.

One owner for past 20 years, never chartered, well loved and professionally maintained. *Owners now retired and spending more time in Spain and therefore require a larger yacht. *

The asking price is 55,000 Euros. For photos & more details, see Sunbird International Yacht Sales Ltd (Ayrshire, KA22 8DB, United Kingdom)

Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: