Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-12-2008, 16:11   #16

Hello Wind of Peace--
I looked at your boat on Yacht World and have a question regarding the keel. The ad states that the cast iron keel was changed to a 5'11" lead keel. All the US records show the 5'11" to be a winged iron keel, not lead, but the 5'8"? 6"? is the shoal draft lead bulb. The only other lead keel offered was in the 7'7" draft. I would appreciate a clarification.

Thanks for your help, Lewis

Lewis Eisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 13:24   #17

Boat: First 42s7
This reply might be a bit late but . . .

We have owned a 42s7 for 7.5 years, the first 3.5 years of which we were living aboard. We cruised the Med', Baltic & Altantic coast of Europe & after swapping her 2.4m lead keel for the 1.8m iron wing keel and getting the mast shipped we even took her through the French Inland waterways!

We have never crossed oceans, but have very occasionally been caught out in rather unpleasant conditions and she was not too much of a handful.

Most of the crusing was virtually single-handed as we had two v small children aboard and Mum was often preoccupied - the cockpit works well with all lines led aft, but the genoa is too large to tack single-handed upwind in anything > F3, which means we get lazy and ignore wind shifts for half an hour or so

My only concern would be the size of the diesel tank - fine for coastal cruising or hopping around the Med / Baltic, but not big enough to let you motor for days on end should the wind die half way across the Atlantic.

kangaloosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 13:36   #18

Boat: sold swan new cat under construction / Canados 50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
i would trade my beneteau 500 clipper any day for a 45f
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 10:39   #19

Boat: beneteau first 47.7
Send a message via Skype™ to ZARYA

I own a beneteau first435 for 8 years and noow owns afirst 47.7.
The are well built and strong and fast. Never had any problem from
structure and rigging.Finition inside is not Hinkley but for the price.
Don't forget the old saying ( built like a thank sink like a rock)
ZARYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 12:38   #20

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
I, too, have been sailing Beneteaus for quite some time - Owned my first Beneteau (a '83 First 30) for 22 years and sailed in just about everything imaginable in the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic - then Layla came, my current Oceanis 461 (a Farr design) and have been sailing her since 2005 with absolutely no problem whatsoever that can be attributed to the manufacturer.

There are 'nuisances' to correct to be sure, but those are mostly needs created by my personal preferences.

Neither hull has had a single blister in all the years combined(!) They sail beautifully and fast. The 461 has been very seakindly in her motion and shortening the sails have been very easy with the furlers (I had doubts about the furlers in the beginning.)

On Beneteaus or any other boat, I believe one of the most common problem is the sailor who doesn't trim the boat correctly, doesn't reef in a timely fashion, doesn't perform the necessary periodic and otherwise maintenance, etc, etc.... IMHO, it doesn't matter how much one pays for the boat, if you don't treat her right, she will most certainly fail you.

As far as the ex-charter boats, it is like buying an ex-rental car... If you are lucky, she had a low stress prior life - if not, you will need to live with the leftover impact of hard groundings, stressed out rigging, sails, engine, etc.. I -personally- preferred to stay away from the retired charter boats.

Hope you get your Benny and enjoy it as much as many in this forum have enjoyed theirs.

Fair winds!

Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 14:14   #21

Re: Beneteau First 42s7

A question for Chris "Kangaloosh" about changing your keel:

We have a 42s7 with the shoal draft iron wing keel and would like to change this out to the deeper racing keel. how did you go about getting the second keel? I'd like to hear your experience on swapping out the keel. And what did you do with the original deep keel?

s/v Eclipse

gconary is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: