Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2017, 13:45   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch
Re: Beneteau first 32 v contessa 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbikes1 View Post
Too be honest I'm still looking at moorings.
I live in North London and would like somewhere an hours drive away.
I believe there are a lot oggy deep keel boats at North Fambridge where I was looking .. 2meter or so.
But as I have only sailed dinghys at southend I was looking at find keel for performance and a shallow draught to make it easier to navigate the river.
I'm open to suggestions.. on boats and moorings...
Have you checked out Paglesham, deep water mooring available there
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 13:52   #17

Boat: Beneteau 32s5

Hello
No I'm still looking.. and will look at it..
We're looking for a safe wet reasonable swing mooring.
Many Thanks Paul
Fastbikes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 14:46   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Its not an area which I am familiar with so can I suggest this for Xmas and spend some time reading along with a chart or two. It would be a shame to buy a yacht that was limited by the keel depth hence why twin keels are popular in the area and the Solent like ours.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/East-Coast-...st+coast+pilot

Here is Dick talking about his choice for sailing I think on the R Crouch. The boat isn't going to suit your requirements but size and depth of keel will be similar to a Contessa 28.

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 16:07   #19

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

great question..... somewhat in the same bluewater cruise myself....
Good luck

Quote:
Hello
My partner and I are looking for our 1st cruiser.
We come from dinghy sailing and would like to have a boat to sail and learn the basics of cruisers before I retire in 5 yrs time and move up to a bigger boat and cruise the med.
That's the plan.
I would like to keep the boat on the crouch and be able to cross the channel and sail the coast of England and France on occasion.
Mostly spending 4 days on the boat on my days off and the odd weeks cruising.
Dilemma: contessa 28.. good safe boat limited room
Beneteau first 32 roomy AWB.
Budget £16000.
I'm 50/50 as I would like some performance and space but also a stable safe boat.
The contessa is cheaper and a little less draught.
Any thoughts plz....
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 17:26   #20

The Contessa 28 is a very different boat from the 26 and the 32, which many of you are familiar with. It is a Peterson design. Not all Contessas were well built (some of the S&S designed 38s leaked around the decks and some 32s had hatch bedding problems). I recall in the early 1980s one Contessa 28 suspended from slings after haulout; you could waggle the bottom of the keel and see the hull around the bilge flexing. This is clearly a sample of only 1 out of ...50? that were built, but before purchasing I would get your surveyor to pay particular attention to the keel floors. (Please do not buy any boat without a pre-purchase survey)

Quote:
Hello
My partner and I are looking for our 1st cruiser.
We come from dinghy sailing and would like to have a boat to sail and learn the basics of cruisers before I retire in 5 yrs time and move up to a bigger boat and cruise the med.
That's the plan.
I would like to keep the boat on the crouch and be able to cross the channel and sail the coast of England and France on occasion.
Mostly spending 4 days on the boat on my days off and the odd weeks cruising.
Dilemma: contessa 28.. good safe boat limited room
Beneteau first 32 roomy AWB.
Budget £16000.
I'm 50/50 as I would like some performance and space but also a stable safe boat.
The contessa is cheaper and a little less draught.
Any thoughts plz....
Kim Klaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 12:34   #21

Boat: Contessa 28

From the beginning I want to admit that as an owner of a Contessa 28 I am biased. I wanted to get the CO32 but all the North America market has to offer is the CO32 Canadian build with the balsa cored deck that due to the age will need extensive repairs.
So, lazy to do repairs and afraid to trust the new designs I settled on a CO28.
I have tried the Benetau and the space on these new boats is awesome. So if you want to entertain friends and show the money toys by all means get the Benet. On the contrary if sailing is asked for the contessa will not disappoint you. When the weather gets tough especially above 12 knots the true contessa shows up. No weird moves, cracking noises, hobby horsing and no weather helm. Due to the narrow beam it goes fast and gently thru the waves. A true submarine with sails.
I raced it last year for the first time and was pleased to get ahead of most of the big commercial boats.
Remember when you buy a contessa you buy into a cult. I am saving like crazy for a new CO32. Hopefully in 5 years …. Fingers crossed.
Good Luck
GJori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 14:26   #22

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJori View Post
From the beginning I want to admit that as an owner of a Contessa 28 I am biased. I wanted to get the CO32 but all the North America market has to offer is the CO32 Canadian build with the balsa cored deck that due to the age will need extensive repairs.
So, lazy to do repairs and afraid to trust the new designs I settled on a CO28.
I have tried the Benetau and the space on these new boats is awesome. So if you want to entertain friends and show the money toys by all means get the Benet. On the contrary if sailing is asked for the contessa will not disappoint you. When the weather gets tough especially above 12 knots the true contessa shows up. No weird moves, cracking noises, hobby horsing and no weather helm. Due to the narrow beam it goes fast and gently thru the waves. A true submarine with sails.
I raced it last year for the first time and was pleased to get ahead of most of the big commercial boats.
Remember when you buy a contessa you buy into a cult. I am saving like crazy for a new CO32. Hopefully in 5 years …. Fingers crossed.
Good Luck
There's a good one for sale in NZ if you'd like a beat back across the Pacific. Check TradeMeNZ and it should come up. Asking $45k NZ Has a lot of gear too. There were 2 others but they sold, one not so good and the other had cruised in the high latitudes.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 10:40   #23

Boat: Beneteau 32s5

We are planning to view another contessa 28 and the first 32 but leaning g towards the 28.
Any thoughts on the seamaster 925?
We looked at a couple moody 31's that were in budget but they were sheds .
Fastbikes1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau