Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2010, 15:17   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 40
Beneteau Design

Firstly, I'm new and don't really know enough to comment with authority on what makes or doesn't make a good sailboat design. But...
in looking at sailboats here and elsewhere for about 2 months, I can tell what I like about 'em. I like a boat with good lines. Has to be pleasing to my eye. The deck should be uncluttered and the cockpit ( helm area ) should be roomy. I think ( since I don't own yet ) this is where I'll spend most my time. Down below should have lots of storage, roomy, comfortable, with ergonomics in mind. Colors should be neutral, but original. No sharp corners, everything rounded. The detail of a a cabinets strength and how well built it is should catch your eye.
So many boats I have looked at don't seem to fill the bill. They tend to use old staid colors. The insides of most boats look like the inside of a Winnebago ( no offense to Winnebago lovers ), but in my opinion, and again I'm new, Beneteau's do. Am I missing something, because I don't get the feeling, and this is just my impression, that they are held in high asteem. Enough said.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 15:27   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Your out to wind MarkJ up are you not..... Roflmao

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 20:02   #3

Sounds like a commercial, but I don't mind. i am a proud Beneteau owner.
ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 20:15   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

I've solo'd two Beneteau's... both under 35ft across the Atlantic West to East... the 'alledged' hard way to cross... great sails... 47 days non-stop St Martin to UK... average speed 93miles/day.... and BVI's to Portugal 30 days.... plus 3 week piss up in Horta.... well... Peters Bar was throbbing and I could not tear myself away... every time I got ready to leave someone else I knew would arrive... and it was time to celebrate another successful crossing.....
I think your talking/getting info from Dumb n Dumber...... try a different set of friends... ones who actually sail...

PS; and believe it or not.... they both had 'Furling Genoa's'

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 20-11-2010, 20:23   #5

Hey Boatman61, what is it about Beneteau's that people most dislike?
ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 20:26   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunJ View Post
Hey Boatman61, what is it about Beneteau's that people most dislike?
They hav'nt got one....???
Bit like Hunters I guess.... another 'Blue Water' slagging.... also crossed one West to East... and in very heavy weather...

Old 21-11-2010, 07:53   #7

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I own a Hunter and Beneteau of similar sizes. I do think the ergonomics of the Beneteau are better.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 15:21   #8

Boat: Hunter Legend 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Your out to wind MarkJ up are you not..... Roflmao
Boatman, is that cat your liveaboard?
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 15:36   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshephe View Post
Boatman, is that cat your liveaboard?
If you mean the black one with yellow sails... no.. I sold her in the 90's to a guy who trailed her to Ibeza where she got destroyed by a drunk on a jet bike...
'Kali' was a beaut boat...
My current boat is this... a Corribee 21.. currently being refitted
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05082009.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	21506  

Old 27-11-2010, 16:37   #10

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo
Boatman61, It appears that you have much experience with some of the "production boats"......I would like tom know what opinion you have of t he Irwin 38 center cockpit?
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 17:11   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain465 View Post
Boatman61, It appears that you have much experience with some of the "production boats"......I would like tom know what opinion you have of t he Irwin 38 center cockpit?
Sorry Cap... I'm a Brit...
The only US boat I've owned was a Hunter 37 which everyone said was a sinker... 3 had gone down in 4mths of the NC coast that year... my $25K Cherubini sweetheart carried me to the UK...
So I'm afraid I canot help you much there... also I think my opinions would clash with the majority here.. on second thoughts I know they would..
However
They look like a nice boat... pretty similar to the older Moody... till you get frwd of the mast... the accomodation is great for full time live aboard... privacy and seperate head/shower rooms makes for good hosting... if the survey is good and the price seems right for what your getting I cannot see you going far wrong... she should comfortably take you where you want to go...

Old 28-11-2010, 10:06   #12
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
With the greatest respect OP, you said it yourself you're new. Rather then forming arbitrary views, go sailing in a couple of boats. Then make a few comments. The perfect boat doesn't exist , the one you have and like does.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 10:35   #13
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Thats exactally correct, go sailing......some of the coments on this post are comming from people that dont even own a boat and have NO experance in the topic raised.........
Lets not confuse things with general bias comments.

I suppose owning a boat (in general) makes someone somehow superior to the rest of humanity - ain't that an elitist, condescending, and pretentious attitude? I suppose some of us could go out right now and spend $200k and get a 45 ft boat which would make us far superior and knowledgeable to the 40 ft bennie owners who spent $70-100k boat and blew another 100 or so K outfitting, but make us far far less superior and knowledgable to the owners that spent $201k for a 46' footer. I'ld place experience also in the above poof-dah. Who has more experience - someone who sailed coastal with a 40 foot monster with a BBQ and stereo or someone who sailed from DE to Bahamas in a Hobie 18 using a camping stove and a tent?

If you are referring to actually owning and sailing a particular model of Beneteau, and dealing with the large expense of maintenance over time then I would agree with you. But I also stated that OP should go out and see for themselves, because the lineage is again confusing. Then again I also think that strying that exercise will not help you much because there are far to many Bennie styles to effectively sail each one in a lifetime.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 11:38   #14

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Lets not confuse things with general bias comments.

I suppose owning a boat (in general) makes someone somehow superior to the rest of humanity - ain't that an elitist, condescending, and pretentious attitude? I suppose some of us could go out right now and spend $200k and get a 45 ft boat which would make us far superior and knowledgeable to the 40 ft bennie owners who spent $70-100k boat and blew another 100 or so K outfitting, but make us far far less superior and knowledgable to the owners that spent $201k for a 46' footer. I'ld place experience also in the above poof-dah. Who has more experience - someone who sailed coastal with a 40 foot monster with a BBQ and stereo or someone who sailed from DE to Bahamas in a Hobie 18 using a camping stove and a tent?

If you are referring to actually owning and sailing a particular model of Beneteau, and dealing with the large expense of maintenance over time then I would agree with you. But I also stated that OP should go out and see for themselves, because the lineage is again confusing. Then again I also think that strying that exercise will not help you much because there are far to many Bennie styles to effectively sail each one in a lifetime.
Salty
If the topic were Hobie 18, and that was your expertize, I would think the OP as well as the rest, would welcome your comments.. But its not..
The posts you are refering to have to do with Beneteaus, and you did-not start the post, You have a habbit of comming onto a post and turning it around to fit your needs and not the OP's.. concider that..
and again, you not only do not own a Beneteau, you do not own a boat so anything you post is only hear-say or of what you've read..
You may have a belief in a subject but thats about it, and many of the issues you bring up actually cause more interferance than they do addition..
I for one like your input, but would like it much more if you stuck to the dirrect knowledge you have. of which Beneteaus, you dont.
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 11:56   #15
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
I for one like your input, but would like it much more if you stuck to the dirrect knowledge you have. of which Beneteaus, you dont.
Randy...your post is referencing another thread about beneteau lineage. The issues and concerns of design, models, expense are not just restricted to beneteau owners comments. Since I was, (and maybe still am since I am fickle at the moment) considering a beneteau, my contributions there also are aligned to the subject and beneficial to the discussion. My refections are what I have found in that search and confusion - both my attempts at looking at recent ones, as well as my confusion and ill resolution on understanding of what the benefits and costs (issues) of each are.

What is the end state and deliverable there besides "Oh it works for me?" That's not something anyone can work with long term. What are you providing the the way of a final consolidated view of the history of Beneteau's models for this specific purpose? Aan you collect?

I started a list in that thread as a benefit for someone who "doesnt own a beneteau", such as the OP and myself.

I know many lists for manufacturer boats that have specific viewpoints on what models are good and what issue will be found on each one.

I have failed to find a consolidated list anywhere....anywhere...for Beneteau. Inside or outside this forum. On all the competing lists of recommended user cruising boats you find out there, only one - the Beneteau First 38 is ever mentioned.

Now...you tell me...why is that?

* note that these last two posts were the only ones in this thread. The reason is this thread is more specific to beneteau and not necessarily focused on common issues between OP and myself.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau