Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2010, 16:08   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
recent ones, as well as my confusion and ill resolution on understanding of what the benefits and costs (issues) of each are.

That's a silly way to evaluate beneteaus. The lineage isn't confusing. The " first" series has been around for some time and is generally a racer cruiser series and it has been getting more racer as time goes on. The Oceanus range has been the family cruiser range and there is a simple model progression , lately with the arrival of the budget Cyclades range beneteau is reaffirming the oceanus nomenclature.

Really just decide on approximate length cost and year of build and go And look at them don't worry about the family history. There all mostly similar.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 16:10   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Instead of agonizing about it in the abstract, I suggest you should charter one and gain actual experience. I did, twice, on two different seas. I found them perfectly usable.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 16:38   #18
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
...The " first" series has been around for some time and is generally a racer cruiser series and it has been getting more racer as time goes on....
Yes, but the point here is where does it become less grey. 1985? 86? The 38 First might considered a classic ocean cruiser in the 80's - less so now?

The Oceanis has also been around for some time, but I do believe the Beneteau or the Oceanis series was not always deemed as kindly, so thus the reviewed have metioned in research?

Charter? The older boats are not to be found, and this is what I can only afford.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 16:57   #19
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Yes, but the point here is where does it become less grey. 1985? 86? The 38 First might considered a classic ocean cruiser in the 80's - less so now?
Grey who cares. The first perception is to get rid of the idea that the " first" are really more suitable cruises then oceanus lines. It's horses for courses.

I just don't understand what your trying to do by establishing a lineage. It doesn't make sense beneteaus don't particulary follow a family tree there's often different designers used within a set if similar boats production process changes etc. Why bother trying to establish linage.

Dave
Old 28-11-2010, 17:36   #20
cruiser

Perhaps you are quite correct - there is no growth or change along a line you can see. I can understand that point better now. But it would serve the community if we had some overall rating on each one - some stronger preferences for one over the other and those qualified reasons. They cannot all be "The best boat your money can buy". Its hard to remember whats what yet alone getting a surveyors review on each one.
Old 28-11-2010, 17:48   #21
Nearly an old salt

There is growth along a line for example take their near 40 footers over the years beneteau have introduced changes, improvements and incorporated technical advances.

But trying to find the "best"beneteau is meaningless. What's best for you I may hate and this is true of all boats yachts are compromises and that means there really mo " best" and no " worse" it's a personal preference thing.

DAve
Old 28-11-2010, 17:51   #22

GPSHEPHE,
If you have any specific questions regarding the 432 Beneteau, I will try to answer them. My 432 is an '87 hull #004
ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 18:12   #23
cruiser

OK thanks shawn. This is a 1987. Can you tell me if this has evolved either up to 87 and beyond. And what has changed in the design if so. Lets hear some history about the 432

Now specifically, did any previous owner or yourself have to perform any modifications to the boat to bring it to bluewater capability? Here we are talking structural issues in the hull including rigging etc, and also modifications to the living arrangement and tankage for example. This is different than adding a wind generator for example.

Can you identify for us any other maintenance issues, such as stress breakage in the welds of a gooseneck; backplate issues, screws, chainplate leakages and seperation etc?

How does she perform - positive and negative - and in what wind and sea conditions?

and so on.
Old 28-11-2010, 18:16   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
But trying to find the "best"beneteau is meaningless. What's best for you I may hate and this is true of all boats yachts are compromises and that means there really mo " best" and no " worse" it's a personal preference thing.
No, i dont think so. There are some truly classic best rated cruisers out there that are well known by many of us and not *all under a particular manufacturer. Why not the Beneteau having a fair reputation in the classic category for a few of these ex: 40.5, F 38, F 35?
Old 28-11-2010, 18:37   #25

As far as i know 1987 was the first year for the 432. This model was built for the Moorings Charter fleet.
The only major work done on her was new keel bolts and a new Yanmar engine. The keel bolts seem to be a problem, as all the older ones I looked at needed these replaced. From what I gather they are only about $300 for the bolts but cost about $5000 or so to replace. The engine was replaced because of the amount of hours on it. This work was done by the PO.
I have only had her for 2 month, so I don't have a lot of time sailing her. She does sail fairly well in light winds (4kts) and when sailing in 20knots she seemed stable and straight.
She holds 60 gal of fuel and 220 of fresh water with a 60gal holding tank.
I had her surveyed before buying and the surveyor said she was in great condition even though she is 23 years old.
ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 19:01   #26
cruiser

The bolts I wonder about, and the amount of effort to replace. Since I never had a boat that had bolted keels, I wonder about how to go about that replacement on your own. Maybe because she might have been a moorings charter at one time there were other issues?

Thats a LOT of water capacity. Fuel capacity seems small though. Engine replacement just happens unless you are extremely fussy about preventive maintenance.

Tags
beneteau