Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2011, 09:16   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Big advantage of a cutter rig for safety is that the staysail is a fantastic, built-in, always-ready storm jib. On many cutter-rigged boats, the staysail is self-tacking, too, which is a fantastic workload reducer in heavy weather. I think on most cutter-rigged boats the staysail is made from extra-heavy canvas to make it good as a storm jib.
Clearly, were I to succumb to the temptations to go with a larger boat--and someone would just about have to give me a Taswell 58 for this to happen--it would have to be a cutter rig where the staysail was self-tacking. That makes a lot more sense for something in the 50'+ range.
Old 25-01-2011, 14:22   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Clearly, were I to succumb to the temptations to go with a larger boat--and someone would just about have to give me a Taswell 58 for this to happen--it would have to be a cutter rig where the staysail was self-tacking. That makes a lot more sense for something in the 50'+ range.
Bingo. That's our boat - a cutter rig with a cut genoa (more like a yankee) and self taking staysail, both roller furling headsails, in boom furling (a lot safer than in-mast), and an electric winch, makes ALL the difference in the world. We double-hand all the time. Being honest, other people get in the way.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 16:59   #18
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Ive sailed B50;s and taken them through some tough weather, Id be a disenting voice on sailing it with a couple. Its a big boat, with a big main and the loads are big. It can be done, but with a experienced couple. I dont beleive a women would have teh upper body strength ( in general) to handle manual winching under pressure on that boat.

I also cant see why two people need something that big, This is a four cabin boat. Very good engine access though

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 18:56   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
what!!!! only got hanked on sails,can drop solo single handed in an instant though am now fitting this
;http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post604870
bigger boats under sailed still doing 6-7 knots with out pushing it
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 19:45   #20

Boat: Hunter 49
My family and I sail a Hunter 49 and have no problem handling it. Our kids are small so often I am basically sailing solo while the Admiral takes care of them. My five year old first mate mans the electric wench for me.

As others have stated the only downside is piloting her in close quarters, but with the bow thruster even that is pretty easy considering her size. You just have to remember to take it really slow.
KiteRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 20:25   #21

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Ive sailed B50;s and taken them through some tough weather, Id be a disenting voice on sailing it with a couple. Its a big boat, with a big main and the loads are big. It can be done, but with a experienced couple. I dont beleive a women would have teh upper body strength ( in general) to handle manual winching under pressure on that boat.

I also cant see why two people need something that big, This is a four cabin boat. Very good engine access though

Dave
I just find the Beneteau 50 such an easy boat to sail solo. The headsail winches are very convenient inside the cockpit. In the nastiest weather just a tiny bit of furled headsail and the Ben 50 will go anywhere. At 15 tonne it is comfortable in very big seas. Has a good Raymarine auto helm. I've been in 60 Kn of wind and big seas solo and felt very comfortable.
lordgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:07   #22

Boat: Jeanneua 36
Re: Beneteau 50

iv sailed a68fter(ketch)for years and loved it,many miles single handed.if you thingk about reefing do it,a reefed big boat still sails like a train in any thing over 20knts or so.go for it,the comfort facter is amazing;(so is the cost facter)
bigpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:47   #23

Boat: In Research Mode-Nothing Yet

Im following, with facination, the conversation about boat size, cutter vs sloop, sail area under a blow, etc. While a lot of the responses are awesome they don't address, or wander away from Harborage's post, specifically on the Beneteau 50. I've had my on one for a while but I keep getting turned away by other sailors who don't feel comfortable in a late model Bene. I talked to a broker yesterday who told me he had a bene's keel fall off during a ride down the east coast. That's pretty serious stuff. (he didn't say if he ran aground or what condition the keel was in, however, becouse he was on a roll bashing Bene's. So I took exception to the comment.
Bene's are very, very accessible right now and I wonder if I bought one, could I overcome some of the quality issues by beefing up the rigging, ports, keel, steerage, etc.? Or is the boat fine the way it is and just needs to be sailed by gentle hands?
Reducing the canvas is just one obvious solution.

In otherwords, can this cruising condo (no offense, just repeating what some other call it) be outfitted to be a reliable bluewater passage maker? I emphasize the word "reliable" because there are lots of stories of the boat crossing the atlantic, but I haven't seen on youtube or read here how they really handle, when the after a read sky in the morning. I know, I know...why do that when you can by a Moody that's already well built. My answer is cause I can get a Bene 50 for <$150k vs >$500K for a Moody.
Is my thinking wacky? It seems logical to get a less expensive boat and, over time, build it up to something to recken with. Easier on the wallet, and fun to accomplish. If it can be done. Maybe the Bene's infrastructure doesn't lend itself for this. I don't know. Just sayin.
Thanks
sorry for butting in
Sailcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:08   #24

" I haven't seen on youtube or read here how they really handle, when the after a read sky in the morning."

should read, "I haven't seen on YouTube or read here, how they really handle after a "red sky in the morning." (so much for being clever)

Now that I've corrected this, I see that, while I was posting, other Bene owners/sailors were posting comments on handling. Thanks, the comments are reassuring.
Old 02-10-2011, 14:04   #25

The Beneteau 50 built up to 2003/4 is the best hull ever. It is the 53fhull Bruce farr designed and is super strong. The comments previous about Beneteaus and keels probably refers to the later charter model the Cyclades. I am told that they changed designer and built to a price for the charter market. For me I am going to buy again and it willbe a Benetea 50 pre 2004. They are well priced in Tortola BVIand in Croatia as they come out of the charter fleet. As to size, mycomment is that around 50 foot and 15 tonne they are very easy to handly solo. Have a small amount of headsail and everything can be controlled from the safety of the cockpit. I have been in 60+ knots and big seas and have velt very secure.The space below is very comfortable.
Old 02-10-2011, 14:26   #26

Great to hear this. I'm going to review an Oceanis 50 very soon. A 2000 model. The owner wants a lot of money for it, compared to others but has made some enhancements that may justify the bump up. I'll see what soon. Thank you.
Old 02-10-2011, 14:34   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailcat View Post
Great to hear this. I'm going to review an Oceanis 50 very soon. A 2000 model. The owner wants a lot of money for it, compared to others but has made some enhancements that may justify the bump up. I'll see what soon. Thank you.
There is one for sail at the moment that has been tricked up. She is called Southern Comfort. It is a former Moorings 505 out of Tortola. I saw her in 2005. looks like a nice boat.
Have a look here for the ex charter boats.

Exclusive In-House Brokerage Offices
Old 02-10-2011, 14:48   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailcat View Post
Bene's are very, very accessible right now and I wonder if I bought one, could I overcome some of the quality issues by beefing up the rigging, ports, keel, steerage, etc.? Or is the boat fine the way it is and just needs to be sailed by gentle hands?
Reducing the canvas is just one obvious solution.
Remember that in France sailing isn't a hobby or a pastime, it's a fanatical religion.

They don't build slow boats and their top sailors are worshipped like gods.

Whilst I might think twice about attempting the North West passage or the Magellan Straits in a Beneteau, there is a lot of water in between were you would be just fine.

MarkJ has just been around the world in a 39ft Bene and Phil (Boatman61) brought a 31 back across the pond without too much trouble. We came very close to shared ownership in a 323, but the figures didn't stack up, nothing to do with the yacht.

The boat will be fine as is and no need to be gentle. It's interesting that Sunsail have whole fleets of them and they stand up to ham fisted charters. whilst they will have got a good discount on bulk buys they will have also done their homework. Would you risk your business empire on a make of yacht that didn't offer excellent reliability?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 15:08   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

For the money that the ex charter ones are going for I cannot see a better big cruising boat. They'd probably need a few boat bucks more to get them into RTW condition though.

Most look to lack dodgers, solar panels would need to be added, and it may be prudent to replace some, if not all, of the rigging. Things like backup autopilot and plotter, RIB, anchor/chain and liferaft would add to the cost.

I've never heard of any problems with the design, but I'd imaging that after 5 or 6 years in charter a very good survey would be essential.

Those big ex charter Beneteaus are top of my list for a boat if we want to keep going after Asia. Big, fast, roomy and a third the price of a "classic" cruising yacht the same size.

Perfect for the Pacific.

Someone tell me I'm dreaming.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 17:59   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
For the money that the ex charter ones are going for I cannot see a better big cruising boat. They'd probably need a few boat bucks more to get them into RTW condition though.

Most look to lack dodgers, solar panels would need to be added, and it may be prudent to replace some, if not all, of the rigging. Things like backup autopilot and plotter, RIB, anchor/chain and liferaft would add to the cost.

I've never heard of any problems with the design, but I'd imaging that after 5 or 6 years in charter a very good survey would be essential.

Those big ex charter Beneteaus are top of my list for a boat if we want to keep going after Asia. Big, fast, roomy and a third the price of a "classic" cruising yacht the same size.

Perfect for the Pacific.

Someone tell me I'm dreaming.
Boracay. No you are not dreaming. I agree.Add a few luxuries like maybe watermaker, wind gen, Solar Panel, Don'tknow that you need a dodger in the pacific but that is a personal choice. My Ben 50 always stayed dry in the cockpit. I would put a bigger Bimini that gives some shade at the Helm/Stern.
They have a nice little electric fridge to swith on when you want to cool 6 cans of beer.
The rigging is built like a brick outhouse, loads of water storage, 1000Lt, and good fuel storage 2X250Lt.
Magic for tooling around the Pacific. I did about 12,000NM between Europe and Oz on my Ben 50.

Tags
beneteau