Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2017, 12:32   #16

Boat: Boatless
Re: Beneteau 48 ocean crossing capability

I have drunk beer with several Beneteau owners who cross oceans. They have had no more or less trouble than owners of heavily built boats like my Tayana. Mark is a a shining example of how if you match good seamanship with a Beneteau you can cross oceans.

In 2014 two Beneteau's sank crossing the Atlantic, Cheeki Rafiki and Blue Pearl both had major structural failure, one lost its keel and one lost its steering system when the arse-end fell off the boat. In both cases the boats had been grounded hard and/or had structural repairs.

Bolt on keels and spade rudders do not take well to hitting reefs! So buy a boat like Mark's which, he will assure you, has never touched the bottom!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 15:15   #17

Unprotected spade rudder. Before you go offshore have someone build a bolt on the back put together emergency tiller. Test it b4 you go. Have someone check your keel bolts and age of standing rigging. Went offshore once in 1990 430 that subsequently lost its rudder. The tangs let go and rudder fell apart off the stock. Other thing about that model was the fact the bulkheads are only tabbed to hull and deck and offshore with the boat flexing in big seas the whole thing sounds like it is falling apart. However I would agree with others here that say the boat can often take more than the crew can.
bill99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 16:54   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 54

Hi, I sailed my 54 from Croatia to New Zealand through some pretty horrible stuff and not one thing failed or gave me concern . Check everything before you go then head to sea for the adventure of a lifetime . Good Luck
watevaworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 20:52   #19

Boat: Destroyed AMEL SUPER MARAMU

I have crossed the Atlantic from W to E in a Beneteau 43, 2009. No problem it´s a fine boat. But now I bought an AMEL SM to cross from E to W. I feel more safety! Nevertheless I think you have a good option. Make a good professional survey
Old 21-07-2017, 04:37   #20

Boat: Catalina 470

The problem is most people that give you advise regarding this topic have no idea, they are just repeating what their mate said.
Modern mass produced productions boats both monos and cats are crossing oceans every year in more numbers than supposedly more traditional Water boats">blue water boats.
Prepare your boat and yourself properly and the answer is yes.
In my travels ive seen them safely arrive in many harbours with no more or less problems than any other boat.
In fact in my current anchorage the two boats that are having issues are both custom boats, yet two lagoons left fully intacted for the second half of their indian ocean passage. Im not saying the lagoons are better, im saying all boats have issues, beneteaus no more than any other.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 06:46   #21

Boat: Scout 30

Be sure to check the keel bolts and pan and for a gap between the front end of the keel & the hull or evidence of a repair there.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 07:04   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've solo'd a Bene 321 and the 331 across the Atlantic from St Martin to the UK.. the first a non stop trip.
Short of structural failures (which a halfway decent surveyor will spot) you should have no problems.
In general they build a good cruising boat.. its the First Series that have race abuse tend to drastic failures
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 11:36   #23

For the $14 it costs, I would run John Vigor's diagnostic.

For each low score area do some extra inspection & also failure scenario planning. Have a plan for each worked out beforehand. This is well worth a couple days of your time.

The quote "replace the standing rigging before you circumnavigate and after you get back" may also fit into your prep.

From the book jacket- "Take the unique diagnostic questionnaire to determine whether your boat is capable of offshore sailing, then let John Vigor show you step by step how to get there, as he covers everything from structural modifications and reinforcements to rigging, engines, systems, and gear. Whether you're planning an offshore voyage or just dreaming of one, The Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat is the perfect guide.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 15:04   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonsailor View Post
I have over 20,000 NM on my 2008 beneteau 46, couple of fairly rough Ocean crossings (50 knot winds for a little while). I think the boat handles things very well. The boat is a great platform for sailing and longer term cruising. It was a good deal drier and more comfortable than my J42 was in similar conditions. I would not be worried about it as long as I had prepared the boat and crew properly (good sails, good maintenance, good safety and communication Equipment, and good sailors). In my view, the preparation issues go with every boat.
Att
splawik26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, ocean crossing