Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2012, 13:29   #1

Boat: Bowman 46
Beneteau 473 Shoal vs. Deep Draft

I'm considering buying a Beneteau 473 to replace Aurelia and I have a couple of questions. I can buy the boat in one of four configurations: 1. shoal draft & roller furling main, 2. shoal draft & conventional main, 3. deep draft and roller furling main, 4. deep draft and conventional main. My guess is that the sailing performance of these four configurations would, from best to worse, be 4, 3, 2, 1.

Can anyone comment on the relative differences in upwind performance of these four configurations? I'm not concerned about draft. The 6'11" of the deep draft configurations is fine with me.

Thanks in advance,

Steve
Bowman Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 16:16   #2

Boat: Explorer 45
Send a message via Skype™ to Brazil
You already put in the correct order. Fourth being the fastest .
Brazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 16:30   #3

Boat: MacNaughton/Kjellander 57
Re: Beneteau 473 shoal vs. deep draft

I think the difference between 1 and 4 is less than 10%. It might feel more when you'r overtaken by a faster boat but...the difference is still small.

Johan, S/Y Bird of Passage, noe in Scotland
BirdoPassage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 16:40   #4

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Shoal Draft for us ! rather give up a little speed to get into the places I like to anchor up in ! Just our 2 cents, either set of sails, but at my age would probly go with roller everything if it was shoal draft
Old 01-06-2012, 01:49   #5

Boat: Bowman 40
Send a message via Skype™ to steve.garlick

Totally off the point, but as the new owner of a Bowman 40, I'm curious why you would go from a Bowman 46 to a Beneteau? Just interested in your reasoning.

Regards,

Steve
steve.garlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:16   #6

Steve,

Please PM me regarding my reasons for so drastic a change.

Steve
Old 01-06-2012, 04:44   #7

Boat: gozzard 44

Why not tell us all? We're interested.
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:34   #8

Why not, in deed. I wasn't trying to be mercurial.

I've owned the Bowman since 1992 and I want something different - call it the 20 year itch. My sailing plans for the next five years include daytime traveling on the Chesapeake Bay and tributaries with a few forays into North Carolina via the ICW. The 473 is big enough and comfortable enough for these ambitions. She also has plenty of sister ships out there, so I should be able to predict her depreciation over the next five years.

The Bowman is an awesome sea boat. She'll never hurt you offshore and she'll take you where ever your dreams carry you. Owning her made sense 20 years ago when I had great plans for water sailing">blue water sailing. At this stage in my life, however, I want a "newish", simpler boat to service my greatly reduced sailing needs. I've also just spent three years of my life removing Aurelia's teak deck and this ordeal has washed away all of the joy of ownership. It's just time for a change.

Hope that helps.

Steve
Old 01-06-2012, 07:40   #9

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Steve

I have a Catalina 470 with a wing keel and a roller furling boom. Our PHRF is the same as the Beneteau 473

My opinion for what it is worth is that on my paticular boat I gave up about 5 degrees of pointing ability (Close Hauled) when I went with the wing over the full keel. The difference in draft between the wing and full keels was 2' 2".

The roller furling main (Leisure Furl) has six battons. Sailing with sister ships and other comparatible boats (Beneteau 473 for example), we do very well and sometimes better than the traditional rigged boats and certainly better tan the "in mast" roller furlers, due to the battons. The rig is very easy to use and can be reefed under load. The only time I leave the cockpit is to rig the Asymetrical Spinnaker

Describing what you are planning to use the boat for over the next five years, I would recommend a shoal keel for the ICW and for conveniance a roller furler boom unit.

Good Luck!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:06   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

As a performance sailor i would have to choose the deep keel and the traditional (fully battened) mainsail with a Tide Marine Tough Track on the mast..............BUT why not join the Bennie group and ask your question there and see what sort of replies you get and justification for their choices...........I would have thought that if you are going to use the ICW then the shoal draft keel must have some serious advantages/benefits. I would love our 461 to have the 9 foot draft lead keel that i had on my First 456 ..... doubly so now as after having the RIB and outboard stolen while at anchor - http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ise-81809.html - in future as part of our increased security procedures we will not be the nearest boat to the shore.
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 18:09   #11

Boat: Beneteau 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Fling
As a performance sailor i would have to choose the deep keel and the traditional (fully battened) mainsail with a Tide Marine Tough Track on the mast..............BUT why not join the Bennie group and ask your question there and see what sort of replies you get and justification for their choices...........I would have thought that if you are going to use the ICW then the shoal draft keel must have some serious advantages/benefits. I would love our 461 to have the 9 foot draft lead keel that i had on my First 456 ..... doubly so now as after having the RIB and outboard stolen while at anchor - http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ise-81809.html - in future as part of our increased security procedures we will not be the nearest boat to the shore.
Deep draft rocks! I love when we go upwind like a TRAIN on our lead keel deep draft Frers First 456! But then I guess it all depends on your cruising grounds. For us in the caribbean it is no big deal to have deep draft.
avazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 18:23   #12

Boat: Beneteau 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by avazquez

Deep draft rocks! I love when we go upwind like a TRAIN on our lead keel deep draft Frers First 456! But then I guess it all depends on your cruising grounds. For us in the caribbean it is no big deal to have deep draft.
Deep draft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2457707114.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	56566   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4261969610.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	56567  

avazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 20:43   #13

Re: Beneteau 473 Shoal vs. Deep Draft

I'm buying a beneteau 461 with a draft of 5foot 7 . Would this be consider medium draft? Does anybody know what other options ther are and how ha d is it to modify?
David powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 22:18   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 45,2

The charter company I was working after 2008-2009 starts to buy some of her beneteau with shoal draft .
I had worked with both of version (all of them had furled main ) and yes there isn't to much deference between them !! Many regular customers can't understand the difference when they charter deferent version
But for some people that deferent it's enough to go for the deep keel..
Also from my perspective the good sailing shape of a full battened can't compare with any furling..(my opinion )

Take the number 4!!!
Stakaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 18:32   #15

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

run silent, run deep
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau