Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2015, 17:38   #76

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Beneteau 46 - for circumnavigation?

[QUOTE=carstenb;1975386]Why the discussion about the windows at all?

Because everybody seems to think that they blow out, inward. When I believe they blow out, outward. I gather most port failures happen when you fall off a wave onto the side of your cabin, the cabin compresses and the windows pop out.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 00:02   #77

[QUOTE=Guy;1976169]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Why the discussion about the windows at all?

Because everybody seems to think that they blow out, inward. When I believe they blow out, outward. I gather most port failures happen when you fall off a wave onto the side of your cabin, the cabin compresses and the windows pop out.
Either way, both scenarios tell a story of inadequate construction for the purpose.
If a window/porthole/hatch isn't equally as strong as the part of the hull/deck it is mounted in, and that includes the mounting, it becomes the weakest link. It'll give up first.

Best,

Jack.
Jack Verschuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:57   #78

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

[QUOTE=Jack Verschuur;1976347]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post

Either way, both scenarios tell a story of inadequate construction for the purpose.
If a window/porthole/hatch isn't equally as strong as the part of the hull/deck it is mounted in, and that includes the mounting, it becomes the weakest link. It'll give up first.

Best,

Jack.
I couldn't agree more. My point was that this is something that can happen (to virtually any boat) and therefore a prudent skipper has thought this through and prepared for it.

Are Bene's and Jeanneaus and Bavaria (and others) more prone to do this? I don't think so - at least I haven't heard of this happening for multitudes of sailors.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:11   #79

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Benetaus are designed for mass production? Mass production is not a market (like charter) it means that they made many boats of the same model.

Regarding Beneteaus being designed for the charter market it is a misconception. Regarding any Beneteau model the ones that are bought for charter are an important number but does not represent more than 25% of the number of the total of boats sold of a given model (normally are way less than that).

That means that the models are not designed specifically for the charter market but given the number of the boats sold for that market (25% is, regarding some models, more than 150 boats) they propose special interior layouts for charter.

Not only Beneteau are great charter boats. What makes a good charter boat is a very good performance, durability, interior quality and design for a price. Beneteaus are great boats for the price but Bavaria are as popular as Beneteau on the charter market.

Regarding what they are designed for it is for the biggest possible type of sailors and sailors needs (main market cruisers), from staying and living most of the time on a marina, for coastal cruising and depending on the size, for offshore cruising or blue-water cruising.

It is a general purpose boat and one that with some few simple modifications and additional equipment can be used (and is used) for long range cruising.
Beneteau does design specifically for the charter market. Why else would they make a 36 foot boat with three staterooms, just look at the number of heads you can get on a 45 foot boat! What makes a great charter boat is interior volume, low price, and a huge cockpit. Quality is not important as the boats are only in the primary market for around 3 years, then another 3 or so in the second tier market.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:11   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
Beneteau does design specifically for the charter market. Why else would they make a 36 foot boat with three staterooms, just look at the number of heads you can get on a 45 foot boat! What makes a great charter boat is interior volume, low price, and a huge cockpit. Quality is not important as the boats are only in the primary market for around 3 years, then another 3 or so in the second tier market.
I beg to differ. Why would a builder devalue their brand by deliberately making a sub standard product. A charter company has to make money, if the product they decide to use is of poor quality their name is sullied and they go out of business. Charter Company want boats that are reliable and fitted with quality equipment, everyday a boat is out of service having repairs is lost income, you loose enough income you go out of business. If your clients are unhappy with your product they don't come back and will tell all that will listen how bad you are and you go out of business. A boat put into charter has to be up to the task, yes they get well used so need to be able to stand up to use and abuse. The only difference is the interior layout. Charter companies like more bunks but you will also find owners versions in charter. Layout doesn't mean poorly constructed, my preference as a cruiser is more cabins as it makes storage easier and gives me a workshop.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:34   #81

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
I guess you are talking about the new 35 and 38? Look at the number of owners already on this forum and the huge number of boats sold on US and Europe. The ones that are sold to charter are just a small minority.

Mind you that I am not saying it is a bad design, I think the opposite, just saying that it makes no sense to say a boat is designed for charter when the vast majority of boats are bought for private use.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:26   #82

Boat: Seafarer36c

What has happened to Beneteau since Ferenc Mate wrote about them? Are the Beneteau's from before whatever happened still really nice boats?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, circumnavigation, navigation