Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2015, 07:37   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Beneteau 38...the wife loves it!

There are other attributes in the Oceanis 35/38 that make them stand out. Need a "proper cabin"? The aft cabin in both are large compared to the Jeanneau and others of their size. The cockpit on both are huge. Twin wheels and rudders coupled with that far-forward starting chine lend a new performance dynamic. That wide beam continued all the way aft translates to better performance off the wind with an asymmetrical. AND you can tweak the interior to your mood. Buy the cruiser with all components and just plug and play as your needs for the boat dictate over the time of your ownership. Resale is where it gets interesting as that interior modular feature could logically help you sell that boat sooner when it's time for you to move on to something else.

Did you see that the 35 has a swing keel option?

The only problem I see with these boats is that there will be only a small number of them available for me to buy second hand.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:46   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Re: Beneteau 38...the wife loves it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
"2000"?
Yes it is a 2000 year model with, Genset, Single aft cabin, all the Bells and Whistles and priced below $100K. Oceanis 381 built in US in Marion, SC. Hope this clears up your confusion !!
Smooth Sailing into the New Year, Rick
RickDelaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 18:01   #18

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuckleDragger View Post
I'd take his Beneteau 38 over your much smaller 31 offshore any time...
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 18:40   #19

How many keels have fallen off Cape Dory 31s recently?
Old 03-01-2015, 21:32   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

My concerns above the basic construction ones have to do with the usability while heeled. Where are the handholds? Is the cabinet by the stove of strong enough construction that you could install a galley belt and a stove fend-off rail? Look on the undersides of the sail tracks and cleats: how are they backed up? Is the anchor roller strong, or are you going only marina to marina or mooring? How is the engine access? Does it have a saildrive or shaft?

Buying a boat is the same as buying a motor home, except that the water environment is more hazardous to humans than land. Often, we on CF see examples of people who seem to take on a boat like any other possession, but since what works flat in a marina doesn't necessarily work well while sailing and heeling, those changes may well turn off your wife, even though she likes its looks.

Ann
Old 04-01-2015, 16:34   #21

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
My concerns above the basic construction ones have to do with the usability while heeled. Where are the handholds? Is the cabinet by the stove of strong enough construction that you could install a galley belt and a stove fend-off rail? Look on the undersides of the sail tracks and cleats: how are they backed up? Is the anchor roller strong, or are you going only marina to marina or mooring? How is the engine access? Does it have a saildrive or shaft?

Buying a boat is the same as buying a motor home, except that the water environment is more hazardous to humans than land. Often, we on CF see examples of people who seem to take on a boat like any other possession, but since what works flat in a marina doesn't necessarily work well while sailing and heeling, those changes may well turn off your wife, even though she likes its looks.

Ann
All great points. It just appears to be a lively, fast, modern boat, comfortable, pleasing boat which might be just great for our upcoming needs. Coastal cruising, island hopping over to Bahamas, etc.. Not Cape Horn or Artic passages.
Lots of more research for us before we take the next plunge!
Thanks all for your input.
KeepInTune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 18:21   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
How many keels have fallen off Cape Dory 31s recently?
Probably the same number that have fallen off the Beneteau 38.
Zero. What was your point?
KnuckleDragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 18:56   #23
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepInTune View Post
….. Coastal cruising, island hopping over to Bahamas, etc.. Not Cape Horn or Artic passages.
yes lots of blue water sailors in the arctic and around cape horn.!!

she will takes you where typical ocean cruisers go. in 40N to 40S, yet she was crafted to equally handle 50N marketplaces

Its interior merely follows the trends in interiors in Europe and elsewhere, dark is out, laminates and smooth is in etc etc

dave
Old 04-01-2015, 19:19   #24

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Seems like every thread out there with a boat in it is it's not my boat your boat sucks. For sure this is getting old.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 19:31   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
yes lots of blue water sailors in the arctic and around cape horn.!!

she will takes you where typical ocean cruisers go. in 40N to 40S, yet she was crafted to equally handle 50N marketplaces

Its interior merely follows the trends in interiors in Europe and elsewhere, dark is out, laminates and smooth is in etc etc

dave
I meant, this is where my wife and I are planning on sailing. Meaning, nothing too rough or far and away. That's all. I'm sure a 38 is very capable well, well beyond where I plan on sailing.
Old 04-01-2015, 20:19   #26

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I don't think the previous posters were inferring that the Bene you are looking at is not a capable boat. You could put that boy on autopilot, jump off, and she would sail a straight line to France by herself.

What I think is being inferred is the importance of comfort and safety under sail. When you are sailing in the BVI, if you have been on a charter, the sails are short (like maybe an hour to three hours). So, a wide open floor plan on any boat works fine.

We are coastal cruisers and soon to be Bahamas cruisers but we quickly escalated from short day sails to multi-night passages down the coast, in order to take advantage of prevailing winds and weather windows. As it turns out, we kinda like it as its easier for us than the ICW. Since we double-hand, its imperative that we get a good sleep, that its easy for us to use the head, to cook, and move about the boat.

For US, this means lots of robust hand holds, places to lean on both a port and starboard tack, etc. For example, our head is on the starboard side of the boat and the toilet faces to the port. Our builder included a very good handhold right where you need it so when you are sitting on the head, you can stay in place.

Personally, we love our boat (not saying it should be YOUR boat or that our boat is better) but what we have been though (and its all been pretty mild) has shown us that an open plan would in no way work for us.

Maybe the builder has an option for handholds they don't show in the pics, you should ask. If not, you can add them for not that many boat bucks but be sure to make them robust. Usually a yard can do that type of work during commissioning.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 20:27   #27

Boat: Able 50

Could that flimsy forward bulkhead stop the hull from torqueing ?
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 20:48   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuckleDragger View Post
Probably the same number that have fallen off the Beneteau 38.
Zero. What was your point?
I think you know perfectly well what my point was.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:09   #29

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Could that flimsy forward bulkhead stop the hull from torqueing ?
So many engineers on the forum who knew....

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:48   #30

Update: As it turns out,....the wife "...meh...sort of likes it..."!

We made it to the Strictly Sail Miami last month and was able to finally view the new Beneteau 38. It's a lovely boat, lovely lines, and it just look fast. However, when we went below we were both somewhat underwhelmed from our expectations. Don't get me wrong, it was a very, very nice boat however it turned out to be just a little too minimalist for both of our taste and maybe not a fit for our needs. Also, having just spent 1-week cruising the coast in another monohull, out 15 nm or so to the gulf-stream in nice 10-ft swells and around the coast for 5 days, it just didn't seem that the B 38 had that sense of solid feel to it below --in that it felt more like a solid day cruiser. I'm sure it is solid, just my sense.

Now, I'm not bashing this boat at all and I would own one in a heart beat if I could and still may. Just that my hands on impressions (opinion) from attending the boat show, walking onboard and getting the impressions from my wife ended up not matching up with her (and my) initial intrigue. It really came across as a great effective day-sailor vs cruiser. However, one would be so lucky to own and sail this boat as a cruiser, as it would be capable and enjoyable no matter my first impressions.

I'd love to give it a 2-day test drive to give me the real empirical evidence that is needed for a proper and fair assessment.

Cheers!

Tags
beneteau