Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2015, 21:01   #451

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1
Re: Beneteau 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerobarros View Post
FDM, what's that for an anchor? I have a Delta, but heard the Spade is better. Your thoughts....
Cheers
Looks like a Mantus to me. I have a Fortress (Danforth style), which works great in our sandy bottoms around here in San Diego and is far lighter than most anchors. It's unfortunately too light for the bow roller, as it won't fall by itself when the windlass is let out.

I believe that Mantus is recommended for rocky bottoms?

On my last boat, I got into the habit of anchoring off the stern, which in high-windage boats will prevent them from "sailing" (hunting) at anchor and allows you to use a patch of the roller furling jib as an anchor sail to keep the boat steady against the wind. The stern anchor also works well for fore-aft moorings which are common here in So. cal. I'll use the Fortress for the stern anchor because it's so light, and keep the heavy anchor on the bow roller.
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 21:03   #452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluer de Mer View Post
FYI, I had a 1/2" thick flat cutting board made that fits on top of stove that creates more counter space when not using the burners. Cost was $20 and fits within stove walls so doesn't rattle or slide out when underway.
What material you used?
homerobarros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 21:05   #453

Boat: O38 & J24

Anchor points: The boat came with a stock Danforth and it simply would not work here in the Bay...we used it over several weeks but it would constantly drag, break free, or not dig in. The dealer swapped it out with what you see in the photo above...a #44 Ronca Anchor. Bottom line is that the Ronca has worked like a charm. Bites into the seabed every time so far (we've used it only about 12 times.) The hoop is designed to always keep the spade of the anchor pointed down so that it will dig into the seabed (another good feature is that it is capable of attaching a trip line/buoy for rocky seabed areas where the hook could be snagged). I've written elsewhere that this boat needs an anchor snubber because of its high freeboard which acts like a sail. If you don't have one, get one because the mass of the boat really does put significant strain on the roller and/or windlass. BTW, our first snubber had a standard 3/4 inch chain hook yet it had a propensity to fall off so I purchased a Mantus hook and it has not fallen off as of yet. Separately, because of our strong tides/currents here we had the unfortunate and stressful experience over Easter break of getting the anchor rode wrapped around our 7' deep keel while anchored in deeper water than usual. Luckily we were able to disentangle it by walking the line carefully around the boat. After this, I made a simple 15 foot, eight pound anchor kellet/sentinel which has kept the rode vertical and away from the keel and we have not had a recurrence. FdM
Fluer de Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 21:11   #454

White Cutting Boards - Commercial Quality Custom Sized Boards - CuttingBoardCompany.com

1/2 Inch WHITE Cutting Board
(Short Side: 12, and Short Side Fraction: 3/4, Long Side: 19, and Long Side Fraction: 1/2, Edge Style: Bullnose (rounded), Corner Style: Rounded)
Old 14-04-2015, 10:15   #455

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

So it turns out that my alternator issue was just a fuze that nobody knew about. I'll find out exactly where it was from the Dealer's electrician and post an update. Very happy that it was a quick fix.
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 13:26   #456

Can anyone confirm in the cruiser version with a forward pack the your boat arrived with 2 stools in the saloon. When our boat arrived they were not on boat or in boxes . They are in contract and in the literature stating "2 stools in saloon" . Allowing seating for 6 and conversion of sette to sleeping area with shorter table legs and cushion. Dealer has calls to factory.
Thanks Ed
aspenripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 13:53   #457

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspenripper View Post
Can anyone confirm in the cruiser version with a forward pack the your boat arrived with 2 stools in the saloon. When our boat arrived they were not on boat or in boxes . They are in contract and in the literature stating "2 stools in saloon" . Allowing seating for 6 and conversion of sette to sleeping area with shorter table legs and cushion. Dealer has calls to factory.
Thanks Ed
Ours is the cruiser version and came with two stools in salon, although one was optional and we were charged for it ($ 500 something, in September 2014)The shorter leg + cushion were also optional. We have it, but never used.
Old 14-04-2015, 13:55   #458

Quote:
White Cutting Boards - Commercial Quality Custom Sized Boards - CuttingBoardCompany.com

1/2 Inch WHITE Cutting Board
(Short Side: 12, and Short Side Fraction: 3/4, Long Side: 19, and Long Side Fraction: 1/2, Edge Style: Bullnose (rounded), Corner Style: Rounded)
FDM, thank you very much. We have ordered one too. Very friendly company.
Any more "improvements"?
As I want to do some single handed trips, I am thinking about your electric reverse winches near the helmsman...
Old 14-04-2015, 14:29   #459

Thanks Homero , pack indicates 2 stools in forward pack. Odd you were charged unless it was for a 3rd ? Well we will see if we use sette for sleeping , maybe just when college boys are home.
Cheers
Ed
aspenripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 14:44   #460

Aspen, This is Déjà vu to us. Our boat was ordered as the Cruiser version and it was delivered without the saloon stools. At first the salesperson told us that the stools were not included and an extra cost. I then sent the following to the dealer owner (who was fabulous throughout) and the stools were delivered a couple of weeks ago...

Regarding the portable stools, we are now indeed confused and are hoping that you can provide some clarity. Specifically, we would appreciate it if you could please clear up this confusion by checking with Beneteau directly to see if the 2 portable saloon stools are ‘standard’ on the Oceanis 38 3C Cruiser version we ordered, and if so, where they might be. The Oceanis Spec Sheet/Inventory list - USA [see attached] has the following references that led us to believe that the 2 portable saloon stools came with our version of the boat:
·Page 1, The additional 2 Stools, in the saloon are depicted uniquely as being included standard in the 2C and 3C Cruiser version schematics.
·Page 3, Under the heading ‘Additional equipment for private version – 3C Cruiser’ , “2 Stools, in the saloon” are included as standard in the 2C and 3C Cruiser version (and not for the other versions).
·Page 6, Under ‘Private forecabin Pack’ 2 Stools, in the saloon” are also described as standard equipment for the 2C and 3C Cruiser versions (and not for the other versions).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OCEANIS 38 US SPEC SHEET-ADDENDUM A.pdf (291.3 KB, 113 views)
Old 14-04-2015, 15:06   #461

Boat: Oceanis 35

Our 35 was also delivered without the two saloon stools although I specifically picked that option from the options list and paid for it. To make things worse, the settee configuration on the 35 was changed to "L" shaped settee contrary to all initial marketing materials that showed identical configuration between the 35 & 38.

It's been 10 weeks since the boat arrived in San Diego. The stools supposedly just arrived but need to be assembled. The dealer is looking into converting the L shaped settee back to a straight settee so we can use the two stools (or have the option of storing the one closest to the companionway steps on the hard to open up the layout).

I am less than impressed with the accuracy of package descriptions, price lists, specs, and dealer/factory communication. Do I sound frustrated yet??
Finnsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 15:09   #462

Homerobarros, Winches are beyond my technical skills, but with two teen daughters, I was asked to put a mirror on the wall each of the 2 aft cabins to avoid conflict for the main head where the only mirror is located. I custom ordered on the internet two 10" X 10" ones that are 3/16 thick with rounded/polished edges for $20 apiece and was planning on mounting them with 3M Extreme Double Sided Mounting Tape. I will send photos.
Old 14-04-2015, 16:08   #463

Quote:
Homerobarros, Winches are beyond my technical skills, but with two teen daughters, I was asked to put a mirror on the wall each of the 2 aft cabins to avoid conflict for the main head where the only mirror is located. I custom ordered on the internet two 10" X 10" ones that are 3/16 thick with rounded/polished edges for $20 apiece and was planning on mounting them with 3M Extreme Double Sided Mounting Tape. I will send photos.
Ahh, the teenagers... Well, my granddaughters are 1,2 and 3 years, so it will take quite some time before the mirror war starts...
Too bad SFO and San Diego is so far away from Florida, otherwise it would be nice to meet in person to check each one's boat/ improvements.
Thank you, FDM. Let's see now if Matt discover the mysterious fuse so we can be prepared when our blow up.
Cheers
Homero
Old 14-04-2015, 16:20   #464

Quote:
Thanks Homero , pack indicates 2 stools in forward pack. Odd you were charged unless it was for a 3rd ? Well we will see if we use sette for sleeping , maybe just when college boys are home.
Cheers
Ed
Ed, I did not order my boat. It had just arrived at the dealer and my broker said: they just got one today... So I checked the accessories and it had already the extra" stool, which they charged 500 something dollars for it. At that time, last year, either you took what they had, or wait 5 months...

I think you should have it, because the O 38 does not have much storage space. I keep all the tools, and repairs in one, and the other with the safety equipment (close to the companionway).
I am not sure I like the hanging suitcase/ roller idea. In fact, I am thinking of building a closet on both sides and eliminate the little unconfortable sit close to the bed on the forward cabin.
In less than 30 days I am going to sail from Fort lauderdale to the Exumas Islands, in the Bahamas, for 15 days. I will make a report when I come back, of what worked and what didn't.
Cheers
Homero
Old 14-04-2015, 17:23   #465

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38

My boat was build in early 2014 and I do have 2 stools in the main cabin.

It seems that the cushions that are used to convert the seating area to double bed are doubling as seating cushions in port aft cabin (seating area closes to the cabin door, it is a 2 cabin cruiser model).

I am wondering what boats without the "double berth in salon" option have for seating areas there.

Quote:
Cheers
Ed
Silver Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau