Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2015, 12:04   #376

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1
Re: Beneteau 38

Another useful metric regarding whether or not one should use a microwave on batteries:

5 minutes of Microwaving through an inverter requires one hour of re-charge time with the engine's factory alternator.

So "use sparingly" would be my advice.
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 14:32   #377

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38

Just wanted to add my thanks to everyone for this thread. It helped us make the decision to place our order a few weeks ago for a 2015 Beneteau Oceanis 38. We don't have a Hull# yet, but are excited to explore the Great Lakes starting this summer.
Sconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 15:21   #378

Boat: TBD

The profile of that thing is awesome. I read through this entire thread, watched the videos and now I have this love thing going on! Congrats on a great choice. I hope she ages well for you and that you enjoy many years together.
Old 31-03-2015, 16:01   #379

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Beneteau 38

Agreed Marc. I still lust after this boat despite the weird options package and apparent electrical gotchas. Congrats Sconnie on your decision. Maybe you can take this latest thread insight back to your dealer to ensure everything goes as planned.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 16:48   #380

By the way, I'm no longer having any issues with devices on the NMEA 2000 bus. The dealer sent a technician over and he replaced a bad terminator on the bus. That change fixed everything and was under warranty. Was a SIMRAD/Navico problem.

All the connectivity wiring is in one place behind the switch panel, so the whole thing took him about ten minutes.
Old 31-03-2015, 18:43   #381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
Just wanted to add my thanks to everyone for this thread. It helped us make the decision to place our order a few weeks ago for a 2015 Beneteau Oceanis 38. We don't have a Hull# yet, but are excited to explore the Great Lakes starting this summer.
Welcome to the club, Sconnie.

Matt and Fleur de Mer have a lot of experience in equipment and sailing, so they will be able to help when the time of decisions come.
Things I wish I had:
1) Bow truster
2) electric winches that can reverse near the helmsman.
3) a decent inverter to connect my Cpap machine without having to turn the generator.
4) a good Bimini ( for Florida)
5) a salt water foot pump for the sink
6) a remote control for the auto pilot on the Starboard.
Cheers
Homero
homerobarros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 18:51   #382

Re: water pump.

The recommendations are correct. Keep one closed. The pump won't cycle. Not worth going into the hydraulics of this, it's just a reality we've known about since our boats started being sold in 1986.

Another good reason: You will know when one tank empties, even without a level monitor. Then you switch over and know to refill the empty one. Immediate notification of a need for your "backup" water tank. No electricity or expensive monitoring involved.

It's a GOOD thing.

Great thread, tremendous detail and quite illuminating.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:00   #383

Boat: O38 & J24

Definitely an undersized inverted that was installed on my boat. see attached photo. I will be checking with dealer and Beneteau to see what they say as it does not seem right that they stock the boat with an inverter that won't even run the stock microwave or most other common appliances (like a drip coffee maker). Probably an honest mistake. I will let you know. FdM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inverter Manual.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	370.1 KB
ID:	99836  
Fluer de Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:16   #384

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluer de Mer View Post
Polux, Excellent point. I’m not an electrician so I can't comment on battery-to-inverter sizing, but my boat came with 1 X 80 Amp engine battery standard, 1 X 80 Amp service battery standard, plus 2 X 80 Amp additional optional service batteries ($4,295 ‘electricity pack' option), and 2 X 50 Amp dedicated Bow Thruster batteries [see attached pdf of batteries from owners manual]....
It seems that the inverter you got is adequate to the standard service bank battery that is just 80amp.

As you have 3 times that you can get a much higher capacity invertor. It seems to me not a Beneteau mistake (standard boat, standard inverter) but a dealer mistake that should know that with a 3 times bigger battery bank you could have a much bigger inverter. He should know also that the inverter you ordered would not be able to run the microwave.

Not easy to order a boat that can have a lot of options...an informed dealer is always a plus.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 14:00   #385

Boat: O38 & J24

FYI, Attached is the photo of the propeller zinc the diver swapped out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prop zinc O38.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	99840  
Fluer de Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 14:08   #386
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Ah, yes, the same metric/imperial confusion that caused NASA to lose a Mars lander.

No, seriously, I would encourage both the dealer and Beneteau to save face and blame this on 12/24 volt systems, or 120/220 inverters, or the metric conversions...just give them the opening that you can understand how their might be confusion but this inverter is obviously grossly unfit for this electrical system, and since it can be so easily unbolted and replaced with a correct one...perhaps they could attend to that.

I find it helps if you sympathetically offer a face-saving way out and a carrot the first time around. The second time around, I get out the stick. But I strongly suspect they'll gladly take the carrot, the goodwill and PR value and worth way more than an inverter, in any case.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 21:19   #387

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38

Hello everybody,

I just purchased an Oceanis 38, hull 009.

Just wanted to thank everybody for insightful comments that helped me a lot in making my decision.

Regards,
Max
Silver Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 21:26   #388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post
Hello everybody,

Just wanted to thank everybody for insightful comments that helped me a lot in making my decision.

Regards,
Max
Welcome!
Old 01-04-2015, 21:29   #389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
It seems that the inverter you got is adequate to the standard service bank battery that is just 80amp.

As you have 3 times that you can get a much higher capacity invertor. It seems to me not a Beneteau mistake (standard boat, standard inverter) but a dealer mistake that should know that with a 3 times bigger battery bank you could have a much bigger inverter. He should know also that the inverter you ordered would not be able to run the microwave.

Not easy to order a boat that can have a lot of options...an informed dealer is always a plus.
Concur with Polux that with the three batteries a much larger inverter is correct. In the ordering system for this boat, the "inverter" option requires the "electrical pack" which comes with the three house batteries--at least in the online configurator. Also the inverter is a pretty expensive option, much more costly than having a 3rd party put in the right inverter for the boat.

Really no excuse for this not being an 1800 watt auto-transfer pure sine-wave inverter given the capacities of the rest of the system. Glad I skipped the option and will be adding my own.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:59   #390

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post
Hello everybody,

Regards,

Max

What!?!!

Will you guys stop snapping up the new 38s? There will be none left for the rest of us! (Kidding).

Congrats Max. That's one big beautiful boat.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau