Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2014, 01:32   #196

Re: Beneteau 38

Rksailsolo
Congrats on the O 38. I am ver happy with mine. I live in Fort Lauderdale. Where will you keep yours, and when will it be down in South Florida?
Cheers
Homero

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
homerobarros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:31   #197

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerobarros View Post
Rksailsolo
Congrats on the O 38. I am ver happy with mine. I live in Fort Lauderdale. Where will you keep yours, and when will it be down in South Florida?
Cheers
Homero

When I pull the trigger, it will be somewhere in southern Palm Beach County, Lantana area. With so many choices for slips I am finding that choice to be complex as well considering its the second biggest cost component.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 03:53   #198

Beneteau 38

So I am here doing some post Annapolis processing of what I experienced. With the debut of the Oceanis 35 I continue to consider the practical costs of new purchase and yearly cost of ownership of this boat vs. the 38 and am favoring the smaller version. Given that, the. Jeanneau 349 has come back into play as it appears to have advantages including a potential better performance as it is more than 12" narrower with a finer hull entry and a square top mainsail option. Same lightweight displacement. Apparent lesser standard cost too. The 349 head/shower is much nicer in size and design with a serviceable pass through to the wet locker/storage garage from the shower.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1413283340.411040.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	89700What I don't like about the 349 in comparison are the friction rings although I could get used to them. The size differential appears mostly in a narrower cockpit and the aft cabin that looks like it's just barely a double bed size. The Oceanis 35 aft cabin has an athwartships bunk and with the wider beam, is almost identical to the Oceanis 38 in size. Beneteau has given us an interesting choice between the 35 and 38 as the models are so similar, almost feature-to-feature identical with the trade offs being in physical dimension. I need to learn more about cost differentials between it and the 38. Does not seem reasonable to be only $20K USD.
Until I get to compare actual performance of the three on the water, I will focus on cost of ownership. Slip fees, insurance, and overall maintenance should be less on the smaller boats, and that adds up over time. Visiting Ft Lauderdale around Thanksgiving where I hope to learn more.

Anyone else looking at the 35 and the 349?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1413283108.448663.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	89699  
Old 15-10-2014, 12:39   #199

Hi RKsailsolo
I went through the same dilema. Investigated the Jeanneau 349, 371 and ended up with the Oceanis 38, and could not be happier.

3.7 feet longer water line than the 349 will make a difference. With 5 adults on boat, 10 knots true and 50 degrees close hauled, we were doing 7 to 7.3 knots.

The cockpit is huge for a 38. I am 6'2"and banged my head on the 38, imagine on the 349. The water reservoir is also decent with 87 Gallons.

Regarding insurance, it will depend most on your previous experience and certification. I ended paying 3.9 k for my with a total price of 260k fully equipped.
Feel free to contact me if you want to come and sail the 38 in Fort lauderdale.
Good luck in your search. It is already 50 % of the fun.
Cheers
Homero
Old 15-10-2014, 16:11   #200

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
Jeanneau 349 has come back into play as it appears to have advantages including a potential better performance as it is more than 12" narrower
I would consider the wider beam the advantage, as it means a steadier ride, less heeling, and (theoretically) requiring less ballast. I would also much prefer the athwartships bunk, as I would prefer that as the owner's cabin instead of the pointy bunk forward. The Oceanis 35 also has four windows inside as opposed to two.

Still, the Jeanneau is a bit more stylish in my opinion, and looks like higher quality at first glance.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 05:09   #201

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrebe View Post
The full name of the FB group is: "Beneteau Oceanis 38 Sailboat Owners". Johan I believe I've sent you an invite, but if you could search for this group and let me know if you can find it I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Matt

Matt,
I still can't see it. It may be a settings thing or a regional thing?

johanhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 06:08   #202

Beneteau 38

Quote:
Hi RKsailsolo

I went through the same dilema. Investigated the Jeanneau 349, 371 and ended up with the Oceanis 38, and could not be happier.
Thanks. I ruled out the Jeanneau 371 as it has no real advantage vs. the Oceanis 38. The $ difference between that and the Jeanneau 349 is compelling though, and it has no arch. At the Beneteau booth, I was informed the 38 is up to hull #49. It's catching on in the market.
Quote:
3.7 feet longer water line than the 349 will make a difference. With 5 adults on boat, 10 knots true and 50 degrees close hauled, we were doing 7 to 7.3 knots.

The cockpit is huge for a 38. I am 6'2"and banged my head on the 38, imagine on the 349.

Regarding insurance, it will depend most on your previous experience and certification. I ended paying 3.9 k for my with a total price of 260k fully equipped.
Longer waterline with more carrying capacity makes sense she would be fast, sounds like fun to me. I got a similar quote at the show from the Progressive Insurance people. That cockpit size on both the Oceanis 35 and 38 IS larger than the Jeanneaus with a more narrow beam plus the coamings curve in towards each other at the companionway. I read that the arch and the drop down transom are options on both the Oceanis 35 and 38. If I decide new boat, It may be worth the cost to raise the arch by two inches if possible without messing up the main angles.

Appreciate your insights and experience. Which broker did you use in Ft Lauderdale? And is this repeat business for you and that broker?
Old 18-10-2014, 06:17   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
I would consider the wider beam the advantage, as it means a steadier ride, less heeling, and (theoretically) requiring less ballast. I would also much prefer the athwartships bunk, as I would prefer that as the owner's cabin instead of the pointy bunk forward. The Oceanis 35 also has four windows inside as opposed to two.

Still, the Jeanneau is a bit more stylish in my opinion, and looks like higher quality at first glance.

Those extra two port lights in the Oceanis 35 make a big difference in bouncing natural light around the saloon vs the Jeanneau 349. I see more appealing style on the deck, hull, and cockpit for the 349, but the 35's interior wins my visual attention vs the more conventional interior of the 349.
Old 18-10-2014, 07:18   #204

Rk,
I have been seriously investigating which boat to buy for the past 3 years. Have talked to several brokers, but no one has given me more attention and knowledge than one called Sean Braun from Miami, who is absolutely not pushy and extremely knowledgeable. He is a naval designer, racer and deliver skipper. We couldn't be happier. His number is 305 439 0426 and his email is sean@jsbrowndesign.com
Good luck RK.

Old 20-10-2014, 02:10   #205

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanhook View Post
Matt,
I still can't see it. It may be a settings thing or a regional thing?
So, the FB group does not show up when I searched on FB, but I found it by finding your FB profile...
johanhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 13:40   #206

Quote:
Rk,
I have been seriously investigating which boat to buy for the past 3 years. Have talked to several brokers, but no one has given me more attention and knowledge than one called Sean Braun from Miami, who is absolutely not pushy and extremely knowledgeable. He is a naval designer, racer and deliver skipper. We couldn't be happier. His number is 305 439 0426 and his email is sean@jsbrowndesign.com
Good luck RK.

Thanks, I will hookup with Sean.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 20-10-2014, 13:44   #207

He represents both Beneteau and Jeanneau.
Cheers

Old 20-10-2014, 17:57   #208

Boat: O38 & J24

Today Beneteau rep told me that - post Annapolis - they are now up to hull 82 for the O38. Don't know if this is spin, but my hull is supposed to be 61 and I ordered it on 8/31 (I'm told that it should ship in next two weeks and they will confirm # then). Does anyone know how many boats OEMs usually sell in the first year?

Also, has anyone purchased the OEM asymmetric spinnaker? If so, please let us know what it looks like (color/patterns, etc.), whether it is well made, and how it deploys (sock?)/sails/jibes. Thx JH
Fluer de Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 19:53   #209

Beneteau 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluer de Mer View Post
Today Beneteau rep told me that - post Annapolis - they are now up to hull 82 for the O38. Don't know if this is spin, but my hull is supposed to be 61 and I ordered it on 8/31 (I'm told that it should ship in next two weeks and they will confirm # then). Does anyone know how many boats OEMs usually sell in the first year?

Also, has anyone purchased the OEM asymmetric spinnaker? If so, please let us know what it looks like (color/patterns, etc.), whether it is well made, and how it deploys (sock?)/sails/jibes. Thx JH

Mstrebe ( in this thread) is a new owner having just purchased the San Diego demo boat. Maybe he's got what you need regarding the symetric.

I was in Annapolis Benetau booth at the show and recollect a broker told me he thought they are building hull 50. If that's true, it means that as of end of this past August, global model sales had at least an 11 boat factory order sequence ahead of yours. Whatever calculation you use, it suggests a growing order list that expresses popular demand for the model. I think it's almost impossible to generalize first twelve months model sales as there are too many sailboat builders in the world at every level of the market. If your limiting that search to high production builders, it could be easier to try to discover 1st year sales data for that model.
Old 20-10-2014, 20:13   #210

Whatever he's saying, it don't matter 'cuz it's music to my ears.

Great video on experience.

Tags
beneteau