Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2006, 08:51   #1

Beneteau 36cc on Open Waters

Hi all, this is my first post (and have no doubt will be slated to pieces!)

I've been browsing some threads, and have seen that many people slate Beneteaus as blue water cruisers.

Though, I was wondering, does the boat really matter? Or isn't it more a case of the crew's ability to sail her?

Isn't it better to know your boat, whatever it is, and to make sure it's equipped adequately?

Personally, I'm considering buying a Beneteau 36cc for living aboard, and would like to do some blue water cruising in the future. I realise a lot of people would passionately disapprove of the blue water cruising idea, but I like a challenge.

Anyway, just a thought.
Cardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2006, 18:52   #2

could I ask where and how far you plan to go? How long be you plan being between ports, single hand or crew? To be honest I don't think this yacht would be my first choice for a blue water yacht at all, but it could do the job if you were careful and controlled the weather you plan sailing in!

Having delivered a few of these fibreglass spa baths in my time I have had a few problems. They leak, they fall apart if put hard on the wind, anchoring is a chore and you are awake all night thinking of that tiny cleat holding your anchor chain to the boat. Of course their are good features also such as nice moulded head areas etc. More info required I guess for a complete answer.

Preferably for me a heavy displacement bullet proof machine is what I sail in, however saying that we will be moving to a very well built fibreglass cat in the future.
southernman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 05:06   #3

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Cardo, I too would encourage you to be fairly specific with your question by adding a follow-up post. Here are some (not all) areas you might address WRT how the boat will be cruised:
-- size of the crew (and therefore the # of sea berths you'll need, the amount of provisions you'll want to store, the water tankage you'll need, storage needs for personal effects and so forth)
-- your expected cruising area(s) as, even more important than the distances involved, the geographic limits will tell us a lot about the suitability of the boat. To illustrate and altho' they are all offshore passages well exceeding initial weather forecasts, sailing out to Bermuda and then down to the E Caribbean is a very different challenge than sailing down to New Zealand from Fiji or sailing out to Hawaii from San Francisco.

IMO it's quite accurate to state that this kind of boat is not intentionally designed for extended blue water cruising that e.g. requires crossing an ocean. It would be fine to take down to CA's coast to Mexico or to (motor)sail down to the Caribbean, assuming good weather planning and suitable seamanship. Generally, its structures are somewhat lighter, tankage smaller, sea berths fewer, and especially its deck and rig hardware are lighter than what you'll find on boats intended for extended offshore sailing. "Slating" aside, you can examine this boat and its gear and validate those points empirically.

Jack
Old 26-09-2010, 13:25   #4

Boat: Moody 36 (1981)
Beneteau

You might want to look at www.aboutcruising.com. these people have written a number of books about their cruises, some 116,000 miles worldwide, in a Beneteau First 38 built in 1985. I believe they reinforced the rig by by increasing the stays one size.
It might help.
Searanger50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 13:51   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
As someone wrote, Benes were not made specifically for offshore work. And they certainly have some disadvantages for that role. But don't listen to those who tell you that you will surely die if you get out of sight of land on a Bene. Plenty of people (including our own Mark J) have sailed around the world on them. They are not entirely my cup of tea, but they are good boats, and good value for the money, particularly the older ones. The usually have a turn of speed which is a big advantage over many supposedly more suitable blue water boats -- speed and weatherliness are very important. If you like it, go for it. I would myself prefer a Bene over some of the heavy, slow so-called blue water boats out there.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 14:48   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Cardo, friends have one, unfortunately I have only sailed her across Portsmouth harbour so can't really comment on her sailing ability. However it was a foul day with horizontal rain so that GRP top was a real boon. You will remember last winter in the UK was the coldest for a long while. They spent the winter on board in a marina with shore power. They did say it was cold on board with a couple of electric heaters, but they survived so you need to think about insulation, ventilation and heating if you are planning living on board in the UK.

I thought the layout good for a couple given the overall size and a good half decent double bed in the stern cabin. The full cockpit covers make an extra room so you will need these.

Would I sail it across the Atlantic, hmm not sure, but certainly down to the Med. I think the only way to find out is to go and charter one, preferably out of season, somewhere like Scotland.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 17:00   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 419
there are Benys and there are Benys
Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 18:03   #8

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
personally, I'd choose anything over one of those flat bottom Benys
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 18:18   #9

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Cardo asked the question 4.5 years ago - probably figured things out by now...

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 18:55   #10

Boat: a sailing boat
No problem. Just make sure your blue water trips are within what the boats can deliver.

A Bene is not a Najad, but it does not mean one needs a Najad to go cruising.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 00:48   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Cardo asked the question 4.5 years ago - probably figured things out by now...
Oh bollicks, missed that. Why do people bring up really old threads like this? I can understand if its about a problem that someone else has, but a request for information about a boat type

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 17:14   #12
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Would I sail it across the Atlantic, hmm not sure, but certainly down to the Med. I think the only way to find out is to go and charter one, preferably out of season, somewhere like Scotland.
The weather youll get on that trip ,will be much worse then anything in the Atlantic. Beneteaus can go anywhere

dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 19:25   #13

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The weather youll get on that trip ,will be much worse then anything in the Atlantic. Beneteaus can go anywhere

dave
vertically
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 04:28   #14
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
of course they do vertically quite well at times

dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 18:22   #15

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Beneteaus can go anywhere
but not everywhere.

Still, they do well what they have been designed for.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau