Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2008, 12:27   #46

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
It seems they started the Cyclades line to compete with Bavaria in the Med charter fleets.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:33   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
The best cost benefit comes with buying older production boats which , having been built at a time when both labour and materials were cheaper and they didn't trust fibreglass al that much , were much better boats, built to a standard which would be prohibitively expensive today. Boats like the older Frasers, Spencers, Albergs, etc, built in the 60's and 70's are far better boats at a fraction the price of a Beneteau. While Beneteaus which capsize at 120 degrees are considered acceptable in terms of stability, many older designs have positive stability beyond 170 degrees, and a much better motion at sea, as well as having far better directional stability and are far more structurally sound.
They also leave you with enough money left over to actually leave the marina and go places.
Brent
hi Brent, your post is interesting. I live in Toronto and was considering buying a newer Beneteau. However i like the thought of saving money and buying an older (better quality boat). Do you recommend a particular boat broker?..is there anything in the market now that catches your eye?

Thanks!
Dave
wannabesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 17:01   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I think you ought to charter a Bent 343. I did in Florida. Twice in fact. It wasn't for my type of sailing, but it may be for you. You have the advantage of trying out the models that you are interested in a charter fleet- take advantage of the opportunity. And go out in some real seas, you may be surprised.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 19:16   #49

Location: Sold the Full Moon in PR, now on St Simons Island, GA
Boat: Hunter, Deck Salon, 44, Fullmoon
I sailed on 5 different B's last year in the BVI and Greece. Sailed in very light winds at times, one full day of 15-18 knt winds and a squall. They all sailed fine. I would say, if you like it and can afford it, buy it.
Fullmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 19:58   #50

Boat: `99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 s/v Witchcraft
Re-purposed thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabesailor View Post
hi Brent, your post is interesting. I live in Toronto and was considering buying a newer Beneteau. However i like the thought of saving money and buying an older (better quality boat). Do you recommend a particular boat broker?..is there anything in the market now that catches your eye?

Thanks!
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I think you ought to charter a Bent 343. I did in Florida. Twice in fact. It wasn't for my type of sailing, but it may be for you. You have the advantage of trying out the models that you are interested in a charter fleet- take advantage of the opportunity. And go out in some real seas, you may be surprised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullmoon View Post
I sailed on 5 different B's last year in the BVI and Greece. Sailed in very light winds at times, one full day of 15-18 knt winds and a squall. They all sailed fine. I would say, if you like it and can afford it, buy it.
Hey guys, This thread is over five years old. Brent Swain hasn't posted here since Feb of last year and I'm sure the OP has long since made his boat buying decision.

Like the OP, I sail on one of the Great Lakes. I day-sail on Lake Michigan, want to cruise the Great Lakes and the Admiral wants a bigger (read more stable) boat than the 8 foot wide, water ballasted boat we have now.

We've chartered a Beneteau 311 on Lake Superior (Apostle Islands) and it was too small. We've sailed the San Juan's on a Beneteau 361 and it felt right but the older ones still are too expensive for my budget. I am looking at a number of boats in the 34-36 foot range and I am interested in hearing from guys, like you, that have sailed BendyToys on the Great Lakes and/or in the BVI. Do you have information to share about the 343 or 351 models?

We think we will spend a couple weeks in the BVI next year. There will be 4 or 6 adults aboard. Any opinion on monohull vs. multihull in the BVI?

Paul
MSN-Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:38   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Uuuh- I feel dumb. Remind me not to post to old threads....
BTW- I love Valiants. Would never go back to a current production boat- except maybe a Valiant.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 16:48   #52

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Re: Beneteau 343 ?

Don't worry about the old thread. This stuff is REALLY useful for a newbee thinking about buying a 343.

Thanks for the input (at any time...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Uuuh- I feel dumb. Remind me not to post to old threads....
BTW- I love Valiants. Would never go back to a current production boat- except maybe a Valiant.
GrahamO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 04:57   #53

On a similar vein, I've been racing on a Beneteau last couple of Wednesdays and the Capitan/owner doesn't back into his slip, rather pulls along side and has us spin the boat by hand and pull us in backwards. He says it's because of the shape of the Beneteau keel and spade rudder which prevents control while backing..... anybody ever hear of problems backing up Beneteaus?
Popeye1921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 10:12   #54

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

A good friend backed his 343 into the slip beside me every time for the 11 years he had the boat. It was very tiresome to watch as my boat doesn’t offer nearly as much control in reverse! It certainly can be done.
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 18:25   #55

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

I would be interested in the British reference. Beneteau's 35 feet and above are CE certified A. There is not a higher certification as far as I know. 40 knots and 13 foot sea state, but excluding hurricanes. If you look at the cross ocean rallies, the only data I have to look at, there are more Beneteaus than any other boat. A compromise sure, but I found mine to be of similar quality to the Jeanneau, Catalina, Ericson and Pearson boats I've owned. I'd rather have an Amel 50 over my Sense 50 for sure, but the Amel is twice as expensive.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau