Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2005, 06:23   #1

Boat: currently "on the beach"
Beneteau

I am trying to sort out the various Beneteau models. Their model #s seem to change more often than Hollywood marriages. A few current YachtWorld listings include a 1993 35s5, 1997 351, 1999 352 and 2000 361. Are these essentially the same boat ? Appears the 35s5 and 361 are different hulls, but hard to know. Also any comment on which might be the better built series would be helpful. Search criteria is higher quality coastal cruiser @ around 100K built in the 90's or newer. I am also looking at the JBoat 24C and/or 35C. Known issues are of interest. For example, a surveyor mentioned transom moisture issues with the J.

capt lar

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:24   #2

Boat: currently "on the beach"
JBoat 34C or 35C - sorry, typo.

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:21   #3

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
This site should help with teh sorting out beneteau ?

http://www.beneteauowners.net/index.htm

and

http://www.beneteauusa.com/sail/previous.php

The are two primary series the First series which is their racer/cruiser line and the Oceanis etc. series which is the cruiser line, and that's about all I know.

Other than I did look at a 35s5 back when we bought our frers 36 in 1988/89. Wife really liked the ultra modern interior. frers was/is a much better boat so we bought that used instead of a new 35s5.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:59   #4

Boat: Morgan 382 "Tropical Wave"
Capt Lar, we just sold our J/30 after a happy 9 year relationship. I believe the moisture problem refered to results from the poor design or poor installation of the engine exhaust in the transom - the builder just drilled a hole thru the hull and installed the pipe. It was sealed, but after 20 years, there wasn't much sealant remaining. Water leaked into the core around the exhaust pipe, and we had to replace the core in the lower half of the transom and about 2 ft underneath as well. We were not aware of this issue until a surveyor discovered it on our boat, since them I have heard of it on a number of J29's and J/30's, since the J/35 is of the same vintage I expect it might be a problem there as well.

The J/Boats have cored hulls, so any of them that are not very well maintained may be subject to water in the core. Of course that applies to most boats, but those with cored hulls havce more core to worrry about.

Having said that we would certainly buy another J with no hesitation, subject to a thorough survey.

John
chuckiebits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 17:43   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 35S5
Beneteau

I have a Beneteau First 35S5. Absolutely love it in all aspects bar one. When at anchor the flat undersides aft of the rudder cause a fairly vigourous 'hull slap' in anything other than the calmest sea conditions. See my thread 'Hull slap at anchor' for possible solutions.

My onlt other criticism would be that it seems to have insufficient water storage for more than a few days, although this could be due to the long showers my better looking half believes are necessary!
Jeremy Summers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau