Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-03-2013, 20:03   #1

Bene First 405 Vs. Newport 41 MKII Vs. Albin Nimbus 42

I'm considering the following 3 boats for extended cruising / circumnavigation, is there anyone that has actually sailed them that would like to share their thoughts? Comments from actual cruising experience on them would be particularly valuable. Please don't just say "it's a great boat" or something like that (we all end up loving our boats no matter what they are), but please discuss specific negative/positive traits instead.

- Beneteau First 405
- Newport 41 MKII
- Albin Nimbus 42

This list of boats is the result of discussion from this thread. If you are thinking to recommend a different boat instead, please read all my posts in that thread as they explain my priorities and preferences.

Many thanks!

Old 10-03-2013, 20:57   #2

Re: Bene First 405 Vs. Newport 41 MKII Vs. Albin Nimbus 42

How easily do they heave-to?

Old 10-03-2013, 22:24   #3

Bene 405 is a great sailboat. The Newport 41 is the old C&C 41 which was purchased by Capital Yachts in California. I know nothing about the Nimbus 42.
One of the owners of Hydrovane is out there right now cruising with the 405 and he would be a good guy to talk to as he's on the way to the South Pacific right now..he's got a small blog going on Hydrovanes website. I think you'll find the tankage and storage to be a bit of a challenge but its an excellent sailor and built well.
The Newport 41 is a bit skinny, around 11 feet if I remember. Its an old 60's CCA design that was an excellent sailor in its day and still is. Pretty boat for sure.
If your considering these boats you should put a Tartan 41 on your list. They are wonderful offshore boats and were designed by S&S in the hayday.
The challege is to not spend too much money outfitting these boats because it can cost you as much as you paid for the boat and you'll never get it back. Find one of your choices that was really well outfitted and pay a small premiem for it, you'll be thousands ahead when the dust settles.
Old 10-03-2013, 22:34   #4

The Bene and the Newport both have spade rudders, the Tartan has a big tough skeg hung rudder. If your going to take an older boat with a spade rudder offshore its not a bad idea to pull the rudder and carefully inspect it, drill a hole in the bottom and see what color of water runs out (rust) if you get rusty water its a good idea to open it up for a good eyeball and rebuild it if necessary. change rudder bearings and if the rudder checks out to wrap it in fresh glass because most of these were built in 2 halves.
Old 10-03-2013, 22:58   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Without any crap, ill give you the lowdown on ours, its a 42 but from the same era, and basicly the same boat, I believe the 405 is the 38 with with rig and keel mods..
First you asked about heaving to... Hard to do without some clever rigging with a sea anchor, as the boat wants to run out of its slick.. understand we're talking about a boat that was designed and built for all out ocean racing in the early 80s... Cruising was second thought..
The plus, due to its thououghbred design, the rigging, is built to handle anythingva cruiser can put it throu. The rigging is plated at the deck but is tied to the lower area of the hull to a support running lengthwise for the major part of the boat.. my likes in above deck standing rigging is that all standing rigging is square across the deck without forward.or rearward stays slowing for the boom to lay totally flat across the boat.. remember this boat is designed for max tuning of all sails. The upper area of the mast is sectioned narrower for easy mast bending. We were lucky to find an owners version which is cutter rigged with check stays for adjustment.. again, these adjustments don't have to be done but allow for.sail design adjustments.
A good example is the object of going to weather, with a couple simple adjustments of bending the mast, and tightening up on the sail, you"ll have the advantage of flattening the sails and de powering the rig for less heel. The boat is also designed with a high aspect rig , with the object of getting the high air and.not all the turbulance of the air at sea level..
Now handeling,
Once she is set, she runs like she was on tracks.. very little side to side movement or rocking back and forth.
The down side, forget down wind sailing wing on wing except in very calm conditions as with the pinched stern, she wants to fish tail. A real handfull in rough conditions. But by turning off a few degrees and running with the wind off your quarter, you'll bring her to life and find her sweet spot.
Weve seen speeds in the high teens with ours and the faster she runs the smother she feels..
At anchor, youwill feel the wave action if different from the wind but what we've done when this happens is to attach a line to the anchor chain. Let the chain out about 20 feet and run the line back to one of the cockpit winches,, a few.cranks and youcan turn the.nose to the comming seas and all settels down.
Inside she's a palace, with a gally to.cook full meals in and a settee to streach out in very comfortable
Motor wise, we have a Perkins 4 108 and can motor at 6to7 knots.
Now a plus for myself, she has a dedicated nav station with a table large enough for.a full size chart.
Hope this helps

Tags
newport

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: